FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 516714 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3855 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Yea I’ve seen a few videos that described topping or not, along with pinching off blooms so the plant grows bigger before fruiting. That is all seems relative to the type of pepper and the length of your growing season. Some types, like serranos or bells take longer mature or ripen. Doing much pruning may set your harvest back too far into the season.  then again you may end up with a bigger harvest instead Either way.  That’s also assuming your not just picking them when they’re plump but still green. Yes you can pick a pepper at about any point. but since your growing them yourself, shouldn’t you let them mature and taste the fully ripe goodness vs the always immature store bought peppers.  Then again, if you prefer the green pepper taste, who am I to judge.
  I do have a long growing season. I planted these in late April. I didn't start picking jalapeños until about 2 weeks ago.
  Not sure what you meant by just picking when they are green and plump? If I let them go any longer they start to get a wood grain texture on the outside.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3856 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:49 AM »
  I do have a long growing season. I planted these in late April. I didn't start picking jalapeños until about 2 weeks ago.
  Not sure what you meant by just picking when they are green and plump? If I let them go any longer they start to get a wood grain texture on the outside.
From what I’ve learned, they turn red and become softer when ripe. They don’t loose any heat but develop more flavor. Plus if you want to save any seeds you have to let them ripen all the way. Though if you have multiple types, you’ll get some hybrids in your seeds.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3857 on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:51 AM »
22 jars of zucchini relish done..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

cnypanfisher

« Reply #3858 on: Aug 27, 2020, 05:40 AM »
We have most of our jams done for the year. Loads of blackberrys from couple new spots. My better half is doing peach preserves as well the last 2 days. I am going to do blackberry preserves next year if I encounter these berries again. Tomatoes are next.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3859 on: Aug 27, 2020, 05:53 AM »

Well done everybody

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3860 on: Aug 27, 2020, 05:54 AM »
Nice job cny.  My cucumber plants didn't do so well this year so no pickles. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

cnypanfisher

« Reply #3861 on: Aug 27, 2020, 06:01 AM »
Had to buy cucumbers from local farm stand, my Amish farmer guy said his cucumbers were not well this year. He usually has boxes of them, but not this year. His tomatoes are the best around, I need A box to supplement my lot here. If anyone needs tomatoes he is between Maple View and Pulaski, Jacob Hirschey, best tomatoes and next month good winter squash as well. My cucumbers got me 5 pints of sweet pickles, I ate the rest as we went along. Not bad for our first year, we need to get the back yard ready next year, found A local farmer who is going to till us up.

Expecting Deadeyes this morning to come look at our new place to side it, I think i'll try some jam on him to grease him A bit.

:)

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3862 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Wasn’t the year for pickles for me as well.

I found that canned goodies from the garden greases everyone one up CNY!

seamonkey84

« Reply #3863 on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:06 PM »
  If I let them go any longer they start to get a wood grain texture on the outside.

I just learned that is called corking, it’s a sign that it’s about to mature, the skin don’t growing as fast as the flesh on the inside as it swells.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3864 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:35 AM »
I had one pickle plant this year and it produced a ton. The one cucumber plant only yielded 3 cukes. But I had that one in a bag.

I still have a cupboard full of pickles from last year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3865 on: Aug 29, 2020, 05:25 AM »
Traded a jar of zucchini relish for a jar of hot pepper relish yesterday... ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3866 on: Aug 29, 2020, 05:26 AM »
And lots of walking sticks around this summer.   This one is all of 8" long..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3867 on: Aug 29, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Wow...that’s a big one.

Had a Polyphemus  Moth at our window a couple nights ago. Big moth!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3868 on: Aug 29, 2020, 07:17 AM »

Very cool haven’t seen 1 in years

Mac Attack

« Reply #3869 on: Sep 01, 2020, 07:35 PM »
The veggies came from a buddy’s garden.
Made a bunch of salsa tonight.
1/2 for him
1/2 for Donna

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum