FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kentucky lake  (Read 2266 times)

Spooled85

Kentucky lake
« on: Jul 25, 2020, 09:05 PM »
Well I leave for a 5 days trip to Stewart Tennessee on Kentucky lake for a fishing trip. Never been before taking the family and a good friends family is coming. Taking the boats plan on fishing our butts off !!! Any of you ever fish this area ? Any pointers ? We plant to Target anything that bites and do alot of cat fishing

abishop

Re: Kentucky lake
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2020, 09:39 PM »
I remember the only time I was there around 25 yrs ago I seen a commercial fisherman fishing in the swift water coming right off the Barkley dam. Couldn't of been but a 10 yards throttling forward into the swells off the dam fishing the bottom tight line. Had a flat bottom boat with probably 3 tp 5 hundred pounds of cats on the bottom of boat. don't think any were less than 20 pounds. Couldn't believe it. They have some  huge flat heads in there. GOOD LUCK

Spooled85

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2020, 09:55 PM »
Wow ! I would like to find a dam to fish close by . I know I've seen alot of videos of guys fishing below the dams and what they can produce . Thanks bishop

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2020, 10:04 AM »
We've fished down there for over 40 years. Seen a lot of changes in the fishery.  This time of year, I'd look for the "Jumps".  Silver/white bass,
locally called "Stripes" pin young shad against the surface and have at it.  Look for pinwheeling gulls and boil like disturbances. Cats are always
a possibility as are drum. Don't overlook bluegills either.   Invasive carp have drastically altered the tailrace fishery. PM if you wish for more.

fish on,

riveereddy

Piggyn

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2020, 04:14 PM »
I used to have a great uncle that lived by Buchanan Resort on Kentucky Lake, and we'd go down to fish bluegills in the summer.  Then we'd come back to Indiana, and nothing seemed like a keeper after catching those pig gills!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Spooled85

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Thanks alot guys !! Definitely some good pointers ! I will take alot of pictures and hopefully alot of fish pics . The wife decided to leave tonight at 9 instead of In the morning so I guess no sleep for me till Tennessee  :o

InSeineNet

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2020, 05:59 PM »
We target Gills and cats when we go in mid to late May. We have decent luck on the cats when fishing along the 79 bridge deck running into the lake from the east side (across the main channel from Paris Landing SP). That’s normally spawn time but I’d bet they hang in there a lot of the year. Fortunately but unfortunately the local fisherman leave tons of trash along the shore you can get a pretty good idea where the better spots are by the abundance of bait containers. I’ve also heard of it being good and have seen guys fish by the bridge piers in 25-30 fow. It’s probably a 10 mile or so run from Danville Ferry area... you could probably target that main channel road decking right there as well.

Also note for licensing, if you want to fish the bottom side of the damns either Kentucky lake or Barkley you will need a KY license. If you get a TN license you are good to fish anywhere up river of the hwy 68 bridge excluding the Blood River embayment.

Spooled85

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Well made it back to Indiana Thursday night. Cut our trip a day short due to weather . I will say I will never attempt to fish that area this time of year again. It was miserable ! I sweat standing still in Indiana and omg was the humidity unreal in Tennessee !!! Water temp was 93 degrees and the only fish we caught was one buffalo Carp and a couple small striper . We didn't really see anyone fishing anywhere . Beautiful country but I think next time it will be spring our fall for this guy ! Thanks for everyone's suggestions and information

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Real sorry to hear that Spooled85. That sucks!  All that anticipation and then disappointment. Been there done that though.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Thanks taxid , ya I need to start planning my vacation during the spring and fall. And next one will be to the north

RoeBoat

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Sorry the fishing wasn't better.  Good time to go to Canada,  when you can get across the border!

Spooled85

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Canada sounds good ! And on top of it the whole family is sick with fevers ! And covid symptoms . Symptoms are mild with a fever of 100.5 . Now have to quarantine and get tested !! When it rains it pours I guess

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:50 PM »
Canada sounds good ! And on top of it the whole family is sick with fevers ! And covid symptoms . Symptoms are mild with a fever of 100.5 . Now have to quarantine and get tested !! When it rains it pours I guess

Oh wow I hope you all O.K. Nothing to mess with. Do you think you picked it up on vacation?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2020, 09:19 PM »
Thank you , ya I'm guess from the house we stayed in. Now the other family we went with are also running fevers and showing signs. My wife and I started with a head ache and very tired Tuesday evening. And that was it for symptoms untill yesterday. Now we are all showing the same symptoms and all have fevers. Very mild nothing I wouldn't go to work with if it wasn't for covid. But everything you do jsut physically drains you !

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2020, 05:22 PM »
You guys didn't somehow ingest any of the water down there by swimming did you? There are some blue green algae that can cause issues especially in tepid water.

Seems to be more of a problem in the southern latitudes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.