FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: blue perch  (Read 23852 times)

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
blue perch
« on: Apr 13, 2004, 06:32 PM »
here is a pic of blue perch i caught last year at port bay, ny.  it seems to be a  blue strain of yellow perch.  there was a short article in the in-fisherman mag about blue perch caught in iowa and asked if anyone that would catch one to report it to this guy from the iowa dnr, so i did and sent him this pic too.  i also caught a blue strain of blue gill this year at otisco lake, ny and also posted it on the blue gill post.

[/img]
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

peple of the perch

Re: blue perch
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2004, 06:55 PM »
u should see if it has diffrent food in its stomach

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2004, 08:05 PM »
if i were you i would have it mounted unless the dnr wanted the fish cause that is a spectacular catch.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

icejohn

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2004, 05:04 AM »
as far as the stomach contents, it was the same as the others (i always look). as far as having it mounted, well, lets just say it tasted just as good as the others too.
i am glad i at least took a picture.
thanks,
john
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

crappieman12887

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2004, 11:09 AM »
here is a pic of blue perch i caught last year at port bay, ny.  it seems to be a  blue strain of yellow perch.  there was a short article in the in-fisherman mag about blue perch caught in iowa and asked if anyone that would catch one to report it to this guy from the iowa dnr, so i did and sent him this pic too.  i also caught a blue strain of blue gill this year at otisco lake, ny and also posted it on the blue gill post.

[/img]
you sure the color isnt caused by something in the water ,looks more pail then blue to me,i know some lake that have a lot of mercury the fish caught out of these places are real pail when first caught then tend to darken up a little after out of the water for a few minutes,bill

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2004, 02:06 PM »
Did it glow in the dark???  :o .   It's pretty...........
GONE FISH'G.......

icejohn

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2004, 05:06 PM »
actually it was not "pale", it was blue and was out of the water, on the ice, in my bucket and on the cutting board for quite a while.  if you note the pectoral fins and anal fins are a translucent/clear color and no resemblance of orange like your ordinary yellow perch, also it does have more bands in the body than an equivalent size yellow perch. i just thought it was neat and different

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2004, 08:40 PM »
actually it was not "pale", it was blue and was out of the water, on the ice, in my bucket and on the cutting board for quite a while.  if you note the pectoral fins and anal fins are a translucent/clear color and no resemblance of orange like your ordinary yellow perch, also it does have more bands in the body than an equivalent size yellow perch. i just thought it was neat and different

He's actually right. There is  such a species as blue perch it is just very rare.

seaweed01

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I have caught a few of the blue perch. I think (believe) that it is just a color
phase of a yellow perch.  What do you think RG, have you gotten any of them?   Are there any of you Biologist or Aquatic degree  people with an idea.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2004, 05:38 AM »
I've caught them ( very few) in several local lakes and bays. They are definitely a different looking fish. I'd imagine it's a color phase of the yellow perch and occurs naturally as do black squirrels etc.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2004, 08:12 AM »
rg,
yes it think you're absolutely right, you see this kind of thing in other species of the animal kingdom.  this was actually the second "blue perch" i caught, the other being several years ago and i believe also in port bay.
thanks,
icejohn

archbishop

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:28 AM »
dangit i couldnt see his blue bluegill now i cant see his blue perch i think there imaginary like the blue smurfs ;)

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2005, 11:51 AM »
I have found a local pond that has those blue perch in them.    Ill see if I can get a good picture of the bluish tink it it.   They are a beautiful perch
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

jawk

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:28 AM »

I/ve caught a number or these in Cayuga lake and in the Oswego river. Don't know much else

BIGDADYG

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2015, 03:23 PM »
two years ago through the ice a good friend took these at just under 15"        
FISHING'S HARD CAN WE GO HOME NOW ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.