FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 152051 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2019
« Reply #780 on: Nov 24, 2020, 12:53 PM »
&feature=youtu.be
The “Frosty side.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #781 on: Nov 24, 2020, 12:58 PM »
The Santa side
&feature=youtu.be

Fun stuff.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #782 on: Nov 24, 2020, 02:41 PM »
The craftsmanship is amazing, they’ll love them!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #783 on: Nov 24, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Thanks.....Every piece except the shaft made by me in ‘The Little Wood Shop”. I was watching them go round and round and just chuckled.

It was a challenge getting them both to turn. One gave me problems until I discovered that the distance from the candles was critical. Once I duplicated the dimensions they both worked flawlessly.

Then there was balancing the platforms with the various decorations. I actually had my digital kitchen scale down there and weighed the pieces. Then there was where and how to position them on the platforms to alleviate a heavy spot. Way more engineering than I’m used to.

But, I think they’ll like them.

Now on to 20 bird house  ornaments for a customer. Did a bunch of lathe work today, but, I tweaked my lower back helping my neighbor butcher a massive deer. Had to stop after a couple hours.

I’ll get back at it tomorrow.

Rg

iceman260

« Reply #784 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Nice work they move pretty fast, you can probubly adjust speed by removing candles.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #785 on: Nov 25, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Oh, they start slow and reach a peak then slowly lose momentum. They’ll run for over an hour. Anyway...onward runs the train. More Christmas presents to concoct.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #786 on: Nov 25, 2020, 04:36 PM »
That is just awesome Bob.. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #787 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:27 PM »
20 little bird house ornaments all ready to ship to a repeat customer.

On to a few more presents.

Went to a friend’s home today to give him some help getting started turning. His tools were a mess. I took some of mine with me along with other items I use all the time. It’s the first time I’ve given anyone turning lessons, but I really enjoyed it. Showing him how and why to sharpen a tool a particular way and how to apply it. He’s a really nice guy I used to work with at Lowes. He’s given me a lot of turning material over time. He’s also a very accomplished furniture builder.

Turning is a departure from his woodworking. I’m pretty much responsible for getting him hooked by showing him stuff I’ve turned .

Anyway, it was a lot of fun passing on some of what I know to a new turner.

Rg

O

« Reply #788 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:27 PM »
I had asked a while ago about cleaning up a table saw that was exposed to water and turned quite rusty.  RG and some others gave me some tips on how to repair it in this thread.  I actually cleaned the top a while ago, and in the process decided to swap out the fence and side table.  I used the Penetrating Oil and I was not popular that week!  It stunk up the whole house and my wife was not happy!  My daughter and baby grandson were here that week too, so I could not let it soak as long as I wanted, only one overnight.  Even then, it was a chore to get the smell out of the house.   
Tonight I finished up putting the saw back together.  I had an older Delta contractor saw that I had used for several years and had added a Delta Unifence to it.  It had been sitting in the barn for the past 6 years and I am happy I can use it again.  It is a good solid fence.   After some retrofits and engineering I was able to install it on the Jet table saw.   Eventually, I will set up my router in the side table so I can use the saw fence for the router as well. 

This was before, obviously:

SEE MY NEXT POST, SORRY.

This is after:

Thanks to those that helped me with this.  It came out pretty good and I am sure with some use will shine up even more.

O

« Reply #789 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:41 PM »
This is before.....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #790 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Very nice job! You’ve got a great working table saw there. The Delta Uni-Fence is far and away the best saw fence ever made in my opinion. Had one on my Unisaw for many years in the cabinet shop. Can’t begin to tell you the miles of material that went through that saw.  It’s versatile, totally adjustable for accuracy and a joy to use. If I had room for a Unisaw ....I’d already have one.

Sorry about not thinking of the odors generated by penetrating oils. I always did my restorations in the garage.

Make your Bride a nice Christmas gift and she’ll most likely forgive you.

Rg

O

« Reply #791 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:11 AM »
RG _ I should have known, I’ve used penetrating oil lots of times, if even a small drop gets on my clothes the smell can permeate throughout the entire laundry load. 

Both my daughters want blanket racks and I have a nice piece of butternut that I have had in storage for almost 20 years.  Time to put it to use.

I would have loved to get a Unisaw.  My electrical panel is so full that a professional electrician told me getting 220v in my shop was not possible.  I’ve got a 220v air compressor sitting in the barn that I can’t hook up too.   I was looking at the 110v models and this saw sort of fell into my lap and it is plenty enough for what I do.  My brother insisted I get a SawStop, available in 110v.  Maybe someday when I know I will be in the shop more frequently. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #792 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:13 AM »
A friend at work gifted me with some apple wood from a tree she had to cut down. So...I turned her a “Frosty The Snowman” from a chunk as a thank you.

“Corn cob pipe, button nose and 2 eyes made out of coal”. Every time I get to turning snowmen, I sing that song in my head.
Apple wood is a pure joy to turn.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #793 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:28 AM »
It’s hard to justify spending thousands to upgrade an electrical service just to support a hobby

I have a Dewalt in the garage. It’s done everything I’ve needed it to. Ungodly noisy though. So, it stays in the garage. I must say that its a very accurate little table saw. It’s set up on a rolling stand with the router table as the outfeed. I also use the table saw fence for the router table on occasion.

I have friends with bigger saws, planing and jointing machinery. When I do need it, they’re more than happy to accommodate. Mostly, for the little stuff I make these days, the band saw is plenty. It took me 5 yers and 3 different band saws to find the 14” delta I have now. It’s tuned up and a pleasure to use.

Looking foreword to seeing your projects.

Rg

O

« Reply #794 on: Dec 04, 2020, 03:00 PM »
I have a small Mikita table saw and it the quietest saw I have ever used.  And the wood just flows through it like butter. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.