MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

Jigging for Lake Trout...

(1/5) > >>

Frank-Ma:
I was wondering if anyone out there has jig for lake trout?, I troll for them all the time, but never seen anyone drifting and jigging for them..

Flash_King:
Used to do it all the time in Northern Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine

Sutton Spoon,8-16in of 20-25lb leader,25lb leadcore - just drift along deep drop offs next to shoal areas bouncing the spoon off the bottom

tried this at Quabbin a couple of times and got hung up,yet had one terrific day at gate 8 as long as I kept to the old river channel east of the Island  12 lakers the largest 9lbs

Neptune:
I jig for Mackinaw.  I also troll.  I primarily fish Flathead lake in western Montana.  It is the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. and it is almost 400 feet deep at its deepest point.  My point is that I fish for Mack's depending on how I see them show up on the Fish Finder.  If they are schooled up on the bottom then the anchor goes over (sometimes this is in 200 feet of water, if you want to know an anchor trick or two at this depth let me know) and the jigging begins.  If the fish are spread all over the water column then I will troll and target certain depths.

When jigging I primarily use two jigs in varying sizes from a local company.  They are called Leadagators and Trilobites by a company called Zimmer Tackle in Pablo, MT.  They also make larger lead bodied bucktails(I have a couple but have never caught a fish on one).  These same jigs will catch Whiteys at the same time, so its fun either way!  Many people tip their jigs with some sort of meat(usually perch, smelt, pike minnow, and even link sausage!).  I personally haven't caught one using meat on the jig, but I'm still learning the art.

Good Fishing!

rrfish:
Neptune, I have a friend in Kalispell who's family has a place in Lakeside and he said he caught a laker on a jig tipped with a hot dog...not sure whether to believe him or not.

Neptune:

--- Quote from: rrfish on Mar 23, 2007, 11:33 AM ---Neptune, I have a friend in Kalispell who's family has a place in Lakeside and he said he caught a laker on a jig tipped with a hot dog...not sure whether to believe him or not.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't suprise me man.  Lots of people have been using the hotdog/sausage thing.  I actually wonder if it attracts them or is just a coincidance....  Trying to figure that out...

Good Fishing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version