FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 514527 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1245 on: May 12, 2017, 05:27 AM »
Bill's playing fair....Dom's the cheater with all those greenhouses at hand ;D

Jealousy rears it's ugly head :-\

4 hours at Lowes today and I'm taking a week off. Fish, dig, plant, eat, sleep......etc :clapping: Might even squeeze in a couple campfires with appropriate adult beverages. Oh yeah, and a Red Wings ball game with my son Wednesday evening. Baseball, Highland Lager, Zwiegles and peanuts.......you betcha!

My seedlings have been getting used to the great outdoors the past few days. Yesterday they were out most of the day. Everybody is green and happy. Sent a soil sample off to be analyzed at Dairy One in Ithaca Ny. I looked into the DIY kits and even the expensive ones got terrible reviews as to their accuracy. So I figured for $12 and a little postage, I'd get a real look at my soil.

I'll be mixing up some container soil this weekend and getting my flower boxes, towers and assorted pots filled. Gotta get My Brides flower gardens going. The veggie garden is waiting till the end of the week. I've started several varieties of peppers, cukes, pickles and eating tomatoes. We decided to buy our canning tomatoes this year. With my limited space and as cheap an a bushel of Romas are, I'd rather spend my efforts on something else.

I'm putting in a really big Moon Flower trellis. 4'x 8' at least.  I hope to have a dazzling display on the West side of my house. Should be fun anyway. These plants have really caught my interest.

Spring is definitely here :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Rg
Sounds like a perfect week in my book! Yup the weather is turning finally!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1246 on: May 12, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Lol. I don't know if anyone's cheating.

Bart, they're an heirloom cherry.

We picked 10 for a salad with dinner last night, and they're sweet and juicy! There's still plenty left to pick. It's been a fun (and rewarding) experiment!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1247 on: May 12, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Sounds like a good week ahead, RG. Nothing like a little baseball, fishing, beer, and dirt under your finger nails!  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1248 on: May 12, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Well the boat is all spring fishing ready and firmly attached to the little red truck. Weather may be sketchy for the morning, but I'll know better when I look out the window. The rest of the week looks to be near perfect. Supposed to hit the 80's by Wednesday. Talk about baseball weather......

Best of all, the creeks are dropping nicely and should be in prime condition by mid week. Can't wait to get some flies stuck in the trees   ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #1249 on: May 12, 2017, 08:22 PM »

We picked 10 for a salad with dinner last night, and they're sweet and juicy! There's still plenty left to pick. It's been a fun (and rewarding) experiment!  ;D

Now I'm jealous!  ;D
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1250 on: May 14, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I'm a little late getting my peas in, but that's okay. I got ready to plant them yesterday. When I went to get the 3 lb. bag of seed I know I have, it wasn't there! I couldn't find it anywhere! So we went to buy more. Of course the garden store wasn't open so we were left with big box stores.

We stopped at Tractor Supply first and because our primary mission was pea seed we bought the package at $6.59. Later, we stopped at Wal-Mart and behold; identical for almost half the marked price. Worst part is, I know I'll come across the 3 lb. bag within a month!  ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1251 on: May 14, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I did get in seven rows of corn before the rain; two rows of bi-color (72 day) and five rows of Silver Queen (92 day).  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1252 on: May 14, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Bill I also got the $6.59 packs from tractor supply...
I just got home from work and planed on planting peas,spinish,beets,and lettuce..  As soon as I pulled in the driveway the skies opened up.... :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1253 on: May 15, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Well, before I managed to do some damage to my back, I got some gardening done.

I'm playing with Moon Flowers so I built a couple towers adjacent to our picnic table and fire pit.

Should be very nice in the evening when we sit out bu the fire.
Stuck the tomatoes in the ground.

Planted my Bride's new flower boxes.

Planted a "Petunia Tower" with some Dianthus and Lobelia.

Made a Little Rock planter for some begonias.

And ....generally had fun playing in the dirt  ;D

So I went to the bone cruncher today and have another appointment for tomorrow. The big pot with the flower tower was the one that did it. Oh well, I'll heal up.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1254 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Looking sharp RG!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1255 on: May 15, 2017, 06:55 PM »
The older I get, the more I love watching stuff come alive in the spring.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1256 on: May 16, 2017, 06:58 AM »
That looks great Bob..
You should join your local garden  club.

Got my seeds in last evening and also got the mower out and cut grass till dark..  Hope I can finish tonight..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1257 on: May 17, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Kept at it today.
Got the peppers and cukes/pickles in. Fortified the soil with manure/compost/peat and a bit of lime and bone meal.

Mulched the peppers with some partially composted leaves and stuff. Left the other side open.

Moved the compost bin and built a tool storage rack to free up some space in the garden area for a few experimental planter towers.

Harvested a nice batch of radishes for last night's salad. Man they taste great.

More to do....more to come.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1258 on: May 17, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Man I can't wait to retire LOL  ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1259 on: May 17, 2017, 09:00 PM »
X2!!!    ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.