FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: biggest gill  (Read 58591 times)

crappieman12887

Re: biggest gill
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:45 AM »
3 1/2 lbs, 14" for me

what about you?
i would love to catch a blue that big,i would have had the thing mounted. the next time please post a pic with the name of the lake you cuaght it in for i can go get me one.bill

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2004, 06:02 PM »
Troutfishingbear,

There are at least five different strains of Sunfish,  including Bass!!  :D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Troutfishingbear,

There are at least five different strains of Sunfish,  including Bass!!  :D

I went on sunday to my fav. lake for gills and caught 1 bluegill, about 2 1/4 lbs, and 9 largemouth bass. I got a pic. of the bluegill, and i will get it developed and hopefully be able to scan it on the computer so you can all see it. Funny thing, t hough, I will be sticking my tongue out in the picture because my dad said I wasn't going to catch anything!!!

cheeks

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 08:54 AM »
whats a pumpkin seed? we always call them "bluegills" here

Here is a link to the New York State DEC webpage.  It discusses the differences, with illustrations, between the various Sunfish.  http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishspecs/sunfitxt.html

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #19 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Did you not see the 2 1/4 pounder that I posted? That IS a state record in colorado. (weighed on dig. scale)

I have only fished there about 5 times this year, and have caught 5 others that were in the 2 1/4 lb. to 2 1/2 lb. range. I haven't brought the camera the other times because I thought one big one my first time would be proof enough for you. Apparently not. all I know is it is bigger than your biggest in that pic. by a long shot.

Mostly, though i have been catching some big bass up there this year. Haven't really been focusing on the gills as much. I'll get you one more, but I still haven't had my pics. from 2 months ago developed with some smallmouth and other trout. (no dig. camera)

You see, slipbob, unlike you I don't find it necessary to take a picture of every fish I catch, and I usually can't because I am either without a camera in my group or by myself.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #20 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:35 PM »
Looking back the pic. of the one I posted was from may second and it was only 1 3/4 lbs. Hmm. I know I got a bigger one this year that was 2 1/4 and thought I posted it. I will have to look through my pics.

I still have many more pics to develop ole' slippy, so don't worry.

Have gotten 1 gill this year that got the old digital scale to 3.1 lbs. 13 1/2 " fish. I might have a picture coming of this one, I don't know. I still have several hundred pics. to develop and I might not get it done for a while because of school obligations.

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Hey if this is true  :o Once the ice sets I am on my way with auger, bucket and pole TFB! hmmm, Should I beef up my 2lb test?

-Scott

bigdave1018

« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2004, 07:03 AM »
here in ny , a 1 lb. gill is a trophy fish. the growing season here is alot shorter then southern waters. im still looking after 40 yrs of fishing for my 1st 12 in gill, lol. tight lines, big dave out

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2004, 12:48 PM »
I'm not in it for the record slipbob but I could get it today if I wanted to. It's to much of a pain, for example I know of many anglers who have caught rainbows in the 20 lb. range, but not gone for the record. Why? because it's just a pain.

I have also fished the state record holding lake, but not caught one above 1 1/2 lbs there, the cdow kind of ruined it.

And it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment from my lake anyway. Too many people could do it, nearly everyone anytime if they just could avoid the weeds and use the right tackle. The lake is that good

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2004, 07:11 PM »
I know hundreds of people who have broke that record. Eric, you could break it if you fished weedless and small at jerry creek. 2 lbs. 4 oz. is the "record" but I'd say the real record is probably around 3 3/4 lbs. Seen a few gills that are about 15-16" in that lake

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #25 on: Sep 02, 2004, 04:23 AM »
 :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
Scotty 

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2004, 09:44 PM »
I know hundreds of people who have broke that record. Eric, you could break it if you fished weedless and small at jerry creek. 2 lbs. 4 oz. is the "record" but I'd say the real record is probably around 3 3/4 lbs. Seen a few gills that are about 15-16" in that lake
I'm not dogging you but let me know when you want to go cause it definitely won't be a hassle for me to report that trophy.

me and you will go sometime and you will see. rude skeptics like slipbob just don't understand.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2004, 09:48 PM »
especially when hundreds of people are breaking the state record by over a pound and out of all those people noboby claims it.  I know we have some others on the site from Colorado here and have you ever caught these 3 1/2 lb gills and not turned them in to claim your rightful place as the state record holder. 

But you see slipbob, hundreds of people don't fish this lake. There are maybe 15 regulars from our whole valley that fish it, and we don't want the secret out. I told it on this site because there are what, 4-5 members from my area in grand junction?

Raleigh fished the lake just after ice off and caught nothing, but then the fish are deep. (you can only fish this lake in open water and by foot. It would be impossible to get a boat or icefish there anyway since you have to walk)

I know one member on this site that has caught bluegills over 3 lbs. at this lake and many, and that is mackdaddy. Soon when I take eric he will be one of them.

TimC1086

« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2004, 09:55 PM »
Im sure slipbob isnt trying to be rude, and im not either, but you have to understand, a 3lb bluegill in the northeast is absolutely unheard of, and you dont have a picture to back it up. You can see why we'd be skeptical. I'm not saying you're lying, I dont think slipbob is either... but its hard for us to believe this lake is swimming with fish that big, something foreign to people in our area, without a picture.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:31 PM »
I understand you tim, but slipbob has attacked me before and I am quite sure of his intent.

When I first heard about the lake, I was a skeptic too. But when I went, I caught about 8 largemouth that were fairly small, 10-13" and thought it wasn't special. Then all of the sudden a bluegill-type hit on my popper and my line started zinging. I finally landed the bluegill, my biggest ever at about 3 1/2 lbs. according to this guy fishing next to me. (his dig. scale said 3.52) He was a regular at the lake and I believe still is. I still remember my eyes when the scale said the weight, and he laughed and said he had fished the lake for 2 years before this, and his biggest was something like 3.6 lbs.

This was 3 years ago, and I have fished this lake since and caught about 50 bluegill over 2 lbs in probably about 50 trips.

The only other lakes that I have caught a bluegill over 2 lbs. 4 oz  is harvey gap, and gills are large here to with a fair number of 1 pounders to be caught. Harvey gap also produced approx. a  17 lb. 10 oz largemouth (around that weight) 3 years ago but the guy ate it. it wouldve broken the record in 40 states.

I also know a guy ( a member of this site actually, scchase) that caught a pike out of harvey gap that when he filleted it, he got 4 bags of 5 lb. filets.

Rifle gap also produced a 25 lb. rainbow about 6 years back, but the guy thought it was a laker and ate it.

The colorado and roaring fork rivers have each produced a rainbow over 30lbs. and several over 20 in the last 5 years (all records) but none have been recorded/ turned in.

I also caught the state record green sunfish  in connected lakes when I was 8 years old. It was 11 1/2 " in length and weighed 1.90 lbs, and if I hadn't ate it it would still be a record to this day.

So you see slipbob, its not just me, but many, many, many fisherman. You can call me a liar but when you call scchase a liar, mackdaddy a liar, and soon to be raleigh and eric (when I get them on jerry creek gills) liars you will soon figure out that it is your skepticism rather than all of our lying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.