FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339710 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...
« on: Mar 31, 2015, 10:55 AM »
  I want too start this years thread with my take on the state of the lake meeting I attended on March 11th, what I wrote on my facebook page.

Great turn out at the state of the lake meeting, most I 've seen in 25 yrs, nice sitting next too you Rob.

So I asked two questions at the state of the lake meeting. is it standard prosedure too treat steelhead eggs at the hatchery with b 1 vitamins or did they just start it this yr? answer, no they been doing it for decades, that means that thiamine deficiency is not new , its been around along time. now the degree of the dificiency is more severe this yr, so they say because alewives are having a hard time feeding themselves and fat reserves are down, when steelhead eat stressed out alewives it somehow increases thiamine deficiency..

I asked why are the fat reserves so low in alewives this season, in other words why are the baitfish so skinny? was it the cold winter last yr? that question got pushed off...but led too there talk about alewives, we lost a young of the yr class of alewives last winter and the remaining alewives are much thinner than normal. another person asked the Canadian guy that spoke why is the salmon river the only place steelhead seem too die as they have no reports of this happening on the Canadian side even though they eat the same food?, answer, your salmon river is much more crowded and receives heavier fishing pressure... so there you have it. straight from there mouths. What I been saying all along.....Thiamine deficiencies have always been around .... there just particularly severe this past season and steelhead mysteriously only die here on the salmon river where we hook them 70 times a week and take another 100 pictures of them.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 AM »
  In case no one knows, there was some strong steelhead die offs last early October and again in mid November threw early December, DSR and fly zones having the biggest die offs, its been a hot debate as too why there dieing, otherwise seemingly healthy fish just dieing for no reason, but with highest mortality occurring in catch and release areas suggesting that light line leaders amongst fly fisherman and accidental foul hooking in these areas having the biggest effect on them, other parts of the river there is mortality, but not too the extremes that have been occurring at the DSR and up top in the Fly zones....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

JSOKO

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Glad to have you back posting again.

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Nice to see the salmon river thread back up amd running. Always can find solid info on here. Thanks snagger!!!
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

SNAGGER

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:13 AM »
  Some blame it totally on thiamine issues, there in denial... if that was the case, we wouldn't have hot spots on where mortality is higher,   Lake Ontario's plankton is presently very low, suggesting something has changed, compettion from other things like spiny fleas on top of the quagga/zebra muscles and other invaders......it could just be harsh winters, or it could be too much bait, or  all of the above... no one really knows yet, but whatever the reason ....it is causing the strong alewives classes out there too starve, and with them so much thinner, when eaten by salmonoids there is an abundance of thiamese in these alewives, it makes steelhead and cohos stressed and deficient... When these fish enter the river they look and fight healthy, but if beat on over and over and repeatedly get taken out of the water for pictures, they soon roll over and die, there more fragil then in years past, the dieing has been occurring statewide, but not even close too the extremes here on the salmon river.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:23 AM »

Redfield Reservoir update March 22nd, its drawn down as far as they can draw it down, approx. 16 feet from water mark too the ice, couldn't physically measure it as collapsed ice was too steep too walk on, supprised there running 350, should still be lower. long dry winter took its toll.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:25 AM »

Lake Ontario ice coverage March 30th

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:28 AM »
 In case no one knows, there was some strong steelhead die offs last early October and again in mid November threw early December, DSR and fly zones having the biggest die offs, its been a hot debate as too why there dieing, otherwise seemingly healthy fish just dieing for no reason, but with highest mortality occurring in catch and release areas suggesting that light line leaders amongst fly fisherman and accidental foul hooking in these areas having the biggest effect on them, other parts of the river there is mortality, but not too the extremes that have been occurring at the DSR and up top in the Fly zones....
We were fishing below the Lower fly fishing section in Altmar (below the bridge) last Friday and Saturday.  We saw at least a dozen fish floating by us each day in various states of dying.  What shocked me was most of the fish were very big and very fresh and clean looking.  I also caught a really beat up, spawned out female during the trip that had some nasty looking parasites all over it's gill rakers.  These are my observations from a quick trip up from MA.

SNAGGER

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 AM »

yep forgot about gill lice, seems it likes cold weather, its more abundant this winter as well, another stress factor, were in a perfect storm right now, fishin pressure is the highest I've ever witnessed in my life, has nothing too do with computer posting, it was a hard winter, people got cabin fever bad ....rivers dead low, so very fly fishing friendly, not bashing them, just its a perfect storm for mortality in the fly zones right now, very cold water heath issues and over fishing, perfect storm, surprised dec hasn't closed them down too protect hatchery broodstock.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

wiredstone

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Great info. this does suck.
 :-\
wooo fish on. Never mind

SNAGGER

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2015, 12:02 PM »

Nothing we can do about this, we got a couple tough years ahead of us..... less photos, bigger lb test, shorter battles....as a photographer I take my share, but I'm no hypocrite, most of my photos are of dead fish, fish in my station or one I killed, I've not taken a photo of a released steelhead in sometime, maybe 2 yrs.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

monic20

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Ah shoot  back up and running we are!!!!! Boom!!!

adrock

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Good info.  Glad to see the thread back!  Thanks for sharing all the information with us.

FISHNIK

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2015, 02:22 PM »
My 2 cents is that guys snag a fish,play it out til it's half dead then throw it on the rocks and beat the hell out of fish some more,and finally giving the fish a swift kick back in the river sometimes after taking a half a dozen pics.The regs. on C&R need to be tightened up and enforced severely!I firmly believe that 50% of dieoff is contributed to mishandling fish,I see it time after time on the Erie creeks.I always make mention when I see this that these fish deserve way more respect than they received,but it always falls on deaf ears,mostly in a reply of "the fish will be fine it swam away"!Yes the fish swam away but is so exhausted that it can't hold itself in decent current to feed and litteraly is carried by the current til it drowns from exhaustion!I think you should have to take a course on C & R and have a certificate  that verifies you took the course and should know how to properly release fish,and it should be strictly enforced by the law in C&R areas! :police: :police: :police:!I can't even fish near people because of this disrespect tward these beautiful gems,I also believe that a law should be enforced that if you have your limit on a stringer your done for the day.I know it would be a bit unfair for Lake O tribs seeing that I think the limit is still 1 but will cut down on abuse of fish IMO.We pay for these fish and should be outraged when we see these gems abused so don't be afraid to say something if you see abuse of our fish!I think if I use a little more tact,but you can't get through to these ignorant jack###es so I can just speak my peace and move on, or get into a confrontation which has happened more than once,not my kind of fishing.I have been downstream many times and seen fish floating in the current,when I do I'll try to net the fish and try to revive it in calm water and hopefully it survives.ENOUGH SAID!!

kc

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Just to post the first fishing report. Bryan and I went 4 for 8 today. The afternoon was real slow for us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.