FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Last two Sundays  (Read 1894 times)

imsafanct

Last two Sundays
« on: Oct 05, 2015, 03:50 PM »
I hit Mansfield again on 9/27, this time staying on the boat launch side.

No lie, on one of my first casts of the morning, throwing a 9" Drifter Super Believer near the small island, I caught a 2 lb. largemouth. The lure was 2/3 the length of the fish. Too funny!

The weeds have started to die a bit and I spent the morning working edges. I had a couple pike follows on my gold and red Pearson's Grinder spinnerbait but they wouldn't commit. A big 6 lb. largemouth did eat it though; a new PB for me. The fish was very large in terms of length and "height", but not fat or chunky at all. No aerial acrobatics from this fish; it went straight down into the weeds and towed me and my yak around for a few. FUN!

My wife and I were away this past weekend and we got home around noon yesterday. I got out for a couple hours in the afternoon, fished a very flooded Keeney Cove in the yak and got skunked. I'm looking forward to this coming weekend, probably back at Mansfield or maybe the river if my fishing buddy is available.

-Eric

lowaccord66

Re: Last two Sundays
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Nice report.  Keep at those pike!  I've nailed quite a few big largemouth bycatch in the past few weeks, helps take the edge off! 

imsafanct

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2015, 08:12 AM »
I'll be after pike from now till next Summer, in open water and through the ice, but THIS is my favorite time of year. I get to throw the big stuff! I'm VERY curious how the water level has changed at Mansfield after the recent rain. Can't wait to rip a Cowgirl over the top of dying weeds with my Tranx.

-Eric

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2015, 08:32 AM »
You are clearly a gluten for punishment.  I'd be fishing the CT river hard from East Haddam down south if I wasn't completely inflicted with fall run fever.  You think a big pike hits hard??? Have a albacore blast metal reeling as hard as you can! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.