FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Perch Vs. Stripers...which is better eating?  (Read 7136 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
White Perch Vs. Stripers...which is better eating?
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I've eaten white perch...I didn't quite care for it.  Seeing as stripers are so closely related to white perch, I always assumed they tasted similar.  The thing is I hear everyone saying how good eating they are...but I've heard people say that about white perch too :sick:

So what is the deal, are stripers better eating then white perch?

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
Re: White Perch Vs. Stripers...which is better eating?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:55 PM »
do you mean white bass or white pearch.????i like white bass..wich are super close realated..but white perch are gross.....i didnt mind striper the last time i ate it though.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

fishryc

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:14 PM »
White perch suck-  off white flesh with that ruddy brown outer layer that follows the lateral line.
 White bass; or silver bass as we call them in western NY, are so so as far as table fare goes, imo. However, they are a popular pannie in many parts of the country.
 Stripped bass, at least the saltwater run - non - hybrid type are pretty good eating. I've fished them on Cape Cod and have kept them at the ever changing size limit of around 32 inches and they really were good eating.
 The hybrid cross of the saltwater striper's and freshwater white or silver bass that are a very popular gamefish in many landlocked midwestern USA reservoirs and lakes are unfamiliar to me as far as eating goes. I'll guess that they are pretty good though, based on the popularity of their fishery.
S
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:47 PM »
White perch suck-  off white flesh with that ruddy brown outer layer that follows the lateral line.
 White bass; or silver bass as we call them in western NY, are so so as far as table fare goes, imo. However, they are a popular pannie in many parts of the country.
 Stripped bass, at least the saltwater run - non - hybrid type are pretty good eating. I've fished them on Cape Cod and have kept them at the ever changing size limit of around 32 inches and they really were good eating.
 The hybrid cross of the saltwater striper's and freshwater white or silver bass that are a very popular gamefish in many landlocked midwestern USA reservoirs and lakes are unfamiliar to me as far as eating goes. I'll guess that they are pretty good though, based on the popularity of their fishery.
S

Hybrids are great table fare !
Ilived in nebraska for several years and they are a highly sought after fish in the bigger lakes and reservoirs as you said .
They offer a great fight too once you find them . They usually run the cooler deep water is fairly large schools .
Follow the sea gulls ... where they are found you will find baitfish and where you find them you will find hybrids .

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:57 PM »
I never caught/ ate a hybrid but I can tell you the purebred stripers are great eating. Never ate white perch as I only caught them in a river that I wouldn't trust eating anything out of.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Stripers are far better eating than white perch.

Stripers are actually very good eating, I don't like white perch much.

carpcatcher

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I really like eating saltwater stripers but not fresh water ones. Just make sure you get "ALL" the dark meat out or you will not eat the rest of your meal once you take that bite. I've never goten any white perch so I can't coment on that.
        Jim
Love 2 fish

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Just make sure you get "ALL" the dark meat out or you will not eat the rest of your meal once you take that bite.
        Jim
so true, make sure that you trim out all the darker reddish meat out when you fillet them, I've also heard and have had it soaked in milk before it is fried or baked.  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Man, I can't believe nobody eats white perch.  In Maine they are awesome, I'd rather eat them than trout or salmon.

fishryc

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Man, I can't believe nobody eats white perch.  In Maine they are awesome, I'd rather eat them than trout or salmon.

Are you sure they're white perch and not white bass? (white perch are not silvery metallic as are silver or white bass, but more of a beige color. Plus, the outer rim of their bottom jaw has an iridescent purple hue to it) Hard to believe they taste good in Maine since I've tried them from a few different waterways. Maybe it's just a preference; I like perch, gills, crappie, sunnies, walleye, and pike. Detest trout, salmon, and all the other fish that are not white and flakey.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

G. Gordon Liddy

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:01 PM »
The white perch here are silvery metallic.

This one doesn't look as bright because it was taken at night

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Mac, my uncle trolls the harbor area for eyes at night...what he calls silver bass are actually white bass - not white perch...they look just like white perch, but are a bit bigger, and sometimes have faint horizontal bars across their sides.  I have had white bass, and found it to be somewhat better then white perch, but still not great.

Pikeguy

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 02:06 PM »
I'll stick with Largemouth. MMmmMMmm ;)

fishryc

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 04:16 PM »
These are what we catch as "incedentals" while trolling for eyes on Lake Erie.
We have always kept and filleted them.
We really like them.
Especially grilled on the campfire at night.
Anyway, we have always called them silverbass.
My 2 pennies worth.

Mac

Here in Western NY, what we call "Silver Bass" are generally called "White Bass" elsewhere. The fish photographed by chillywilly is not a silver bass, but a white perch (as he has correctly ID'd  them). If this is what you refer to as Silver Bass, you may have not taken an actual white bass or silver bass.
 White  / silver bass are really silver; I mean liquid mercury silver and shiney!. The Lower Niagara has alot of them in some years; it's a cycle thing. Every "X" number of years, they are so thick in very late April through May, you take them on EVERY cast in the Artpark area (using white twisters, white Maribu Jigs, live emeralds, etc) They are also taken in the fast flow shoreline areas of the Upper Niagara such as the foot of Ferry Street (they're in right now, BTW, but not too heavy; "off cycle" year, perhaps)
  They're alot of fun on 4# in that current; plus they are quite a bit bigger than white perch. I've taken a couple white perch this year in the Upper Niagara off the "Lighthouse" off Niagara Street.  These were the biggest white perch I've ever taken; but not nearly approaching the up to two pound silvers that we get on the occasional years in the Lower Niagara.
  Plus, white perch and white bass have very different feeding patterns. If you took it on or near  the bottom of a lake and on a worm harness, (common at Lakes Oneida and Erie) it was a white perch.
 In our neck-o-the-woods, white bass are generally taken in fast water and only during the spawning time of late April through May; outside of that, they're scarce.
 Best ID mark for white perch is the iridescent purple underside rim of the outer bottomside of their lower jaw.
 Anyway Mac- see you at the Catt!

G. Gordon Liddy

fiddlehead322

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Hey chilly, Didn't that landlocked silver-sided wiper come from Crappieville?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.