FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 4220 times)

DWS

Help Please
« on: Jul 31, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Hello ,

I am an outdoorsman from Northern New York and I thinking of relocating my family  to The Williston area. Im looking for ideas and some general help finding a place to live . I know it's a long shot but I figured i would try it .  It looks like paradise there . Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Thank's Don

corny13

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2012, 10:17 PM »
VERY HARD to find a place to live in Williston andCostly$$$.  But was a great  place to live in the past lost of fishing and hunting. Town is expected to go from 10K to 100K in the next 10 yrs.  I know that people are moving all the wayto Devils Lake with familys to find housing for families and then working the Patch.  Good luck!  I wouldnt come out with out finding a place to live before bringing the family.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2012, 11:06 PM »
It's rough out there.... Watch your tail.

I have several friends who have gone out there for work. Rough necks, truckers, and people with few worldly attachments are the populous. They all hate it with an extreme passion, but the pay is good. I'm sure the infrastructure and housing will improve with time, but it's no place for families right now. The illegal and shady "side businesses" have taken root. Ladies of ill repute and meth dealers are there to service the workers "needs".

The guys I know go out there, work NON STOP, and get home asap with a chubby billfold. I don't know of any who go unarmed.

Stories may be exaggerated a bit, but I would guess they are more truth than fiction.

SeisMec

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:17 AM »
My in-laws live there. He's a teacher, she works for the Williston DA. I drive through about every 2 months. Here's the down side!
Greed has taken hold there, rent has gone from $800-$1000 a month for a house to $1800 a room, minimum. Oil company hotels "man camps" charge $1800- $2000 a month. Violent crime has jumped 400%.  Traffic has increase the same 400% but without any road improvements to handle all the big rigs on the road. Those same trucks are tearing up the roads faster than they can be repaired. They use to only have 1 strip club now I believe there are about 9. Like already has been mentioned, the rougher/seeder side of is raising it ugly head faster than the city can take care of it. Reportedly a couple of out of state drug gangs have moved in. There is next to no available housing and living in a camper or RV will get you a ordinance violation ticket as of about 1 and 1/2 months ago unless you are in a approved campground (also very hard to find). You may have to move your family to central North Dakota or eastern Montana.
The up side is:
Good fishing along the Missouri River and Lake Sakakawea. Once the deer herds recover from Blue Tongue disease there will be some good hunting around there, also good pheasant, goose and duck hunting. Most of the locals are very nice people, almost too trusting of their neighbors, they are learning the hard lesson that not all people are as nice. I really can't say how nice a lot of those people are.

So if you go there. make sure that you have a place to stay be it in a man camp provided by on of the oilfield companies or wherever and watch your back. Not all those people are bad, just enough to make it unsafe.

Cornbread

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2012, 09:26 AM »
My family has lived in ND since before it was a state. We homesteaded there and have been there a very, very long time. I have lots of relatives in that area and I would suggest you try to locate your family around an hour and a half drive from Williston. Try the Crosby or Fortuna areas or even the Columbus area and make the longer commute. Keep your family out of the main oilfield areas and do the extra driving instead. As others have mentioned until the state gets a better handle on the crime and greed issues going on it is better to live farther away and make a longer commute.
There are only two types of truly happy people in this world, married women and single men.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.