FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone had any success transplanting ramps?  (Read 1339 times)

bogtrotter

Anyone had any success transplanting ramps?
« on: May 17, 2020, 06:19 PM »
I found a patch of ramps today - - Well, actually, it was my two eldest children who found them, but now they can show me where the ramps are, so I know their location.

Based on my first-time experience this evening, I can say ramps make a d**n good omelet.

I'm thinking about digging up a few of the wild ramps and transplanting them in my yard so that I might eventually have a patch of my own.  (According to the Web, they grow slowly, so I realize it will take a few years before I can hope for a respectable sized patch).

Has anyone else out there tried transplanting the - - and, if so, do you have any tips about how to go about doing it?

claymore6

Re: Anyone had any success transplanting ramps?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:52 PM »
I trans planted about a dozen five years ago. I still have about a dozen that come up each year. This is the first year I have more than a few new shoots in with the older plants.  I think I probably have them too close to my chive mounds and they don't get enough light. They have a very short growing season and then shut down (like garlic, but even shorter). I use mushroom compost as fertilizer.

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:13 PM »
As long as the bulb and roots are in good shape they should take. 
I gave a coworker a bunch that were too wilty to sell several years ago and they’re still coming up.

BerkshireBass

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Yes! I’ve transplanted them, they need a lot of shade, and like you said reproduce slowly, but it works. I’d put the bottom slice of the bulb with the roots back in the ground after it’s used, not sure if it makes a difference, but it can’t hurt.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:15 PM »
What exactly is a ramp, besides a place to launch boats?

I thought I was in a different website: "My Dish finder"....
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 03:51 PM »
What exactly is a ramp, besides a place to launch boats?

I thought I was in a different website: "My Dish finder"....

Allium tricoccum is a North American species of wild onion widespread across eastern Canada and the eastern United States. Many of the common English names for this plant are also used for other Allium species, particularly the similar Allium ursinum which is native to Europe and Asia. Wikipedia

Good eats if you can find some.

I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 04:25 PM »
We  had a bumper crop last year in NY. I cut off root and leaves. Sorted by size. Vacuum sealed in portions. Froze. They were great all year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.