FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling plate  (Read 2959 times)

bikrsrule

trolling plate
« on: Jul 02, 2019, 03:43 AM »
I just picked up a new boat with a 9.9 honda 4 stroke and it just doesnt troll slow enough, according to gps I am doing about 1.8 mph, should I be thinking of a trolling plate or just tow a bucket?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: trolling plate
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2019, 07:24 AM »
Trolling plates suck unless there is no wind or waves whatsoever because they make the boat really hard to handle. I hated mine. Buckets work fine but bounce off the boat in the waves and drive me nuts (whatever you drag needs to be off the forward cleats, next to the bow so you aren't dragging buckets in the fish fighting area). Trolling bags aka drift socks aka sea anchors are the ticket. They actually greatly enhance how your boat handles and keep it stable in the wind. You tie them off the forward cleat, rear of the bag on the stern cleat and you can dump them from the back of the boat. The best I have seen are by Amish Outfitters and they have a two pack deal. https://www.amishoutfitters.com/

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Trolling plates suck unless there is no wind or waves whatsoever because they make the boat really hard to handle. I hated mine. Buckets work fine but bounce off the boat in the waves and drive me nuts (whatever you drag needs to be off the forward cleats, next to the bow so you aren't dragging buckets in the fish fighting area). Trolling bags aka drift socks aka sea anchors are the ticket. They actually greatly enhance how your boat handles and keep it stable in the wind. You tie them off the forward cleat, rear of the bag on the stern cleat and you can dump them from the back of the boat. The best I have seen are by Amish Outfitters and they have a two pack deal. https://www.amishoutfitters.com/

X2 on the plate.
I agree 101% with what Geoff posted here.

Turn down the idle on the 9.9
I had the same problem a few years back on a Yamaha 20hp 4stroke on my little 16' Mirrocraft.
After I turned it down I could creep along at .5-.6 mph on the GPS.
Put the motor into a garbage can filled with water, with the hose clamped into the top and running to keep cool water filling it.
Start the outboard.
Click it into gear, being very careful your water hose is up out of the way of the prop.
No start adjusting the idle screw until you get to where you want it.
Take it down as low as it will go without stalling.
After you get it where you want, click the motor into and out of gear a few times to make sure it doesn't stall on you.
If it does, or stumbles, turn the idle up slightly until you get to where you're happy.
Good luck.
Mac

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2019, 10:27 AM »
i would have a prop shop tune the prop to go slower, just remember not to over rev on the upper end. on my 115 ive always had different pitched props depending what i wanted to do.  you can also play with the tilt settings on the motor

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2019, 11:06 AM »
i would have a prop shop tune the prop to go slower, just remember not to over rev on the upper end. on my 115 ive always had different pitched props depending what i wanted to do.  you can also play with the tilt settings on the motor

It's a 9.9 hp motor.
I had my prop diameter cut down on my 8hp Honda (almost same motor) because it was pushing my 16.5' Rebel too fast (along with the Terova on the front).
Prop guy said re-pitching these smaller props isn't worth the time.
So he simply turned down the diameter in a lathe.
Worked better.
But I don't think this is the route this guy should go as he will lose top end.

Also, over-reving a small outboard like this one isn't typically a worry.

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2019, 12:12 PM »
i would still do the prop, i hate buckets and socks and that trolling plate on sebago was outright dangerous in certain situations. i put a homemade prop hoop guard on the 6 hp kicker to keep the downrigger lines out, that slowed it down a little as well.  never been known for speed

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Also don't forget about setting the trim on the motor as high as possible to direct thrust up instead of straight back. That can help. I also used to deploy my bow mount trolling motor and turn it sideways to create some more drag.

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2019, 01:43 PM »
looks like the 9.9 has multiple pitch sizes, i would not have thought that on that size motor
https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/Honda/?motor=K0099A&ver=a&model=9.9HP%20BF9.9%20(8%20Spline)

mowbizz

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2019, 02:42 PM »
What the heck are you trolling for? 1.8 is not fast in my opinion and when the thermocline sets up on Winni we troll at 2.2 and have great results!
By the way we also use a sea anchor to allow for wind conditions.
I troll with a 22 foot tritoon and a 150 Yamaha.
The plan is to get a kicker motor but we’d rather sell the toon and get something more “fishable” like a walk around with cuddy.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2019, 02:47 PM »
looks like the 9.9 has multiple pitch sizes, i would not have thought that on that size motor
https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/Honda/?motor=K0099A&ver=a&model=9.9HP%20BF9.9%20(8%20Spline)

I tried to get the 7" pitch for my 8hp Honda 4st without any luck 2-3 years back.
Nobody had it.
I bought the 8" and still ended up having the diameter cut down by my prop guy.
It worked but I'm only using the motor as a trolling kicker.
Not as the main motor as you are.

Here's a pic of mine -

I would still try adjusting your idle as I mentioned in an earlier post before changing props.

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2019, 02:50 PM »
alot fish bait at .6 to 1.1 mph.  maine lakes its all year, nh mostly at iceout, that and some are fishing mostly for lake trout which is better at slow speeds most of the year

bikrsrule

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Thank you for all the replies, I will start with trying to turn down the idle then go from there..

mowbizz

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:40 PM »
alot fish bait at .6 to 1.1 mph.  maine lakes its all year, nh mostly at iceout, that and some are fishing mostly for lake trout which is better at slow speeds most of the year

Ahh live bait! Gotcha! Never tried live bait trolling before.

bikrsrule

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2019, 03:29 AM »
UPDATE,  I have had my boat out a couple times and i finally tried turning down the idle last evening, worked well, idles down to 1.4mph according to gps..Works great, I was trolling for trout but all i got were white perch..oh well..fish r fish, thanks again for everyones help..

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2019, 05:12 AM »
I'll take the white perch.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.