FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: recreatioal boats exempt/ hunter age change  (Read 1916 times)

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
recreatioal boats exempt/ hunter age change
« on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:16 PM »
here you go, from the new york post!

Posted: 3:56 am
July 27, 2008

IT DOES not happen often, but both the House and Senate passed a bill that will permanently restore a long-standing exemption for recreational boats from requiring a discharge permit under the Clean Water Act.

Congressional action was spawned by a US District Court decision in September 2006 under which an estimated 17 million recreational boats would have fallen under Clean Water Act permit requirements effective Sept. 30. The permit would have dictated maintenance and operation procedures and potentially subjected boaters to citizen lawsuits as well as a penalty system designed for industrial polluters.

"This is a fabulous victory for common sense, and it just goes to show what can be done when the boating public, the marine industry and its representatives in Congress row together in a bipartisan way," said BoatU.S. President Nancy Michelman.

Gov. Paterson has signed the long-awaited Junior Big Game Hunting and Trapper Mentor Bill into law.

The new measure now allows 14- and 15-year-olds to hunt big game when accompanied by a person over 21 with at least three years of big-game hunting experience. It requires both the youth and mentor to wear hunter orange (minimum hat or vest; orange camouflage being acceptable); the mentor must maintain physical control over the minor at all times (in close physical proximity, in constant visual contact and able to issue verbal directions and instructions).

The inclusion of the blaze orange requirement reportedly helped the bill gain the support of many legislators who in the past have not supported lowering the age to hunt big game. The bill specifically prohibits the hunter and mentor from using treestands.

Another aspect of the bill is that it will allow an adult other than the parent or legal guardian, with written permission, to take a junior hunter out for small game at age 12.

It also allows youths less than 12 years of age to accompany a licensed trapper over 21, with at least three years of trapping experience, and participate in all aspects of trapping without requiring the youth to be licensed.

The measure takes effect immediately.

[email protected]

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

CAPTJJ

Re: recreatioal boats exempt/ hunter age change
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Both are great news, Thanks pooley.

dav

• (No better time to wet a line)
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2008, 07:13 AM »
PHEW, Good news........ I was waiting to hear about this outcome.

Thanks,
dav

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:12 AM »
thanks for the great news!!!!!!!!!!!!   

longbeardking

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Thanks Pooley. Often, common sense does not prevail. I guess this means I can continue leaving my money in New York state. :) :)

freshfish

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Wow! I'm so happy they included that treestand ban because now I can take my 11 year olds!!
So good to see the government finally making it legal to do what most of us have already been doing. What a joke from people only interested in taking money from hunters to support their pet projects. How much money do you think they figured it'd make them? Its not like they were thinking about the kids.

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2008, 06:07 AM »
I am amazed that youths in NY could not hunt earlier!  Here in NH, any minor can hunt with a licensed person over 18 years of age. My first deer hunt carrying a gun took place when I was only 6!  If I am reading this right, if I could not have hunted until I was 12 years old, I would not be where I am today. More than likely, I would have been screwed up on drugs at that age like many of the other kids in my class at that time!

Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.