FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thoughts about an old outboard for sale - 1986 Mercury 9.9 "needs some work"  (Read 1317 times)

ship of fools

I'm hoping to get a little input here. I have a friend selling an old outobard. He described it as "it runs great wide open but starts and runs only with choke on. Stalls when letting off throttle fast. You also need to pump the fuel bulb once in a while". He said the compression is 100 and he just bought a new 4 stroke instead of messing with this.

My old Force 9.9 died a year ago and I need to replace it by next Spring. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be and what type of $ I might need to put into it. I've been looking for a replacement boat and motor but just haven't had much luck.

iceman260

Sounds like carb problem but also a little low on compression I believe compression should be around 130.

Mac Attack

Carb, fuel filter, and all fuel lines.
Maybe even the tank.
Ethanol takes a toll on motors.
The motor is almost 35 yrs old.

Go ask a reputable marine mechanic, but unless you do the work yourself I would think you will be looking at $200-300.
And if you do the repair, don't forget to "boil" the carb.
Or buy a new or rebuilt one.
So, are you getting this motor for free?

Good luck.

ship of fools

So, are you getting this motor for free?

Good luck.

No - he is asking $300. I'm think I'm going to pass on it and keep looking for what i really want.

Thanks to both of you for the intel.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
since you asked. lol  if your buying old motors, stay away from mercs.  OMC(Evinrude Johnson.....)  are easier to work on and parts are everywhere.  a lot of them interchange for many years too.  but you probably wont have to do anything but normal maintanence to them if taken care of.   the guy that ran that company all those years back in the day had their head on strait. imo
AMEN!
A good friend of mine had a couple of Merck’s from the 80’s. PITA to find parts . Seems they were the Sears Roebuck of outboards. Changed models 4 times a year. I have an ‘86 Johnson 30 hp that I’ve pretty much rebuilt top to bottom over the 25 years I’ve owned it. I have never come up short on a part.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ship of fools

Thanks again for all the input. I'm not going to touch it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.