FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Blackfish  (Read 5874 times)

eiderz

Blackfish
« on: Oct 14, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Anybody else been? We had two great days over the weekend, a total of over 80 caught.

Saturday morning I was solo in about 4-6 fow. Couldn't keep bait on the hook, as usual the bait thieves cleaned the hook three times for every fish caught. Many shorts but easily scored a limit of 20-23 inch fish. Togzilla came out to play once, he was digging deep for several minutes. As the war went on I almost got him to the net then he made one more run for the rocks. I refused to let him go, until the rod exploded like an M-80.   :'( The rocks did the rest.  :P Next time Togzilla, next time!  ;D

Sunday Mrs. Eiderz came along, unfortunately it was nasty. A stiff SW breeze was blowing 2-3 footers through and in order to hold the spot I had the anchor rode on the port cleat. Taking the waves on the beam made for a sporty morning, but I mostly cut bait and unhooked fish so there were lots of smiles. Now I am fortunate never to have been seasick, and the Mrs. is pretty tough as well, but she got a little green after a couple of hours. As I fire up to depart the low injector oil warning comes on so I got the honor of crawling under the console to refill it. Felt like I was in a car crash afterward, I got bruises on both arms and my back from being tossed around so hard. Part of the game I guess.

lowaccord66

Re: Blackfish
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Haven't been yet, past two weekends were spent chasing funny fish on MV.  I'll be at the walls in New Haven all weekend.  I need a new anchor and some cheap rope and wood blocks and Ill be ready to go.

eiderz

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:13 AM »
I chased the bonito and little tunnies many years ago, lost interest when it became a game of bumper cars every time the fish surface. Back then we were viewed as lunatics, everybody knew that only idiots fished saltwater with a flyrod.  ::) Without competition it was common to catch 8-10 in a trip.

One of my dad's and my most memorable trips was the day in September, 1983 that Dennis Connor went looking for wind and failed. We were listening on the radio from outside Watch Hill, I tried to see the AC boats with the field glasses but couldn't pick them out. Our day was much better as we bailed the LT's.

bug-chazer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Went out of RI last Thursday. Got 7 6 to 8 pounders lots of shorts and A 5 lb sea bass. Haven't been out of ct yet.

eiderz

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Got 7 6 to 8 pounders lots of shorts and A 5 lb sea bass.

That's  a pile o' meat!

eiderz

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Forgot to mention that local bait store green crab supplies went from "we'll never sell all these" on Friday, to rationing Sunday morning, to me returning crabs Monday so everybody got bait. Unbelievable!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I grab my own crabs!  Supply is nearly endless!

eiderz

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I grab my own crabs!  Supply is nearly endless!

I'm just too lazy in my old age. Plus it's fun to stop in and bs at the bait shop.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:49 AM »
I hear you.  Its work to grab them at 3am to be ready for first light.  Sometimes we find silver dollar sized greens walking the beach.  Those work well.

eiderz

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2015, 04:15 PM »
I hear you.  Its work to grab them at 3am to be ready for first light.  Sometimes we find silver dollar sized greens walking the beach.  Those work well.

There's a sweet spot size for sure. In 50 years of chasing the buggers I still can't figure out exactly what it is!

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Getting ready for tomorrow.  Took the boat out briefly this am in the sweet to ensure good cold starts.  No issues.  Now just need a new anchor, some 2 stroke oil, and charged batteries and Ill be after those blackfish all day tomorrow (and some albies maybe)

eiderz

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Was out Friday PM with a buddy. Bite was off, they were on a bait stealing spree. Brought a few home but not a massacre like last weekend.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Going to be a cold start for sure.  I went to cabelas and came out a bight ligther in the wallet.  I better not lose this anchor!  I lost one at the new haven breakwaters and one at sacandaga....I need a second job to pay for anchor!

(I did add another trevala to my rod collection so that felt good)

bug-chazer

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Try add large float to anchor line , it helps to lift the anchor when you back up to free it

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2015, 04:35 AM »
Try add large float to anchor line , it helps to lift the anchor when you back up to free it

Is there a specific brand I can take a look at? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.