FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The final countdown  (Read 3291 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
The final countdown
« on: Sep 28, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Anyone still fishing salmon or is everyone in the woods now? Gonna be a nice, cold weekend for us trolling types.

mowbizz

Re: The final countdown
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:19 AM »
Was going out this morning but the rains stopped us (open pontoon boat)
We’re giving it one last try tomorrow...we’ll be out before sunrise and hopefully, have a limit by 8am!

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I have been on Winni since last Saturday. We are leaving tomorrow. Fished “new to me” areas and had a great time.

Fish were scattered before this cold front set in, and we didn’t have much luck today. Riggers at 35’ were hot throughout, but the key seemed to be getting out early, or being out right at sunset. Metal was the best producer at speeds around 2.2. Lead core didn’t do diddly for us with flies or metal, but the only hits we had were on single flies for lead.

Hope you guys finish out strong. Here’s two nice salmon we got.

mowbizz

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I have been on Winni since last Saturday. We are leaving tomorrow. Fished “new to me” areas and had a great time.

Fish were scattered before this cold front set in, and we didn’t have much luck today. Riggers at 35’ were hot throughout, but the key seemed to be getting out early, or being out right at sunset. Metal was the best producer at speeds around 2.2. Lead core didn’t do diddly for us with flies or metal, but the only hits we had were on single flies for lead.

Hope you guys finish out strong. Here’s two nice salmon we got.

Very nice fish! We’ll be giving it one more shot in the morning...all we have is lead core so single fly it will be! That’s what has worked for us all summer. Thanks for the report!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Great work Z
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Thanks, here’s a nice rainbow we got as well:

Art 53

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2018, 06:37 PM »
I'd watch my fish around that dog by looks of his tongue

mowbizz

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Finished our season today with a third skunk in a row. Have no clue why but that’s fishing. At last (rough) count we landed between 25 and 30 salmon, bows and a few lakers according to the picture album on my phone. I’m calling it a spectacular season by my standards!
Love to get a dedicated fishing boat with riggers, etc. but we did okay from the tritoon boat with lead core!

jibbs

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Nice meeting you yesterday..we did alright ..one school weighed two five lb smallies..one went 5.33
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Jethro

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Nice meeting you yesterday..we did alright ..one school weighed two five lb smallies..one went 5.33

Nice meeting you as well! Glad to hear the tourney went well, looked like a decent turnout. We landed two lakers and two salmon, all but one of the lakers were legal length but all are still swimming. Here is the 18", skinny laker:

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Nice job Jethro! How do you like the new boat set up after using it for a season?

Jethro

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Nice job Jethro! How do you like the new boat set up after using it for a season?

Thanks! I love the boat. It's big for sure, and I wouldn't have bought that big but I am really happy with it ultimately. The rigger locations worked well for me, but I am definitely moving to electric riggers next year. I'll have my two Penns for sale soon. Everything I was told about my 6 horse 4 stroke kicker was right... A single cyl kicker is a mistake. Runs perfect, just chunky. I may try to sell it and move into a twin but maybe not, it's minor on the list of upgrades. I tried all season to fall in love with the Lowrance but it's official- I do not like that Lowrance Elite 5, so that will go before next season as well. Overall it fishes awesome! Really glad it worked out the way it did.

zwiggles

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Nice, happy to hear it worked out. Best thing about owning your own boat is if you don’t like it, you can change it!

mowbizz

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Thanks! I love the boat. It's big for sure, and I wouldn't have bought that big but I am really happy with it ultimately. The rigger locations worked well for me, but I am definitely moving to electric riggers next year. I'll have my two Penns for sale soon. Everything I was told about my 6 horse 4 stroke kicker was right... A single cyl kicker is a mistake. Runs perfect, just chunky. I may try to sell it and move into a twin but maybe not, it's minor on the list of upgrades. I tried all season to fall in love with the Lowrance but it's official- I do not like that Lowrance Elite 5, so that will go before next season as well. Overall it fishes awesome! Really glad it worked out the way it did.

What kind of boat do you have? I’ve been looking at the WA boats like a lot of the charters use...need some weather protection.

Jethro

« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2018, 06:52 AM »
What kind of boat do you have? I’ve been looking at the WA boats like a lot of the charters use...need some weather protection.

It's a 2003 Sylvan 2100 ProFish. The guy that owned it prior flyfished for striper, so he basically never used the top and it sat in his garage. I was going to have some side curtains made but have been thrown by the costs. Although coming from my open 14' Starcraft, this full wraparound windshield, deep gunwales and the fishermans top is unreal for weather protection.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.