FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ocean Isle Peir Fishing help for a Yankee  (Read 94511 times)

TheSystem

• fish free or die
Ocean Isle Peir Fishing help for a Yankee
« on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Hey NC guys, I'm looking for some how-to tips on pier fishing.  My wife's family rented a place on the beach in Ocean Isle in mid april, and I plan to spend every minute of it fishing.  The cottage is right on the water, and I am told that there is a fishing pier 1/2 mile away.  I've read about every internet explanation on pier fishing I can find, and am confused by the varying advice on floats, bottom rigs, heck, even species of fish involved.  I'd sure appreciate any words of wisdom you guys could throw at me.  What is a good beginner's setup or a first time simple plan to catch my first saltwater fish?  Thanks a bunch guys.
Canadarago Lake Improvement Association President

TheSystem

• fish free or die
Re: Ocean Isle Peir Fishing help for a Yankee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Can anyone throw me a bone here, I'm beggin ya!  I have two 7' surf rods with heavy spinning reels, 15lb mono on them.  Am familiar with the use of weights and floats, and have read up on speckled trout, mackerel, cobia, and jacks.  Am a little confused on all the bait offerings - shrimp, chicken necks, squid, bloodworms....any suggestions on what bait's in season for mid april?  Does the bait usually rest near the bottom or higher in the water under a float?  Again, appreciate any advice for a serious angler looking to try a new side of the sport.

TheSystem

• fish free or die
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:10 PM »
OK - maybe a more specific question:  How the heck do you guys get the fish from the water all the way up to the top of the pier?  I've seen pier gaffs -weighted hooks on ropes, are those used often?  I can understand reeling a smaller fish right on up, but what if you get a bigger one?

NateFishNY

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2012, 04:43 PM »
i dont know if there are any members in NC... never see anyone respond on the NC board except out of staters. I have family in NC and have tried to get info on lake wheeler... never a response... i think this website is mainly made up of northern boys, probably because most of our members come from iceshanty.com

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2012, 04:54 PM »
i fished off pier at west palm beach florida and watch guys catchin sharks ,, they had a square folding net that they lowered on a rope they lowered it open like a flat square hooked on 4 corners when he  directed the shark onto the net it closed up and 2, 3 guys would hoist it up.. they had sharks around 5 ft and had a heck of a pull but they did it.  and they kept them... lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.