FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98790 times)

zwiggles

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #240 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:07 PM »
My understanding is that they are a rarity in the Farmy as well.  I don't think they have stocked them for at least two years.  I fully expected it to be a small wild brown.  I'm not sure if it is possible for them to be born naturally.

It is very rare, but definitely possible for it to happen in the wild.

lowaccord66

« Reply #241 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:01 PM »
It is very rare, but definitely possible for it to happen in the wild.

Yup they are.  I haven't caught one all season!

CMD1987

« Reply #242 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:26 AM »
My understanding is that they are a rarity in the Farmy as well.  I don't think they have stocked them for at least two years.  I fully expected it to be a small wild brown.  I'm not sure if it is possible for them to be born naturally.

I remember reading once that the odds of a natural tiger trout are extremely long. I think they’ve found like 2 Confirmed natural tigers in the entire history of the mass fish sampling survey.

bogtrotter

« Reply #243 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Someone told me once (I don't know if it is true) that the DFW does not stock tiger trout in the Western District because the refrigerated  trucks cannot get out that far from wherever the hatchery is - - so that any tiger caught in the Western District is (presumably) wild.

Personally, I only know of one person (who, I should add, was not me) to catch a tiger trout in the Western District.

The only ones I've caught were in the Pioneer Valley District.

westernmas

« Reply #244 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Someone told me once (I don't know if it is true) that the DFW does not stock tiger trout in the Western District because the refrigerated  trucks cannot get out that far from wherever the hatchery is - - so that any tiger caught in the Western District is (presumably) wild.

Personally, I only know of one person (who, I should add, was not me) to catch a tiger trout in the Western District.

The only ones I've caught were in the Pioneer Valley District.

I'm not sure if I believe this notion.  Aren't there hatcheries in the western MA district?  I've only caught a few in my life but one was out of the Chesterfield Gorge which I think is technically the western district.  There is however a possibility that it swam up river from the pioneer valley.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #245 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:59 PM »
all tiger trout in the state come from the sandwich trout hatchery down the cape. they do stock them in the major ponds out west like onota.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #246 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:01 PM »
got a couple browns in the swift on my first attempt at tying flies. wolly buggers worked for me while people were getting skunked on those tiny size 30 midge and nymphs they like to use.

Bartman44

« Reply #247 on: Dec 05, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Congrats on the tie and catch. Good looking fish, never liked those size 30s either.

We have a fly tying thread buried in here somewhere that we need to bump up now that it's cold and dark.         

westernmas

« Reply #248 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Nice brown!  I can't bring myself to use those tiny flies too often either.  This time of year you can typically entice them with streamers like buggers but that isn't always the case.  You don't need a size 30 but typically smaller is better once winter sets in, like blood midges, zebra midges, etc. in sizes like 18-20.  You can also tie a small midge in front of or behind a bugger which helps with short strikes.  When the midge is in front it makes it look like a bait fish chasing after a midge.

Winter tends to be the only time I really sit down and do any tying.  The rest of the year i'd rather fish.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #249 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Fished last Sunday.  Couldn't buy a fish on a midge.  #8 rubber legs continues to dominate.  It is egg pattern time.

Unfortunately the last rain pushed the flow from 470 to 1900 cfs.  I expect that will happen again this weekend. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #250 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:18 AM »
got a couple browns in the swift on my first attempt at tying flies. wolly buggers worked for me while people were getting skunked on those tiny size 30 midge and nymphs they like to use.

Big stonefly imitations work well this year.  Nice brown.  Is that OPST lazar line I see?

zwiggles

« Reply #251 on: Dec 13, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Nice job keeping at it low!

My last day hunting is Sunday. You still going to keep fishing the moving water, or is the hard water calling your name?

lowaccord66

« Reply #252 on: Dec 17, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Nice job keeping at it low!

My last day hunting is Sunday. You still going to keep fishing the moving water, or is the hard water calling your name?

1 hr left of work and I will be in the river.  Forgot my simms fleece pants...need to buy them again.

Z I have been testing my skills catching trout on the fly rod later and later into winter.  Im itching for ice and most of my stuff is ready but I am mins away from the Farmington so I take advantage.

bogtrotter

« Reply #253 on: Dec 17, 2019, 10:57 AM »
[Z I have been testing my skills catching trout on the fly rod later and later into winter.  Im itching for ice and most of my stuff is ready but I am mins away from the Farmington so I take advantage.
[/quote]

I'm amazed you're still able to catch trout on the big rivers.

More power to you.

Given current conditions in my neck of the woods, I'm afraid the only productive open water fishing I'll be able to do for the foreseeable future is likely to be on the little brooks.

lowaccord66

« Reply #254 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Bailed from work during the ice storm. Results 6 bows 2 browns.  #8 rubber legs on point, blood midge on the tag.

Cant decide between the river or ice fishing for Christmas eve. 

Jim water temp in the stretch I was in was mid 40's, very bearable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.