FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall trolling  (Read 4435 times)

bikrsrule

Fall trolling
« on: Sep 21, 2019, 05:52 AM »
I know what has been working for me trolling deep for rainbows, just wondering what everyone else uses? Spinners, lone flies, spoons?.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Fall trolling
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:23 AM »
I know what has been working for me trolling deep for rainbows, just wondering what everyone else uses? Spinners, lone flies, spoons?.

Was on Moosehead this past weekend, landed a number of salmon and togue trolling spoons of all sorts. Didn't have any luck with flies.

skinnywater

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Did you get any of those giant brookies?
greenshack on shanty

Jethro

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Did you get any of those giant brookies?

We landed a number of fish, did quite well despite the bluebird conditions but not one brook trout the entire weekend!

bikrsrule

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Were you trolling deep? Downriggers or leadline? I noticed that at Highland lake the rainbows are starting to come up some. I think I am going to hit Newfound 1 last time before it closes..

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Were you trolling deep? Downriggers or leadline? I noticed that at Highland lake the rainbows are starting to come up some. I think I am going to hit Newfound 1 last time before it closes..

We were trolling mostly between 20 and 50 feet. Most hits came off the riggers which we were stacking two lines on each because we wanted to be able to turn on a dime. Moosehead has some very steep drops that we were targeting in hopes the fish were starting to stack up and look for shallower areas.

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2019, 09:14 AM »
We fished this past weekend not far from New Hampshire.  Had big brookies mixed in with togue in 25-40 feet of water.

# SAND

bikrsrule

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will be using a downrigger and some leadline. Report to follow!!!

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I have not been out much at all, but in past falls small young of the year (yoy) imitations worked really well for us. Guide specials, mini mooselooks, midget anything really. Same goes for flies I’ve always had good luck in fall with singles vs tandem streamers.

They also always seemed to be deep on the big lake into late fall, but at sunrise/sunset they seemed to come up into that 15-25 range and closer to shore/structure vs during a sunny day we would still be targeting 35-65 for them around reaper structure whenever possible. The bigger lakes tend to cool down slower than the smaller bodies of water in general.

bikrsrule

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Hit Newfound early this morning and did well with the lakers till about 10 or so when they pretty much shut right off, another boat was trolling flat line and seemed to be doing pretty well, probably on Salmon, I did put out a flat line with several different offerings and didnt get a hit, we could see fish rising but no luck.. all in all a very good day, we boated 8 lakers, not large but still a good day..Probably going to give Echo in Franconia a hit next weekend to end the season for me and get ready for muzzleloader season..See you @ the Ice shanty..

bassin212

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Hit Newfound early this morning and did well with the lakers till about 10 or so when they pretty much shut right off, another boat was trolling flat line and seemed to be doing pretty well, probably on Salmon, I did put out a flat line with several different offerings and didnt get a hit, we could see fish rising but no luck.. all in all a very good day, we boated 8 lakers, not large but still a good day..Probably going to give Echo in Franconia a hit next weekend to end the season for me and get ready for muzzleloader season..See you @ the Ice shanty..

Nice work! thanks for the report. I was going to head out on Sunapee on Sunday, but 1. my winch broke so I had to replace that and then it looked windy as hell so I went bass fishing instead. Did well though!

bikrsrule

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2019, 03:53 AM »
I was glad I picked saturday to fish due to the wind on sunday, heading to echo lake in franconia on saturday. report to follow

bikrsrule

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:09 AM »
Went to Echo lake a week ago Saturday with a little luck, caught a few small brookies on the surface and 1, 1.5 lb about 8 feet down..Last Saturday went over to Highland in Andover with some luck, caught a couple down deep on a mooselook then seeing small schools of baitfish I tried a smelt imitation fly and did very well with 1 rainbow 15" long. some on top and some down 16' or so on the downrigger. Fishing is now done for me for this season, on to the deer woods in a couple week for youth weekend then smokepole season..See you all on the ice!!!

bassin212

« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:17 AM »
nice report! I may squeeze out one bass trip just because and then it's time to put the boat away and start organizing the ice gear

Steve H.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Went to Echo lake a week ago Saturday with a little luck, caught a few small brookies on the surface and 1, 1.5 lb about 8 feet down..Last Saturday went over to Highland in Andover with some luck, caught a couple down deep on a mooselook then seeing small schools of baitfish I tried a smelt imitation fly and did very well with 1 rainbow 15" long. some on top and some down 16' or so on the downrigger. Fishing is now done for me for this season, on to the deer woods in a couple week for youth weekend then smokepole season..See you all on the ice!!!

Nice report, thanks.  Too bad to hear you weren't able to troll up a holdover trout from Echo but nice that you got a good rainbow from Highland.  I knew Highland holds over fish (good smelt population) but was hoping Echo does too.  Don't know about that, as it's only brookies in there I think.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.