FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Harrisonburg??  (Read 4955 times)

anthonyebola

Harrisonburg??
« on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:34 PM »
 I am moving to Harrisonburg in the Fall, Just wondering what type of fisheries are nearby and what I should bring.....

AD

• Born to fish
Re: Harrisonburg??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:13 AM »
     That's a bit farther east then I am.      If your willing to travel a bit youve got some world class walleye fishing, the New River produces 17 pound walleye with a 21 pounder on ancient records.       Their is always some great catfish fishing too.    Just about every lake and pond around here has catfish in them.     Their is bass, musky, a few pike, and trout too.     
       Youll have a little bit of every sort of fishery down here.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

anthonyebola

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:52 AM »
That is exciting.. I have never caught a catfish before... I live in Maine

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:59 AM »
I agree with AD.  Some of the best smallie waters in the nation are within an hour or two of Harrisonburg.  Don't overlook the small streams, many will have a mixed bag of trout and smallmouth.  You won't be disappointed in the fishing opportunities!  Plenty of catfish are there for you too.  Tidal waters just a few hours away have some of the biggest blue cats in the East.  Channel cats are everywhere.  The James has them and also flatheads too.  You can also find big stripers in the tidal rivers and in Smith Mountain Lake.

anthonyebola

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Thanks for the Info!! I am going to be going to school there and plan on spending whatever time i have after studying and partying fishing.  If i had to pack light what tackle would you recommend i bring down ?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2007, 07:23 AM »
I guess that depends on what fish you want to target.  If you are planning on fishing for trout and panfish, then go ultralight or light spinning.  For mostly trout and smallmouth bass, then perhaps bring a medium light or light spinning outfit.  If you want to target largemouth, smallmouth, bass, walleye and muskies, go a bit heavier, like medium spinning and/or medium heavy baitcasting.  For catfish and stripers, you can go medium up to heavy.  Once I know what you are interested in catching, whether you like small streams, rivers or lakes, then I can get you more detail on what lures work, etc.  How light are you talking about packing too?

If it was me, with all of the opportunities in that area and had to limit myself to two rods, then I'd bring a light or ultralight spinning outfit for panfish and trout spooled with 4 lb. test mono, the longer the rod the better IMO.  And I'd bring a medium action 6'6" spinning outfit spooled with 8 lb. test. 

Light or ultralight
Trout for the many trout streams around there: fish spinners, small jigs, flies, small spoons and crankbaits.  This is probably like your brookie fishing in Maine.  There are a lot of wild brook trout streams in VA, but the fish are mostly small, but they are great places to fish if you want some solitude.

For panfish, small jigs (like ice jigs, 1/64-1/32 oz. jigheads/tube heads/crappie jigs), flies, 1 1/2" tubes, small twister tails, with or without a float work well.

Medium
Smallmouth bass:  soft plastics (4" plastic worms, 4" tubes, 4" or 5" grubs, Zoom super flukes - for all of these, use natural colors - you can't go wrong with green pumpkin or watermelon especially on clearer waters, but white and chartreuse works well too on stained water); 1/16 to 1/4 oz. jigheads/tube heads, Texas rig parts (worm weights from 1/32 to 1/4 oz. and hooks ranging from light wire worm hooks size 2 to heavier size 4/0 wide gap hooks for tubes and flukes), small crankbaits (crawfish and minnow patterns work well), minnow baits (floating Rapala's, husky jerks, suspending rattlin' rogues), topwaters (tiny torpedos, small 1/8 to 1/4 oz. buzzers a must, but bigger buzzers get big fish, small zara spooks, pop'rs, jitterbugs), 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits both tandem and single...those all work well.  Most of these can be fished on small streams and the rivers too.

Largemouth bass:  similar baits to those above, but can go bigger sizes.  4" plastic worms are deadly, but bigger plastics work well too.  The rivers have some largemouth, but the lakes are where you'd find most of them.  Again, natural colors work well on the clearer waters, green pumpkin works well on any color water, and don't forget chartreuse and white for stained or murky water.

Walleyes:  husky jerks, minnow baits, long crankbaits, soft plastics (just about any color twister tail).  I prefer 4 or 5" grubs, but paddle tail types work too.  They aren't as picky on colors. 

Muskies will hit anything mentioned in the medium category above.

If I was limited to what I could bring, I'd focus on a good selection of soft plastics targeting whatever you plan to fish for, throw in some spinners and a few crankbaits and minnow baits and you'll be set.

Good luck, post some pics and reports!!!!!!!!

anthonyebola

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Fat Boy... GREATLY APPRECIATED!     Well I believe I can get away with Two rods and a small tackle box, but I will probably buy alot of my fishing gear when im down there... Im not much of a Panfish guy, but i love Bassin' and look forward to catching some southern Largemouth! They dont get as big up here.  ::) Im excited to fish for Walleye, Muskies, and Catfish strictly because we dont have them up here and I am all about broadening my horizons.   Again I appreciate the help and cant wait to post some reports... but not until atleast september!

gellenbr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2007, 04:34 PM »
anthony,

I'm here at JMU too... from massachusetts

when it gets closer, I'll send you some good spots for walleye and trout that are within an hour of school.

anthonyebola

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Wow dude How is the school? Yeh i would definately appreciate some info man
-espo

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:14 PM »
I know some good spots for trout fishing too around here.     That Clinch Mountain state fee fishing area is pretty good fishing this time of year (shameless self promotion)    But thats here in Marion
       No but really this time of year down here the Trout hatcheries have trucks going out every day.    So you have some good stocked trout area's, and with a little work you can get into some natural Brookies (Southern strain).   
      I don't know of too many spots father out east in VA where youll be,   but here in the SW I know some good spots for diferent fish.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2007, 11:44 PM »
I would go with a light and med. spinning rods.
There is only one large lake close (within 90 mins.), Lake Anna.
But, there are plenty of rivers and streams to fish.
I would be after the smallies, catfish, gills, and trout in the area's.

When are you going to be going and how long you'll be there?
Got wheels? the gas is cheaper in VA too, at least from here in NY.

I lived in Roanoke, VA when I was younger and know most of the western part there, from Smith Mountain Lake up to the Shenendoah River, which is one awesome river to wade, canoe, and camp on!!!!!!!!

Let me know when and where abouts you're looking for and PM me.  8)
I headed down this weekend to fish the Smith Mountain Lake with my father and friends.  8)

Fish On!

Go for quanity and fish the rivers and streams on the lighter tackle, it is just out of this world.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

anthonyebola

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Thanks man... I am heading down there every fall and winter for the next 4 years :)  Cant wait to nail some fish in VA. Probly wont have wheels for the first year though :/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.