FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pike scent reduces walleye bite?  (Read 5655 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Pike scent reduces walleye bite?
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 01:37 AM »
A long time ago a walleye angler was telling me that if they ever caught a pike while fishing for walleye they would add scent or anything to rid his lure of the pike's scent. They told me that your walleye catch will be reduced with a pikes scent on the lure. Now I have never heard of this, and was not sure what to make of it, I know that pike are a walleyes major predator in many water bodies, but I also know that larger walleye do eat small pike.
 Have any of you ever found this to be true? :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

devil-man

Re: Pike scent reduces walleye bite?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 03:27 AM »
Hmm, very interesting theory. I've never heard of it, but it's true that walleye often study their prey closely before partaking. You could be onto something there...

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2005, 12:32 AM »
It's possible, especially for smaller walleyes under 14", as even big pike don't regularly (though they occasionally will) target meals bigger than that.
We have a couple lakes in Colorado where pike and walleyes both live, but I don't have much experience with it.

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I have caught many walleye right after I released a pike.  So far, it has proven itself to me that you catch more walleye with a pike (or another fish) smell on your lure.

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:29 PM »
i would have to say it holds no truth..small pike are actively sought after by predators of all  types...walleyes fitting that classification...i cant imagine the smell changes with size...so if n e thing..i would think that it would just make you lure smell like a small pike...meaning good food.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2006, 12:52 AM »
While not entirely the same, I've found that if I can be bass fishing (let's say I'm using a tube) and not catch anything for quite a while.  I'll catch a crappie, or bluegill, or rockbass, and suddenly I'll catch several bass.  I'll bet the same holds true for pike and walleyes...I believe that the presence of any fish odor will generally aid in catching more fish.  But that's just my $.02

-Zach

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Never found that to be true with walleye and pike....catch both on the same cranks/jigs all the time....I dont think it makes any difference with these at all....Grump

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I don't know if it is true or not, but I do know that my two best walleye spots from last year now have pike on them, and I haven't caught a single walleye off of each of them since early May.  As for pike tasting good...they are THE BEST - better then walleyes

Macgyver

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2006, 12:47 PM »
We've always talked about that but never seems to bother the other fish. If in doubt have a little coverup scent handy to mask the pike slime.

Big Burk

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:58 PM »
i think it increases the bite. i have caught walleye after catching pike and vice versa all the time. i try not to touch the lure and it usually works really good

absolut40

« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2006, 07:23 PM »
Now that you mention it ive seen a decrease in the number of walleyes ive caught after catching a pike.

sperrin

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Alot of the time when walleye fishing I will catch pike and it hasn't really made any difference to me if there is pike scent on the lure or not...interesting topic though
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2008, 04:02 PM »
I don't care what type of fish I catch first when I go fishing. Whether I keep it or release it, I rub the slime from the fish into my hands to mask any odors I may have on them. It seems to increase the bite.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Goonloon

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2008, 10:47 PM »
lake wabigoon is full of both walleye and pike and i never noticed a difference, mind you i was never really paying that much attention to it. However my fishing buddy is very particular about washing his net out of pike slime whislt walleye fishing...his reasoning is....that if he hooks into that a trophy  wallye he says there is more chance of losing it if the net smells like pike because once the wally smells that it will freak out and snap off....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.