FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: rod tip repair  (Read 1275 times)

mudchuck

rod tip repair
« on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:48 AM »
I've done guide replacement on a few trolling rods in the past, the usual, remove the old stuff, install new guide with thread & 2-apart epoxy, but never a rod tip, which appears to be very different that the other guides.
Anyone have suggestions on how to tackle this?
I've got a nice trolling rod I like to use for lead core that has lost the inner ring on the rod tip so I need to replace this before next season rolls around.

Thoughts, suggestions???

Mac Attack

Re: rod tip repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:06 AM »

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:06 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2020, 04:10 AM »
Just heat the old tip a bit with a lighter ( I use an alcohol lamp....no soot). The tip will slide right off. Any hot melt glue stick will work just fine to set the new tip. Heat the glue stick and dip the end of the new guide in the melted glue. Slide it on and you’re done.

I don’t apply the glue to the rod. If I need to heat it again to adjust it I’d rather heat the tip than the rod.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:19 AM »
 X2 quick and easy repair

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Just heat the old tip a bit with a lighter ( I use an alcohol lamp....no soot). The tip will slide right off. Any hot melt glue stick will work just fine to set the new tip. Heat the glue stick and dip the end of the new guide in the melted glue. Slide it on and you’re done.

I don’t apply the glue to the rod. If I need to heat it again to adjust it I’d rather heat the tip than the rod.

Rg

Bob’s way works as long as the tip still fits.
But you can always use fine sandpaper to reduce the diameter a little to make it fit.
Also, I broke one once right at the tip.  This didn’t allow me to pull on anything to get the broken rod out of the tip.  So luckily I have tiny drill bits that I used to ream out the tip.  And then used a glue stick like they show in the video.
And Bob is right.  No need to coat the rod with glue.  I never do that even when building a rod.  I shave some slivers of glue stick off and stuff a couple down into the rod tip.  Heat it to melt it and stick the tip onto the rod then like Bob said.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2020, 08:56 AM »
 I broke 1 at the tip this fall on my omen green , many times if you heat the guide the piece will pop up 😉

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Yup. Just heat the guide with the broken piece in it and it will work it’s way out as the glue expands with the heat. I’ve also used a pin vise with a drill bit the appropriate size as an extractor.

There’s always a way!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.