FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A tuna sort of day...  (Read 5052 times)

Capt. Travis

A tuna sort of day...
« on: Apr 12, 2006, 07:21 AM »
We fished out of Oregon Inlet in North Carolina on 3/31/06.    Headed out in the Atlantic to find conditions like this.

You don’t get too many days this nice and we where smiling.   Beautiful morning.

It wasn’t too long before we found them.   The battle was on.

Turns out that bite was a smaller Yellow Fin Tuna.     Here he is freshly boated.

Cleaned him up a little bit for a “proper” photo op.   Not a bad fish, typical spring time yellow belly in Carolina.    Didn’t find the big boys that day but caught our share of this size.

Latter in the day we also came across this guy.    A little mako.   He cooperated nicely and let us snap a few shots.   We turned him loose after his photo session.

Not a bad day to be alive.
You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
Re: A tuna sort of day...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2006, 07:54 AM »
nice shark how big was it
OR      [IMG]

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2006, 11:17 AM »
nice pics.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2006, 11:19 AM »
WOW! :o That shark is cool. :afro:

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Great Tuna and really cool shark WTG
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Nice photos Capt. Travis, the tuna and mako would be a blast to catch, I have never fish the salt water but will have to sometime. :)
I have heard that tuna are one of the ocean hardest fighting fish and with the big tuna the fight can sometimes go 12 hours or more. :o

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Hood

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 05:54 AM »
nice tuna there Cap.  :thumbup_smilie:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Capt. Travis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:28 AM »
Crowkiller  that was a small mako.  It was around 50” long.    Federal law requires them to be 54” to keep.   We generally don’t keep any of them till we hit the couple hundred pound range.    The one in the picture weighed less than a sack of cement.    He was very cooperative and let us snap some great pictures though.    They don’t always play so nice.

Waterwolf  they do have some pull in them.   They can take some time to boat if you happen to hook a fish on light tackle.     That was the case last year during the Poor Girls Open Tournament.   Woman anglers only and we hooked a decent Blue Fin tuna.    The woman fighting the fish didn’t have much experience and of course we hooked the fish on a light outfit.    The fight lasted 5 hours.   For the last couple of hours she and the fish where so tired the fight came to a stalemate.   I could see the fish 60ft down in the water just swimming in slow circles.   She was so exhausted she couldn’t finish the job for quite a while.   Finally after the stand off she rallied and put in a hurculean effort.   This was the result.    Second place fish in the tuna division at 126lbs.    The angler is the girl with her hand on the fish… I’m the ugly guy in the grey shirt.    I was impressed with her determination.

You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:45 AM »
OMG, a 5 hour fight would kick the crap out of me too!! That is a great looking fish though.

Mike

Grimace

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2006, 07:18 PM »
I think we all know how determined women can be when they want to fight.

5 hrs nothing,   my old lady can put the cold shoulder on for days.    lol ;D

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2006, 11:42 PM »
I think we all know how determined women can be when they want to fight.

5 hrs nothing,   my old lady can put the cold shoulder on for days.    lol ;D

:rotflol: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:   

Isn't that the truth,  I got lucky and found one that only last a day at the most. :whistling: 

Capt,

They are some great fishy pics.  My GF loves makos....... she want fish for them though because she does not want to hurt them..... :cookoo:

How far out did you go for the yellows?

JIggerman

Capt. Travis

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2006, 07:16 AM »
Grimace  you crack me up man...  Truer words have not been spoken.    Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Jiggerman, that day we where 38 miles off the beach.   The run in Carolina is a short one.   We spend most of our time fishing off of the coast of Maryland and the run to the fish is normally between 40 and 60 miles.   Get her out there on a sharking trip...   We run plenty of catch and release trips for folks who want the experience but don't want to keep thier fish.    It a blast to catch makos  they put on some of the best arial displays...  Its a sight to watch one come 15 feet out of the water!

troop19

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 01:03 PM »
nice fishing guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.