FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: No Longer Leagle !!!  (Read 1850 times)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
No Longer Leagle !!!
« on: Jun 06, 2006, 04:38 PM »
According to D.E.C officer Levanway of region 8 !

Set lines are no longer permitted in ANY New York state waters .
I just personally spoke with him on this subject and there are no places designated to run set lines or bank lines .
The rules are still in the book and are scheduled to be removed .
Per his words ... If you are caught doing so you will be charged with unlawfully fishing New York state waters and along with the charge is a hefty fine to be determined by a judge .
Asked.... even though it is still on the books what if a person took the rules for what they state and fished using one of these methods and were to get caught thinking they were following the law ? He said that to fish this way you not only had to be on designated waters  but you also had to have a special permit given by an officer to do so and if you were to try and get one you would have been turned down so even if you were to follow the laws governing this type of fishing you would have known you cant do it any longer .

Hope this helps those of you that were posting on this subject the other night .

1Tigger

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: No Longer Leagle !!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I guess that explains why the CO told me it was illegal LOL  ;D

1tigger

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2006, 04:57 PM »
I drive rite past the region 8 office twice a day and finally got a chance to stop and ask ! The guy looked at me like I had a third eye or something when I asked .
He said why would you want to fish like that anyway ... theres no sport in that kind of fishing .

I guess he's never tried it if thats his thought .

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2006, 06:11 PM »
I forget what they called the style of fishing it was but when i worked in Illinois there were always people that would fish with a type of handline that was really ingenious.  They would attach a peace of string to a weight that was able to fit in a copper tube.   then they would attach a huge rubber band to the string and fire it out into the water using Co2 tanks.  They would have a fishing rod attached to the rubber band and then reel the line back in stretching the rubber band to its limits.  they would then remove the fishing line they had on it and put a different line that had up to 50 hooks spread out on it and slowly let the line out with the tension of the rubber band,  as it was going out they would bait each of the hooks.  when they would get a bit they would set the hook by hand and bring the line in and take the fish off and rebait it and let it out agian.  It really was something to see.  I know that lake michigan and the state of IL is the only area that this is legal so dont try it no matter how cool it sounds. 

They would catch anything from salmon to perch doing this.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I drive rite past the region 8 office twice a day and finally got a chance to stop and ask ! The guy looked at me like I had a third eye or something when I asked .
He said why would you want to fish like that anyway ... theres no sport in that kind of fishing .

I guess he's never tried it if thats his thought .

uh for food maybe?      Maybe he forgot that there are certain people and families that cannot afford to go out and buy every meal from a grocery store?     
      I can see maybe why it is no longer legal in NY, but I set lined in Montana and had fun doing it.     
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I just remembered what that style of fishing was called..... It was called power lining.....

tommyboy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Per his words ... If you are caught doing so you will be charged with unlawfully fishing New York state waters and along with the charge is a hefty fine to be determined by a judge .

Fortunately, we dont have to rely on cops to interpret the Constitution.  You can't be charged with doing something illegal if it's not currently illegal, and use of set lines is valid (considering you are already able to do so with a permit) until October 1, 2006 when the new regulations finally go into effect.  I would be willing to bet that you could still get a permit to, considering they have to follow the law on the books (if you were willing to fight for it).

The final rule is available at http://www.dos.state.ny.us/info/register/2006/MAY3/PDFS/rules.pdf, including the responses to commemnts made regarding the proposed rules that someone (I think it was bigred) posted several months ago.

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

1tigger

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Fortunately, we dont have to rely on cops to interpret the Constitution.  You can't be charged with doing something illegal if it's not currently illegal, and use of set lines is valid (considering you are already able to do so with a permit) until October 1, 2006 when the new regulations finally go into effect.  I would be willing to bet that you could still get a permit to, considering they have to follow the law on the books (if you were willing to fight for it).

The final rule is available at http://www.dos.state.ny.us/info/register/2006/MAY3/PDFS/rules.pdf, including the responses to commemnts made regarding the proposed rules that someone (I think it was bigred) posted several months ago.

Do what you wish but I for one am not going to take the chance !
I heard it rite from an econ officers mouth  and he is the one willing to push the issue and I dont know about anyone else but I dont have the kind of money to hire an attourney to try and prove a point . He has the state and the judge on his side and dont have to pay for legal counsil like the rest of us do . If he loose ... no swet off his gonads he didnt hand any money out and he still gets to pay all his bills without changing his budget .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.