FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 100513 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #795 on: Mar 05, 2024, 10:09 AM »
Been my hesitation to fish it the last couple of years.  Since covid its kind of been a canal scene.  Have only really gone at night.

It was horrendous Pat.  I took the day off to hit it.  Mild, gray out and thought it was perfect.  Now, to be fair that is ideal trout weather but the number of guys out was significant.

I would have fished south where I took you but it was 1200 cfs...generally pretty quiet down there.

Bartman44

« Reply #796 on: Mar 05, 2024, 10:29 AM »
Nice rainbow.

I hear you guys, I was in the Catskills yesterday and there were tons of people fishing, Cabin fever got to everybody? Thought retirement would give me the stream to myself on a Monday - NOPE!   

lowaccord66

« Reply #797 on: Mar 05, 2024, 11:52 AM »
Maybe they all have flexible PTO Bart?  Again, I dont mind seeing people I welcome it.  But if you are a gentlemen you give a wide bearth and it took extra work yesterday.

westernmas

« Reply #798 on: Mar 05, 2024, 02:34 PM »
My winter holding spot is pretty small with only two spots to really fish.  I didn't get out there until mid afternoon so figured someone would be there.  I actually saw one NY plate and it was a guy fishing a mile downstream.  Pretty rare to see anyone on the westfield outside of stocking season.  Access to the main stem can be rough outside of the normal pull offs.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #799 on: Mar 09, 2024, 01:38 PM »
I got out in Riverton yesterday.  More of a novelty than hunting nice fat wild browns where I like to fish on the river. After a quick spin up and down the upper 2 miles to survey which pools were taken I found a section to myself...one cookie cutter rainbow on a black stone.  Ice broken.  Rivers are going to get a bit higher this weekend....once they do ill harass stockies with spinning gear and jigs.

lowaccord66

« Reply #800 on: Mar 16, 2024, 06:04 AM »
Slammed some stockies yesterday.  It was like being a kid again.

Bartman44

« Reply #801 on: Mar 16, 2024, 09:55 AM »
Nice, I'm waiting for some lower flows but getting anxious.   

lowaccord66

« Reply #802 on: Mar 16, 2024, 07:07 PM »
12-6 shift today with my duaghter.  Fished the Nepaug, Naugatuck and Farmington.  We ended the day on the farmington yesterday where I got 1 decent bow on a cased caddis.  Flow was 600 cfs in riverton which was alot.  Downstream spots were over 1400.  So we started on the Nepaug for stockies.  The fish were not nearly as enthusiastic as yesterday.  Landed a brown and a brookie.  Went ti the Naugatuck to a pool thats a community hole and it was just that.  Stocked yesterday and the rainbows were hammering a jig streamer.  We left it was too much of a novelty and that drew in some interesting people.

We were headed for salmon river (ct) and I thought I should check the farmington flows before we drove out.  Low and behold they cut the flow down to 355 at the dam.  The catch and release section was 5/600.  To my surprise a pod of rainbows must have moved downstream from the stocked area upstream.  They ate a #8 pats and a size 14 frenchie recklessly for a while.

Good day.  We may do some more tomorrow or go flyfish for pike in the boat.

bogtrotter

« Reply #803 on: Mar 16, 2024, 09:07 PM »
12-6 shift today with my duaghter.  Fished the Nepaug, Naugatuck and Farmington.   . . . Good day.  We may do some more tomorrow or go flyfish for pike in the boat.

Way to go! Fishing with your kids is one of the best experiences you'll remember in the years to come.

lowaccord66

« Reply #804 on: Mar 16, 2024, 09:25 PM »
Way to go! Fishing with your kids is one of the best experiences you'll remember in the years to come.

We had a blast, Jim.  Thanks!

lowaccord66

« Reply #805 on: Mar 18, 2024, 02:12 AM »
Day 2 was equally fun.  Shorter trip with more wind, cold, and some snow showers. 

Fished a wild trout stream first and caught a couple browns.  Then went back to the catch and release section of the farmington and hammered some rainbows. 

#8 pats and a #16 walts was the ticket.

westernmas

« Reply #806 on: Mar 18, 2024, 08:13 AM »
Nice work Jon.  Wish they would stock the westfield branches while the flows are high and cold versus dumping them into the ponds around here.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #807 on: Mar 18, 2024, 01:52 PM »
I want to try that housy trib we spoke about last year. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #808 on: Mar 24, 2024, 07:01 PM »
Nice of the rivers to blow out...hit the aspetuck.  1 stocked rainbow.  Better than nothing.

lowaccord66

« Reply #809 on: Apr 07, 2024, 08:45 PM »
Fished a new river today.  One stocked bow. 

Thinking about a trip to NC mountains around June for wild trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.