FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: big brook trout?  (Read 2608 times)

wannabe

big brook trout?
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Has anybody ever had any luck fishing Henry's or anywhere and catching some really cool-looking brookies? Like late in the fall, deep-bodied males with hump-backs and hooked jaws and red bellies? I would love to catch one, and I know there's got to be a few around, but they seem next to impossible to track down or even catch if you do figure out where they are. Anybody got any recon on them? THANKS for ANY replies!

Dave

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: big brook trout?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:58 PM »
a co-worker of mine told me that the irrigation ditches are loaded with brookies in certain parts of idaho.

HooknHunter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure your best bet would be to hit Henry's around spawning time.  I'd focus on the areas where the water comes in like Duck Creek.  A fat 22-24 incher would not be at all out of line.  My son caught a 22 incher through the ice there a couple days after Thanksgiving last fall, but it didn't have the hooked jaw and bright colors you are looking for.  There are not many lakes with the quality of Brookies that will exceed Henry's.  The size is good there and in recent years the quantity has been good as well.  The last 2 times I've ventured over there, I'd say that about 30-40% of the fish I caught were Brookies and the smallest I've picked up was around 14 inches or so.

Actually, re-thinking it, I'd try in the creeks themselves, if they are open.  That I'm not sure about.  Tributaries may be close.  It would be worth investigating.
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

wannabe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure your best bet would be to hit Henry's around spawning time.  I'd focus on the areas where the water comes in like Duck Creek.  A fat 22-24 incher would not be at all out of line.  My son caught a 22 incher through the ice there a couple days after Thanksgiving last fall, but it didn't have the hooked jaw and bright colors you are looking for.  There are not many lakes with the quality of Brookies that will exceed Henry's.  The size is good there and in recent years the quantity has been good as well.  The last 2 times I've ventured over there, I'd say that about 30-40% of the fish I caught were Brookies and the smallest I've picked up was around 14 inches or so.

Actually, re-thinking it, I'd try in the creeks themselves, if they are open.  That I'm not sure about.  Tributaries may be close.  It would be worth investigating.

Great inforamtion and very kind fo you. I think all the tributaries are closed, but maybe I could fish near the mouths for the ones that haven't gone up, yet? I know they're big in there, but have only found one or two pics of fish from Henry's that really had the colors and deep bodies etc, which concerns me a tiny little bit. Might have to just go try it! Thanks for the info- if anyone knows of anyone that has caught some really pretty ones in Henry's, I would love to know about it and please: anyone- please let me know what I can do in return.
Dave   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.