FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Perch Vs. Stripers...which is better eating?  (Read 7129 times)

fiddlehead322

Re: White Perch Vs. Stripers...which is better eating?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 07:04 PM »
And oh yeah, they do eat better than stripers! ;D

Crestliner

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 06:29 AM »
Is there any sure fired way to tell the difference between white perch and white bass?  I believe they actually are two different species, but the fish I catch at the Quabbin Res. in West/Central MA are usually caught on the bottom and in schools in very specific locations.  I believe they are white perch, but there must be a way to really tell for sure?

Hood

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 07:16 AM »
Dude, stripers are one of the best eaters Ive ever had. Send beerman a PM and he will hook you up with a badass way to bake em with crumb topping.  ;D

Absolutely have to flip your skinless fillet over and get rid of as much of the "bloodline" meat as possible. Thats where the nasty fishy taste resides.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Fishingking

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 07:22 AM »
I ate some White Bass when I was out in SD. Lots of dark meat that hand a very strong flavor. It wasnt that great :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 08:14 AM »
Hey chilly, Didn't that landlocked silver-sided wiper come from Crappieville?

The one with the picture at night did come from crappieville.  The other one didn't.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Is there any sure fired way to tell the difference between white perch and white bass?  I believe they actually are two different species, but the fish I catch at the Quabbin Res. in West/Central MA are usually caught on the bottom and in schools in very specific locations.  I believe they are white perch, but there must be a way to really tell for sure?
What you are catching is white perch for sure. There are no white bass in the "Q" .Take a look at www.fishbase.org 
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Crestliner

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 12:32 PM »
I was pretty sure that the ones I see are white perch.  This is what they told me at the launch areas.  What I was wondering is how do you tell the difference between them and the white bass that so many fishing articles are written about?  Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer.  Thanks for the input.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 01:58 PM »
I thought there might be a way of telling the 2 apart from the web page I put up but I did not check.I should also add white perch caught from nice clean water like Quabbin are  good eating.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Art 53

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 08:01 PM »
I think it makes a difference where and when you catch white perch. the end of ice season I brought 4 perch less than 1 lb each home fried them up yummy. last week two bigger fish 2+ lbs there in spawning you might as well eat mud this was in N,H. good clean water.  As far as Striper's I only have saltwater one to compare and there's no comparison

pirkaus

• Have you ever been too drunk to fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 06:14 AM »
I think it makes a difference where and when you catch white perch. the end of ice season I brought 4 perch less than 1 lb each home fried them up yummy. last week two bigger fish 2+ lbs there in spawning you might as well eat mud this was in N,H. good clean water.  As far as Striper's I only have saltwater one to compare and there's no comparison

I would have to agree that the time of year and the water's quality that the fish are taken from have a big influence on the fish's flavor
Salt water stripers are delicious
If the rule is 5 fish or 5 pounds, what if the 5th fish weighs 5 pounds?

chowdah

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I love white perch fillets deep fried with tartar sauce in a warmed sandwhich roll!!! YUM! I've caught them ice fishing and in spring while salmon trolling, flesh was firm and excellent tasting. Served a batch to my friends and their kids who are very finicky eaters and they all loved them and asked for more when there was none. These fish caught in clean New Hampshire waters but never had any caught during hot summer months as we are usually Striper fishing then. Stripers are excellent on the grill. We eat lots of them. If you do not get rid of the dark meat a lot of folks won't like the strong flavor. Which one is better? The one on my plate!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.