FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This is getting Crazy! (Rod Types & Selection)  (Read 2205 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
This is getting Crazy! (Rod Types & Selection)
« on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I have a decent selection of rods and they each have their use...but these companys are starting to bring out a rod for everything. We all know what works best with what, what kind of action we perfer with with bait. But to label a rod, "frogging rod" that just seems to be going a little far.

G-Loomis is the King of this and at there prices you would have to spend near 2grand to have the perfect rod for all types of presentation

1) worming rods
2) spinnerbait rod
3) crankbait rods
4) drop shot rods
5) frog rod
6) tube rod

Is it just me? or is this a little over kill

Fishingking

Re: This is getting Crazy! (Rod Types & Selection)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:29 PM »
What? thats crazy I pretty much use one rod for everything :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Just marketing my man.

I have 3 rods 1 for jigging, 1 for trolling, 1 for slip bobber slip sinkers, lindy rigs, etc.  Jigging
rod is light, trolling rod is medium and the slip bobber pole is one 1 found in the garbage that works great.  I think its like a medium light action or maybe even a light action.

Go ahead call me a garbage picker.  But would you pass up a nice looking rod in the trash?
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:40 PM »
No I would not

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Okay I just looked at my rods (they are all strung out across the wall since I respooled spooled them all up last night)

I have 3 leadcore rod/reeels
2 all purpose bigger fish rods/reels mainly when using rapala's
1 salmon rod/reel
6 ultra lights/reels  which I mainly use for bass/pannies
and 1 ulta ultra light for smaller trout streams
1 flyrod/reel

THis is what I setup for this years openwater trips :)

I would never own a rod for each type of lure used in bassfishing lol

Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Its all in marketing. 90% of the guys going out and buying the Name (Loomis) would buy 100 different rods by them if you said you needed all of them to present different lures. If you have $2-300 to blow on a bass rod why not buy them all?

Unless that rods gonna clean and cook the fish for me there's no way in h*ll I'm gonna spend what they charge (the lone exception being the 6/0 tuna stand-up tuna rods I saw on clearence for $65 a few years back that I wish I'd had picked up). My most expensive rod costed about what it'd cost for you to get a Loomis fixed ($50) minus the shipping charges and last time I checked, I caught just as many fish on it as my buddy with his Loomis rods.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:50 PM »
This is why there is Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream. Everyone has their own tastes and everyone has a certain "feel" that they feel comfortable with. Now, I don't fall in this catagory, but there are fishermen, there are Fishermen, and there are FISHERMAN. The FISHERMAN spend the big $ on the quality rods, know how to use them, know how to find fish, and know how to catch them when the others don't. My point is cheap to medium price covers about 75-85% of the fishing population. The expensive are for the foolish and the seriously good.

Mike

Art 53

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:08 PM »
I'm a carpenter and the Kids I work with say  you're only as good as your tools! Well I'm old school but my stuff still out proforms there hi tech junk  learn the basics and the rest will follow. All that said I do have some SWEET Salt water junk

devil-man

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:17 PM »
Yes- It is crazy, and Loomis isn't the only company doing it.
I have a decent selection of rods, and am only going to buy two new ones this year.
There is certainly no need to have a different set-up for every lure you use!

OTIS

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:14 PM »
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:17 PM »
i have one heavy rod for cats, one light rod for trout , bass , panfish and a bunch for the ice
OR      [IMG]

Big Burk

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2006, 10:51 PM »
waste of money!
i got a spinning rod worth about $150 tops
and
i got a baitcasting rod that i seldom use that is worth around $200
i plan on gettin a fly rod but i gotta know if it would be good for pike, walley, perch and the ocassional rockbass.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:05 AM »
You guys are all missing the real point of the different rods.  Now there is another reason to justify buying more gear  ;D!  You can say well I don't have a rod specifically for drop shotting so I need to get one to catch more fish  ;D!  It's like my wife having 5 pairs of black shoes that all look the same to me, gives me a good argument to get yet another rod and reel  :thumbup_smilie:!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Hood

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:21 AM »
BJ your right on, its INSANE! and all for bass...come on!  You ought to get a happy ending after those purchases!  I have a couple ugly stick spinning rods...one ultralight and one medium...a couple okuma leadcore setups with old penn squidders...a couple striper rods with shimano tridents... 2 fluke/bottomfish rods (convetred ugly stick blanks with custom wraps) and a spread of tuna sticks....thats about a dozen rods that are capable of cathing almost anything on earth....best part is I try and catch almost everything on the ultralight uglystick...there not a bass on earth that cant be handled with it, its caught 20 lb mahi. countless fiesty bluefish and stripers and meets the needs for the smallest panfish up to slammer browns,lakers, and salmon..best part is it was 30 bucks and will take far more use and abuse than any loomis.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:26 AM »
best part is it was 30 bucks and will take far more use and abuse than any loomis.

I second that for the ultra-light ugly stick. i have two. one with fireline and one with flourocarbon.  that is it. I use them for EVERYTHING (freshwater). 
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.