FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lake and brook trout  (Read 2975 times)

weneric

• wishing i was still young
lake and brook trout
« on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:11 PM »
haven"t posted anything for a long time now. i was in a fire, and then had pnuemonia. still not right. may never really recover. will finally start fishing again. i need some advice about catching trout in a large lake . we are going to racquette lake in new york camping and fishing for four days next weekend. we will have small boats with motors, and canoes. any advice would be appreciated. thank you guys, and gals. eric

lowaccord66

Re: lake and brook trout
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Eric, my best advise is to do one of 2 things.  If you have leadcore setups I'd be in 60-100 fow trolling spoons or live bait.  If you don't have LC setups then do the same with snap weights and live bait.  Find ridges near deep water flats if possible. 

Second option really requires electronics to do right.  Find and mark lakers then vert jig them with soft plastics.  I use heavy kietech tungsten jig heads and 5 inch jerk shads in white.  Saturday before last I had 3 lakers murder it in about 100 fow at quabbin!  If you go this route make sure you do a regular retrieve to the surface like you would have if you cast.  Sometimes they will snatch the bait after chasing it for 50 feet! 

weneric

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2015, 07:07 PM »
thanks, Jon. Abouch 77 has the electronics. we will employ both avenues. really thankful for the advice!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Lots more detailed info available if you do a google search for laker jigging. I hear there are numbers in Raquette laker wise.  I haven't made the trip because Lake George is closer.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Where are you staying?  How small are these boats?
Raquette Lake is a big lake made up in to two different basins.  You have the South basin in the town of Raquette which is not that deep and not good for big lake trout this time of year..
The north basin as you enter it through the needles straight north to bluff point is your deepest spot..
Guys are trolling with downriggers now off of there.. And running planner boards for LL's...
If you have small boats and canoes I would suggest the mouth of the Marion river for some brook trout...
Hope this helps...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:35 PM »
And get a good map....    ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

weneric

« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2015, 04:59 PM »
if i"m spelling it right, we will camp at bouchet point. 14 footers.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Boucher Point? 
North end..  You must have a camp there?

weneric

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2015, 05:46 PM »
all i cansay, is out of eight guys. i am the only one not a boucher. no camp that im aware of. one of the guys calls himself boucher in the french pronunciation. he owns property in new york. that is the only reason we are going there. we usually camp and fish on Great Northern properties in northwestern connecticut.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2015, 01:15 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.