FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whoa -- pretty rude -- Port of Indiana  (Read 1881 times)

LundProv

Whoa -- pretty rude -- Port of Indiana
« on: Feb 02, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Beautiful day here in Porter County and after getting a lot of loose ends tied up and taking a nice 45 minute walk, I decided to put the 9' St. Croix Wild River Series rod in the burb and head out to the Port of Indiana.  I debated going to Portage for an hour of casting from the shore but decided to try the Port.  I used to go to the Port pre 9-11 and a bit post 9-11 and never remember any problems or tension.  So, as I approach the entrance, I see a sign requesting photo ID and no problem.  So, I head out and navigate to the IDNR public access and a lot of old memories are starting to surface.  I remember taking my young sons down on those rocks and catching a lot of coho in years past.  So, I walk down and for those of you that know the Port, there is a boat ramp (we as tax paying citizens of course are not eligible to use) with a nice, flat sidewalk around the perimeter.  I walked the sidewalk and absolutely casted twice as NO ONE was there.  I then proceeded to the rocky area and was casting when a young lady came out of no where in a little silver car.  She was wearing a yellow security jacket and informed my that I had about 15 more minutes to fish as the fishing is closed at sundown.  Apparently, sundown is 5:08 this time of year...   So, I listen respectively and continue to cast for a bit.  Again, there is NO ONE around and I initially think that they really don't stop you from fishing --- do they?  So, I am 64 years old and pretty respectful of rules and regulations and decide to pack it up and leave.  Nice to cast a few times and even though no fish, I will head home and watch the super bowl.  So, as I am leaving, I slow down at the guard house at the entry point and pull over a bit to chat with the fellow who looked at my license and let me in.  Then the fun began...   I simply told him I used to fish there years ago and was wondering what the new rules and regulations were.  For the most part, he exploded and said -- sun up to sun down.  I asked him if there was a sign posted at the IDNR identification sign at the site with the hours posted and then he got even more ballistic.  He told me we as fisherman don't even belong in the port and need to stay in the restricted area.  He could have me arrested and fined $10,000 for walking on the sidewalk.  I was really close to asking if the sidewalk is posted no trespassing -- it absolutely is posted No Fishing -- but decided not to push it.  This security person was really irate and told me if it wasn't for the DNR, we would not even be able to fish out there.  I did a foolish thing of saying there was a lot of taxpayer money spent to build the port and could tell -- it was time to go.  Again, I am an average 64 year old with a life time fishing license.  I guess I am a threat and was told if I was caught on the sidewalk again, I would be fined and thrown out of the Port for the rest of my life.  Whoa!   I absolutely walked on the sidewalk and I absolutely saw the no fishing sign but recall fishing from there years ago with no one saying a word.  Also, there was no one around but apparently, big brother has cameras.  He also informed me that all DNR access sites in the state are allowed to be fished from daybreak to sunset -- this was news to me.  So, I probably won't be heading back to the port anytime soon.  My son was fishing the ditch a mile to the west in Portage at the same time with some friends and actually caught several coho.  I would encourage anyone wanting to fish lake michigan to either go to Michigan City or Portage but avoid the Port -- you could get banned for life...

natahka72

Re: Whoa -- pretty rude -- Port of Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I guess they know a shady character when they see one. 8) ;D
Sorry about your experience.

wallin

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Don't let someone else's bad day cause you to have a bad day too is my moto.
God Bless ya and you have a good day too.
If I'm mad then I'm going to make you mad too lol.

Well most of us think your a fairly good guy but now we know that you could be a good guy since you weren't arrested lol.
Fish-On
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2020, 04:42 PM »
If I remember right there was a limited amount of area you were allowed to fish. Possibly maybe 100 to 150 feet of shore. It has been years since I fished there, but, it was from close to where the tug boats dock just west of them on the break wall. Probably hasn't changed any the past 25 years......

Jig_Head

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Wth.....that's crazy. I go there bout 5 or 6 times a year. Once last year I did fish til dark and was asked to leave but the guy was nice about it. I have seen security come outta nowhere before like that woman did to you. I've never talked to the security checkpoint guy, just roll down your window and hold your ID out at him as you go by at like 5mph.
Al theres a pretty good area you can fish as you can fish almost that whole north side, not just the point

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:01 AM »
I think the DNR has a legal officer that should be consulted. Maybe you could share this experience with that official and maybe get some better advice than from a irate guard.
I have had a few run ins with Michigan and Indiana "law enforcement" imbeciles and got clarification from higher up in writing too.
Put it in writing and mail it. Then the individual in charge can take the time to research the situation before responding.
Perhaps the DNR can have the rules published at the location described. If it is for fishermen to also use then we should not be discouraged from doing so. However, we need to know the rules before we can be empowered to fish with confidence. Don't let the bullies reign.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.