FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 4765 times)

steve01987

Circle Hooks
« on: Jul 21, 2020, 10:04 AM »
How does everyone like these? I don't mind using them for shiners in the winter but I really dislike using them for chunk bait especially when shore fishing for striper.  They puncture the bait too shallow and then when you try to rotate your bait  and re hook it it just mashes your bait up and flies off the hook when you cast it.  I hope they save a ton of fish lives because I'm not finding them very effective for surfcasting.

Steve H.

Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2020, 09:30 AM »
I haven't used them much for chunking, only live-lining macks and eels.  I think the work fine for those applications, just so long as you don't try to set the hook by jerking the rod, instead simply let the line come tight and start reeling. 

For chunking, I agree, it would be very difficult to double-hook the bait, especially something soft like herring.  I'd think you'd pretty much need to hook once through the skin or a firm section of the chunk and hope for the best. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2020, 11:06 AM »
How does everyone like these? I don't mind using them for shiners in the winter but I really dislike using them for chunk bait especially when shore fishing for striper.  They puncture the bait too shallow and then when you try to rotate your bait  and re hook it it just mashes your bait up and flies off the hook when you cast it.  I hope they save a ton of fish lives because I'm not finding them very effective for surfcasting.

They have some rubberband bait holders that might help.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:52 PM »
A hook designed for billfishing with bait trolling very fast....years ago when I started trying them I gut hook more bass on circles than an offset octopus.  Just my experience and a sore subject as the ASMFC thinks overregulating recreational striper anglers is going to fix the crash in their numbers. 

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2020, 08:34 AM »
A hook designed for billfishing with bait trolling very fast....years ago when I started trying them I gut hook more bass on circles than an offset octopus.  Just my experience and a sore subject as the ASMFC thinks overregulating recreational striper anglers is going to fix the crash in their numbers.

Can someone please explain, and please forgive, I'm relatively new to salt water fishing in general.. when do I have to use circle hooks? The book says "We recommend using circle hooks" when reading the write ups. But then in the regulations with bag limits it says specifically for striped bass and bluefish that you have to use circles when fishing with chunk bait. What if I am fishing for fluke, or seabass? Do I need to release a bluefish I caught on a standard fluke rig with a wide gap, not circle hook? Or do you guys fish with all circles in case you hook a stripe bass? And it's only with chunk bait that I have to use the circles? A tube rig obviously doesn't need a circle hook?

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2020, 11:01 AM »
The biggest problem with gut hooking with circle hooks come from hook selection and setting the hook. What ever size your use to using with traditional hooks, go up at least one or two sizes and make sure they are inline and not offset. Then when the fish takes it, just start reeling, DO NOT jerk on it or set the hook in any way. Mose people are use to sizing the hook to the bait, with circle hooks you have to match the size of the hook to the gape of the targets mouth. Rubber bands around chunk bait, or just glob on the worms.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

dconice

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Can someone please explain, and please forgive, I'm relatively new to salt water fishing in general.. when do I have to use circle hooks? The book says "We recommend using circle hooks" when reading the write ups. But then in the regulations with bag limits it says specifically for striped bass and bluefish that you have to use circles when fishing with chunk bait. What if I am fishing for fluke, or seabass? Do I need to release a bluefish I caught on a standard fluke rig with a wide gap, not circle hook? Or do you guys fish with all circles in case you hook a stripe bass? And it's only with chunk bait that I have to use the circles? A tube rig obviously doesn't need a circle hook?

New to salt as well... been doing some reading and came across this on the MASS DMF site.  Some of the FAQ line up with your questions.  Adopted from ASMFC so probably similar to NH regs...

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-changes-to-recreational-striped-bass-limits-in

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2020, 05:59 AM »
New to salt as well... been doing some reading and came across this on the MASS DMF site.  Some of the FAQ line up with your questions.  Adopted from ASMFC so probably similar to NH regs...

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-changes-to-recreational-striped-bass-limits-in

Hey welcome aboard.  8)  What took you so long?

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2020, 03:10 PM »
The biggest problem with gut hooking with circle hooks come from hook selection and setting the hook. What ever size your use to using with traditional hooks, go up at least one or two sizes and make sure they are inline and not offset. Then when the fish takes it, just start reeling, DO NOT jerk on it or set the hook in any way. Mose people are use to sizing the hook to the bait, with circle hooks you have to match the size of the hook to the gape of the targets mouth. Rubber bands around chunk bait, or just glob on the worms.

Not for nothing but I'd like to know where you get your data on what "most people" do?  That seems to be quite the wide brush stroke. I had 2 years off commercial rod and reel fishing for them....a majority of that was done using eels....in my real (not guessing about what others do) experience even larger circles were no match for 40lb striper gullet. 

Circles were designed for billfish trolling...high speed hits and hookups...no place for the standing angler....if you watch people who land bass on them, they do when they let the bass effin suck the chunk into its stomach.  At least with an offset octopus you can sting right away.

