FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake michigan  (Read 32615 times)

taxid

Re: Lake michigan
« Reply #45 on: Jul 09, 2019, 06:12 AM »
Went out on Erie once on Charter Boat. Thick fog. Just missed a guy in a rowboat out at least a mile and we were going slow due to the poor visibility.

What an idiot!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #46 on: Jul 09, 2019, 11:41 AM »
SO, PLEASE TELL. HOW WERE PEOPLE BEING STUPID WITH THE FOG THAT ROLLED IN. WHAT TIME WAS THIS? ALWAYS LOOKING TO HEAR A GOOD STORY.

If you dont have a radar. No need to be up on plane when in thick fog. I will just leave it at that.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #47 on: Jul 09, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Just wondering if anyone was out today and if it’s worth my two hour drive .The limit isn’t the problem I just don’t want the skunk.

wallin

« Reply #48 on: Jul 09, 2019, 09:18 PM »
From what I hear its picked up a little.
Going to try it myself tomorrow
Wallin

LundProv

« Reply #49 on: Jul 09, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Went out today and was not in a rush.  Had several little things to tie up here at home.  Got on the water about 10:30 out of Portage and headed east to the area in front of the Indiana Dunes State Park pavilion.  Fished as shallow as 8' and with the Ipilot down, worked my way out to 50' with nothing.  Mosied back to the doughnut area and repeated the pattern with the same results-- nothing.  Fished some old memories on top of the reef and the trough at the reef with nothing and ended up back at the moutn of the ditch.  Called my son and he told me the other day, he did well in 14' of water in front of Ogden Dunes.  I tried it and skunked again and then realized an old man like me had been sitting out a ways the entire day.  So, I went the same distance out and about 1000 yards west of him and it was 51' of water.  I fished it for about 90 minutes and ended up with 9.  Two were true keepers at 10" and the rest needed to be stretched.  Again, when you are pulling fish from 50' of water, you're keeping what you catch as they come up with their bladders/bellies in their mouths.  So, I was grateful for 9 and needed to be home about 5.  Overall, a great day to be on the water.  Really appreciate the bimini top on my boat as the older I get, the less I like to fry in the sun.  There was also a healthy crop of pesky flies buzzing around.  I need to put a fly swatter on the boat.  The fishing should improve tomorrow with the weather being a bit more stable for a longer period of time...

wallin

« Reply #50 on: Jul 09, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Nice report, and the search goes on.  ;)
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #51 on: Jul 09, 2019, 11:10 PM »
Went out today and was not in a rush.  Had several little things to tie up here at home.  Got on the water about 10:30 out of Portage and headed east to the area in front of the Indiana Dunes State Park pavilion.  Fished as shallow as 8' and with the Ipilot down, worked my way out to 50' with nothing.  Mosied back to the doughnut area and repeated the pattern with the same results-- nothing.  Fished some old memories on top of the reef and the trough at the reef with nothing and ended up back at the moutn of the ditch.  Called my son and he told me the other day, he did well in 14' of water in front of Ogden Dunes.  I tried it and skunked again and then realized an old man like me had been sitting out a ways the entire day.  So, I went the same distance out and about 1000 yards west of him and it was 51' of water.  I fished it for about 90 minutes and ended up with 9.  Two were true keepers at 10" and the rest needed to be stretched.  Again, when you are pulling fish from 50' of water, you're keeping what you catch as they come up with their bladders/bellies in their mouths.  So, I was grateful for 9 and needed to be home about 5.  Overall, a great day to be on the water.  Really appreciate the bimini top on my boat as the older I get, the less I like to fry in the sun.  There was also a healthy crop of pesky flies buzzing around.  I need to put a fly swatter on the boat.  The fishing should improve tomorrow with the weather being a bit more stable for a longer period of time...
I hear you on those flies with the white spot on their backs. I call them nuclear flies. They bite worse than a horse fly, going thru blue jeans and socks like you had nothing on at all. I tried the different types of misquito sprays and found out the only one that WORKS, is the 100 percent deet. I know a lot of people dont like to use it, but, it works trust me. I dont leave home without it. Last Saturday we were lucky no flies. I think they come out in the later hours. We had left by 8;30 am.

Spooled85

« Reply #52 on: Jul 10, 2019, 11:25 AM »
On the charter boats we take a rag and spray it with fly spray you would use on a horse and it works pretty good. Or if you have on board water Dawn dish soap helps. We wash the back deck down with dawn very once and awhile and they stay away

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #53 on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Slez has a sun block lotion. Also has a bug repellent in it. Works wonders! Like $9 a tube. Cant remember the name of it, but it was in a white tube with peach/pink labeling on it.

Stuff seriously worked wonders, been on many trips guys getting tore up and i didnt have a bug on me, everyone asked to borrow some once we realized what was going on.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

wallin

« Reply #54 on: Jul 10, 2019, 09:19 PM »
17 today out of M.C., hot and nasty.
Nothing big
Wallin

LundProv

« Reply #55 on: Jul 10, 2019, 09:38 PM »
16 or 17 out of Portage today in 50' of water... A few nice 10" but most were 8-9 inchers -- indeed, very warm and fished with a 91 year old friend that loves to perch fish.  Today was a good day to have a bimini top...

abishop

« Reply #56 on: Jul 11, 2019, 02:32 AM »
With the winds coming from the north the next couple of days I am hoping that come Saturday the lake is back the way it was a week ago, with perch scattered everywhere close to shore.  It is the only day I could get on this week, hope it is productive. I am guessing the Armada will be out. LOL.....

abishop

« Reply #57 on: Jul 11, 2019, 06:21 PM »
So what does the census report. Do you think that with the winds from the north would move the perch into deeper waters. Or, would you think that by Saturday they will be shallow again. I am inclined to believe that we need 3 or 4 good days with a south wind to get them settled down. Do you think maybe try fishing elsewhere for something different or just wait till next weekend to hope for another good perch outing. Just wondering that others are thinking?????

Spooled85

« Reply #58 on: Jul 11, 2019, 07:47 PM »
The north winds bring cold water and waves . And when the water temp goes from 74 to 66 they disappear. And they do t like to get beat up in the shalllow water by the waves we have Ben getting. They had small craft advisory today and rip current warnings. I have full intentions in being out Saturday but not now. I think it will be a waist. And I'm not one that likes to clean 7 to 10 in perch . Because at the depth of 50 ' where they are now makes their air bladders come out there mouths and there for you have to keep everything you catch . Jsut my 2 cents

LundProv

« Reply #59 on: Jul 11, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Would encourage you to enjoy another lake this Saturday.  I fished two days this week after last weekend north spell and caught fish but as the previous post states, they were in 50' of water and not real active.  There are plenty of options to go elsewhere and maybe mix it up a bit and try a body of water you have been thinking about but just have not taken the time to explore.  You know you are gonna have fun where ever you go...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.