FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winni derby (may }  (Read 5537 times)

swnoel

Re: winni derby (may }
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 06:13 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the prior derbies bought fish to stock prior to the derby? The salmon fisheries is a put and take one and if that was a requirement I'd have little complaint.

ishoot308

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the prior derbies bought fish to stock prior to the derby? The salmon fisheries is a put and take one and if that was a requirement I'd have little complaint.

As far as the Winni derby is concerned, no one has ever "purchased" fish to supplement the derby.  While I agree the salmon are "put and take", the fishery has crashed and 75% of the salmon are gone. That does not make for a healthy fishery for anyone. I honestly see no reason to cancel the derby as I know many enjoy it with their families and friends but why not re-format it to target a different species (Lake Trout) until the salmon population rebounds?... would that be so bad?...

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 08:29 AM »
at 1 time didnt money from the derby help fund the stocking or some of it when Rick was in charge i have fished the derby several times in the past always had a good time with family and friends

ishoot308

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54 AM »
at 1 time didnt money from the derby help fund the stocking or some of it when Rick was in charge i have fished the derby several times in the past always had a good time with family and friends

I could be wrong but not that I remember...The derby was started by Rick in unison with F&G to reduce the salmon population in the lake at a time of over stocking and inadequate smelt forage.

Dan

AquaAssassin

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Great Posts Dan!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 06:44 PM »
I could be wrong but not that I remember...The derby was started by Rick in unison with F&G to reduce the salmon population in the lake at a time of over stocking and inadequate smelt forage.

Dan
i was gonna look at some of the older post on the lake winni site but looks like that site is closed

Hottuna5150

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 07:11 PM »
And what could make that even more fun? Catching them twice the size!  ;D

When it comes to fish bigger is usually better (unless they’re tank scraping broodstock).

... it took me a while to choose my words about “bigger being better” carefully.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 08:24 PM »
When it comes to fish bigger is usually better (unless they’re tank scraping broodstock).

... it took me a while to choose my words about “bigger being better” carefully.

;D :tipup:

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Good luck to anyone fishing this tourney next weekend, it was humiliating out there yesterday. I threw everything I had at them for 6 hours and came up blank. Surface temps were still largely in the 45's. I saw some 48's while over deeper water.

swnoel

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 05:34 AM »
Good luck to anyone fishing this tourney next weekend, it was humiliating out there yesterday. I threw everything I had at them for 6 hours and came up blank. Surface temps were still largely in the 45's. I saw some 48's while over deeper water.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one... only caught 2 smallmouth. Gonna try and find some white perch today...

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11 PM »
derby just a few hrs away good luck to all fishing  enjoy your weekend send us some pictures'

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 07:07 AM »
1 vote for burb sharks over broodstock here.  I'd rather French kiss my aunt than fish in a derby.

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 09:58 AM »
what shee look like

AquaAssassin

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 10:16 AM »
what shee look like

Haha! Well played! Thought I was going to haveto do it  :tipup:

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 11:21 AM »
what shee look like

You'd get more excited kissing the burp shark....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.