FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 4764 times)

Roccus

Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2020, 08:30 AM »
I've been using the circle hooks and just setting my poles in the pole holders.  I've been strictly shore fishing.  Sometimes I hold the poles in my hand and wait for a strike and start reeling in slowly.  I cant even begin to explain the amount of hit and spits I've been getting.  Last night I fished a small cove on the piscataqua river under the general sullivan bridge and I just kept the bail open because I'm wondering if the striper are spitting the bait when they feel the tension.  I also have the Avenger baitfeeder reel and I've been playing around with that some.  Using the open bail method I managed to catch 3 lousy eels...I should have live-lined the eels but they were a little big for the gear I had.

here's 1 of 13 last night that all were buttoned neatly in the corner of the jaw..

steve01987

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Sounds like a fun night to me.  Sounds like you had no issues setting the hook

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2020, 05:04 PM »
OK... all circle hooks are not created equal... Jon has made some very good and valid points and I agree with them.. but want to avoid the political side of this..

I've been "testing" and using circles for about 20 years,in both fresh and salt water... to be short and sweet about it, if you must use circles, the Owner Matu tournament light is the best circle hook I have found bar none, and I've tried a ton... as much as I love Gamakatsu ( I've been using them since '86), their circles are fish killers, I've found that more than half of the fish get gut hooked. and about 10% of the ones that are not come un buttoned..
The Owners rarely miss, and better yet, rarely gut hook, I've taken ( C&R boat side) over 100 fish this season over 20lbs.. only 1 was gut hooked ( most of these were taken on eels).. Ive taken ( caught ) more fish under 10 lbs than I can count  with only a miniscule amount gut hooked.. most are buttoned neatly in the jaw hinge.. I have only 2 problems with this hook( and I can get over both of them) #1.. the rust easily, a few nights in the salt and they are toast, which actually is a good thing should I  gut hook a fish and have to cut line , leaving the hook behind...#2, they only come in ringed eye and cannot be snelled, so I use a palomar knot and forget about it...

FWIW... IMHO.. J hooks are superior for fishing eels, I rarely gut hook a fish using them, but seeing my commercial days are long over, If I miss or loose a fish at this point of my life.. well... there is no crying in fishing.

Thanks Joe.  I guess I could have left the political aspects out of it, but its maddening.

Roccus

« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2020, 06:10 PM »
Thanks Joe.  I guess I could have left the political aspects out of it, but its maddening.
[/quote

Your.good...IMHO you handled it just fine..I just don't see the need to aggravate myself..
That aside, those hooks make releasing fish boat side easy...   I keep hearing how poor the fishing is, I'm not fishing  hard( by my standards) and I'm having the best year numbers and size wise in about 10 years.

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Aug 04, 2020, 07:51 PM »
I haven't been out much but did catch some decent slot fish at the canal not long ago.  Felt good.  All to easy to jig lakers on the big lake and that has captured my attention.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2020, 03:22 PM »
here's 1 of 13 last night that all were buttoned neatly in the corner of the jaw..

Nice job, Joe.
I've seen lots of striper pics this year plus plenty of nice cows.
Seems to be a good numbers this year for those in the know.

Roccus

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Nice job, Joe.
I've seen lots of striper pics this year plus plenty of nice cows.
Seems to be a good numbers this year for those in the know.

Really good fishing, rivaling the "good old days" inside ,outside, doesn't matter, if you know the tide and water temp.  that's producing, it's game on... a lot of very respectable fish, and tons of small ones, I just wish I didn't see so many undersized  floaters.
I've been releasing most fish in the water, some are double hooked  where the hook came around and rehooked the fish, "sewing" the corner of the mouth...I've found that once the drag starts, you can "punch" the barb home and you eliminate the dropped fish, but the hook must be "in place" before you set it.

Lobsters are crawling good too. Some of the biggest keeper lobsters I've seen in quite some time.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Really good fishing, rivaling the "good old days" inside ,outside, doesn't matter, if you know the tide and water temp.  that's producing, it's game on... a lot of very respectable fish, and tons of small ones, I just wish I didn't see so many undersized  floaters.
I've been releasing most fish in the water, some are double hooked  where the hook came around and rehooked the fish, "sewing" the corner of the mouth...I've found that once the drag starts, you can "punch" the barb home and you eliminate the dropped fish, but the hook must be "in place" before you set it.

Lobsters are crawling good too. Some of the biggest keeper lobsters I've seen in quite some time.
Good deal on the fishing and bugs. I think both the slot and circle hooks are double edged swords? Too many people don't know how to handle and release fish correctly and quickly for better survival. I've read lots of stories this year about deep hooked line siders with circle hooks. Maybe more knowledge needed there, too?   

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2020, 08:17 PM »
Good deal on the fishing and bugs. I think both the slot and circle hooks are double edged swords? Too many people don't know how to handle and release fish correctly and quickly for better survival. I've read lots of stories this year about deep hooked line siders with circle hooks. Maybe more knowledge needed there, too?   

Agree.  I haven't been in the game for nearly as long as Joe but I see younger folks participating and they can't help but to take 18 shots of a bass for fb or Instagram...or worse.  The amount of poaching is excessive these days, especially down where I used to hunt cows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.