Bottom line is this....ASMFC, one that setup public meetings on these topics are very vary heavily lobbies by commercial fishermen...when this came out I joked with myself thinking they were setting up rec fishermen for failure in using circle hooks...save a few tons of harvest for the commercial guys....who yoyo bunker for stripers (high mortality rate, real high)....anyways off the soap box...the only reason to fish a hook for stripers is an eel...otherwise you don't need em at all!

dconice

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2020, 05:53 AM »
Hey welcome aboard.  8)  What took you so long?
Thanks Denny... finally signed up back in May (after being on the Shanty side for years) but hadn't got around to making a post...

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2020, 07:25 AM »
OK... all circle hooks are not created equal... Jon has made some very good and valid points and I agree with them.. but want to avoid the political side of this..

I've been "testing" and using circles for about 20 years,in both fresh and salt water... to be short and sweet about it, if you must use circles, the Owner Matu tournament light is the best circle hook I have found bar none, and I've tried a ton... as much as I love Gamakatsu ( I've been using them since '86), their circles are fish killers, I've found that more than half of the fish get gut hooked. and about 10% of the ones that are not come un buttoned..
The Owners rarely miss, and better yet, rarely gut hook, I've taken ( C&R boat side) over 100 fish this season over 20lbs.. only 1 was gut hooked ( most of these were taken on eels).. Ive taken ( caught ) more fish under 10 lbs than I can count  with only a miniscule amount gut hooked.. most are buttoned neatly in the jaw hinge.. I have only 2 problems with this hook( and I can get over both of them) #1.. the rust easily, a few nights in the salt and they are toast, which actually is a good thing should I  gut hook a fish and have to cut line , leaving the hook behind...#2, they only come in ringed eye and cannot be snelled, so I use a palomar knot and forget about it...

FWIW... IMHO.. J hooks are superior for fishing eels, I rarely gut hook a fish using them, but seeing my commercial days are long over, If I miss or loose a fish at this point of my life.. well... there is no crying in fishing.

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2020, 10:52 AM »
OK... all circle hooks are not created equal... Jon has made some very good and valid points and I agree with them.. but want to avoid the political side of this..

I've been "testing" and using circles for about 20 years,in both fresh and salt water... to be short and sweet about it, if you must use circles, the Owner Matu tournament light is the best circle hook I have found bar none, and I've tried a ton... as much as I love Gamakatsu ( I've been using them since '86), their circles are fish killers, I've found that more than half of the fish get gut hooked. and about 10% of the ones that are not come un buttoned..
The Owners rarely miss, and better yet, rarely gut hook, I've taken ( C&R boat side) over 100 fish this season over 20lbs.. only 1 was gut hooked ( most of these were taken on eels).. Ive taken ( caught ) more fish under 10 lbs than I can count  with only a miniscule amount gut hooked.. most are buttoned neatly in the jaw hinge.. I have only 2 problems with this hook( and I can get over both of them) #1.. the rust easily, a few nights in the salt and they are toast, which actually is a good thing should I  gut hook a fish and have to cut line , leaving the hook behind...#2, they only come in ringed eye and cannot be snelled, so I use a palomar knot and forget about it...

FWIW... IMHO.. J hooks are superior for fishing eels, I rarely gut hook a fish using them, but seeing my commercial days are long over, If I miss or loose a fish at this point of my life.. well... there is no crying in fishing.

What size hook you using for eels?
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Roccus

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2020, 11:20 AM »
What size hook you using for eels?
5/0

steve01987

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2020, 02:22 PM »

Good information.  For someone like myself just getting into saltwater fishing and using the most basic methods of fishing striper (casting out chunk bait from the shore and letting it sit) it was a bummer for me not being able to use J hooks.  But I'm slow getting used to the circle hooks.  I will try the owner tournament hooks.  Thanks

steve01987

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2020, 09:13 AM »
circle hooks are for rods in holders.  other than that they should be j hooks.  my opinion comes from catfishing them.  they great for blues with rods in holders on a boat.  not so great fishing flatheads from the bank.  I base my opinions on hook ups in both situations.

just because they didn't work for me don't mean they wont for you though.  they have their place is all.

I've been using the circle hooks and just setting my poles in the pole holders.  I've been strictly shore fishing.  Sometimes I hold the poles in my hand and wait for a strike and start reeling in slowly.  I cant even begin to explain the amount of hit and spits I've been getting.  Last night I fished a small cove on the piscataqua river under the general sullivan bridge and I just kept the bail open because I'm wondering if the striper are spitting the bait when they feel the tension.  I also have the Avenger baitfeeder reel and I've been playing around with that some.  Using the open bail method I managed to catch 3 lousy eels...I should have live-lined the eels but they were a little big for the gear I had.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.