FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512798 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1230 on: May 04, 2017, 02:49 AM »
Anyone have any idea what these flowers are?

I planted them a few years back and don't remember.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1231 on: May 04, 2017, 05:27 AM »
Some fancy brand tulip....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1232 on: May 04, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Thanks Dom,

So, I searched "fancy tulip" and it appears to be a double French Tulip variety. It kind of looks like "Audrey II" from Little Shop Of Horrors before it opens up.

I can almost hear them saying, "feed me Seymore!"

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1233 on: May 06, 2017, 05:11 AM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1234 on: May 06, 2017, 05:11 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1235 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Hey...I'm looking to build a cold frame. I want to use it to get my seedlings hardened off and to extend my options for really late season greens.

Any advice from my gardening friends?

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1236 on: May 08, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Hey...I'm looking to build a cold frame. I want to use it to get my seedlings hardened off and to extend my options for really late season greens.

Rg
I'm thinking maybe moving south might be a solid option. This weather sucks.

boondox

« Reply #1237 on: May 08, 2017, 05:57 PM »

Rg

What about some heavy mil clear plastic drop cloth and some thing like a firing strip wood frame ? Depending on size of course.. if looking for a more solid option polycarbonate and a wood frame of like pine 2x4's  all depends on how big you want to go..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2017, 04:02 AM »
Looks like the weather is gonna straighten out slowly over the next couple weeks DD. Don't bail just yet  ;D

As always with a new project idea, I've been mulling this over non stop.

I have an eight foot long space facing due South that's crying out for an in ground cold frame. It may end up being 6' long though. I found some great looking corrugated polycarbonate panels at Lowes for $20 each. UV resistance and 93% light transmission. Easy to deal with!

My thought is to dig down about 8", maybe more..... and start below grade for some additional insulation. If I buy just one panel, the unit would end up 32x72". If I buy 2 panels, I could make it the full 32x96" and add light panels at the sides and front above ground. I'd have to do some fancy framing above ground.....not that it's a problem, but I'm not convinced it's worth all the extra work.

So.......it's going to be a 32"x72"x 20" (or so) deep cold frame. I'll use PT 1x for the frame as I have no intention of planting in the soil inside the frame. Anything I grow will be in containers.

For my seedlings,  It'll hold 6 of the 48 pod starters I use with plenty of room left over for a couple dozen 4" peat pots. I'll have to devise a tray system that can be removed for later planting. I'll probably put landscape fabric and mulch in the bottom to keep things above any water that might infiltrate during wet times like these. Although, the spot is normally dry. I may add some foam insulation for a fall/winter planting.

Ventilation seems to be the one issue everyone points to as the biggest problem. So, I'm going to install 2 auto vent units to raise and lower the lid during the day. They average about $25 and get great reviews.

I think I can get this done for right around $100.

The  next thing I need to do is get out the shovel :clapping:

Love playing in the dirt!

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45 AM »
A man with a plan!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1240 on: May 11, 2017, 06:27 PM »
I haven't updated on the Aero-garden lately.

Isn't it pretty!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #1241 on: May 11, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Those. tomatoes. are. incredible!

So fishinmachine, where's the "cash crop"?  :P

I've got around 80 "boutique" hot pepper plants started. They're takin' in real sunshine right now but our last frost date is about May 20 and I'm not takin' any chances. Chocolate Carolina Reaper, Bubble Gum 7-Pot, Devils Tongue, Datil, Fatali, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Naga Viper, Trinidad Scorpion (Red), good old standby orange Habaneros and some "mystery" peppers from seeds from some plants I bought last year. I ordered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (Chocolate) but got 2 of one kind and one of another none of which were what I ordered. They were still smokin' hot so I saved seeds. Those and a few Opalka tomatoes and some San Marzanos....

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1242 on: May 11, 2017, 07:07 PM »
Looks great Bill...   I'm not far behind ya... ;)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #1243 on: May 12, 2017, 02:52 AM »
I haven't updated on the Aero-garden lately.

Isn't it pretty!   ;D

That's gotta be cheating!  ;D       

What variety of tomato?
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1244 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45 AM »
Bill's playing fair....Dom's the cheater with all those greenhouses at hand ;D

Jealousy rears it's ugly head :-\

4 hours at Lowes today and I'm taking a week off. Fish, dig, plant, eat, sleep......etc :clapping: Might even squeeze in a couple campfires with appropriate adult beverages. Oh yeah, and a Red Wings ball game with my son Wednesday evening. Baseball, Highland Lager, Zwiegles and peanuts.......you betcha!

My seedlings have been getting used to the great outdoors the past few days. Yesterday they were out most of the day. Everybody is green and happy. Sent a soil sample off to be analyzed at Dairy One in Ithaca Ny. I looked into the DIY kits and even the expensive ones got terrible reviews as to their accuracy. So I figured for $12 and a little postage, I'd get a real look at my soil.

I'll be mixing up some container soil this weekend and getting my flower boxes, towers and assorted pots filled. Gotta get My Brides flower gardens going. The veggie garden is waiting till the end of the week. I've started several varieties of peppers, cukes, pickles and eating tomatoes. We decided to buy our canning tomatoes this year. With my limited space and as cheap an a bushel of Romas are, I'd rather spend my efforts on something else.

I'm putting in a really big Moon Flower trellis. 4'x 8' at least.  I hope to have a dazzling display on the West side of my house. Should be fun anyway. These plants have really caught my interest.

Spring is definitely here :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.