FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Too soon?  (Read 2829 times)

Ravo_Himself

Too soon?
« on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Is it too early to start switching back to fish finder? Might have to break out the fly gear soon
Every fisherman is a liar. Except for me of course!

-Ryan-

imsafanct

Re: Too soon?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Hell no! Let's get this party started.

I'll be at Keeney or Mansfield this Sunday morning, looking for pike. Fishfinder will be installed into the yak tomorrow. I'm SO ready!

-Eric

eiderz

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Looks like the softwater is on! Remember to check regs to make sure the lake or river you want to fish is still open, many close the last day of February. I'm looking forward to the early tog season, won't be long now and the water should warm up enough for a good bite.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:42 AM »
The sooner the better...  Its getting way easier for me to launch a boat than walk across a frozen lake...   ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

willytrout

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:45 PM »
No way Ravo. Heading  out with my fly rod in the am. Looking to find a few natives in roaring brook

wastingtime12

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:56 PM »
With the way this weather has been this is the perfect time to start getting ready for some open water!!

imsafanct

« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:41 AM »
As promised, I made it to Mansfield yesterday morning. There was still a small amount of ice left in certain spots but most of the place was nice and open. It was my first day yaking with electronics and the new Helix 5 worked perfectly.

I made a beeline for the Fenton River and tried a 6" weightless Slug-Go, a Bucher Slopmaster, a Mann's 1-Minus, a 6" Jake and a 7" weighted Suick. I focused on an area of water that was no more than two-three feet deep where I saw pike staged to spawn last April. Water temps ranged from 35-38 degrees so I wasn't expecting too much. I had one small pike stalk the Jake to within 15' of the yak as I was twitching it very slowly, only to turn and bail on me as soon as I saw him. I also saw a larger pike cruising slowly in the same area. I had the Slopmaster in my hand and cast past the fish and ripped it right back into the fish's face but I didn't get a reaction. That was the only action I had all morning.

Still probably a touch cold for artificials but my Winter tweaking of rod/reel/lure combos worked perfectly, so I'm happy and ready for more. I'm hoping the action gets better as things warm and I'll be back this coming weekend to try again. I'm going to try to get in on the ice-out/pre-spawn/post-spawn pike bite over the next couple months as much as I am able to.

I'm ready!

-Eric

willytrout

« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:05 AM »
i did hit roaring brook up in ashford sunday. it was a beautiful day. thru nymphs a lot with no action so i switch to streamers and land 2 nice browns on a small dace pattern.
they werent big as natives usually arent 8-9 inches but boy are they colorful.

jim

octanehi5

• WORK WAS MADE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T FISH
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Most fishing in lakes with trout,ends today ,until the second sat in april, This includes all of our lakes that contain Walleye,except Batterson,Paugatopaug which is private, What morons made walleye season open all yr ,then close 95%of the lakes that hold them. And by the way were going to raise the price of fishing for trout. welcome to the not sportsmen friendly State
If it was easy they would have called it catchin,not fishin

bug-chazer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Malloy is a city liberal , don't need fishing for inner city people to survive , just welfare :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.