FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Poll

3 questions  1)  Do you fish with barbless hooks?  2)  Do you believe that fishing with barbless hooks increase the survival chances of catch and release fish?;  3)  Do you think that you lose more fish while using barbless hooks?

Yes, Yes, Yes
32 (13%)
Yes, Yes, No
39 (15.8%)
Yes, No, Yes
8 (3.2%)
Yes, No, No
8 (3.2%)
No, Yes, Yes
62 (25.1%)
No, Yes, No
22 (8.9%)
No, No, Yes
59 (23.9%)
No, No, No
17 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 234

Author Topic: Poll - Barbless hooks?  (Read 19381 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Poll - Barbless hooks?
« on: Apr 16, 2004, 06:54 AM »
I fish with barbless hooks, but not all the time.  I do believe that you lose more fish while using them.  If I'm in a situation where losing fish will hurt my chances to win a tournament, then I'll use barbed hooks.  Since I bass fish the majority of the time that I fish open water, and since I practice catch and release, I want to make sure that I do my part to keep from killing as many as I can.  I pinch down the barbs when fishing jigs and soft plastic baits except in the situation that I mentioned above.  I don't pinch down hard baits, like spoons, crankbaits, spinnerbaits or buzzbaits.  I think that baits with treble hooks do a lot of damage anyway so having a barb on them is not going to make a difference.  My choice is always to use a single hook bait first before going to a bait with a treble hook.  Why?  In addition to the reasons above, I hate getting myself hooked. :P

I do believe that on deep hooked or gut hooked fish, hook removal is much easier, there is less bleeding, and the survival chances of fish are much better as a result.  However, I don't think that it makes any difference on lipped hooked fish. 

I can see this topic heading for the GOMB forum some day!

Jigwiggler

Re: Poll - Barbless hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2004, 08:28 AM »
     I don't fish with barbless hooks.  I do believe they would aid in releasing a deeply hooked fish.  As far as losing more fish, if you do everthing right you won't lose anymore fish than with barbs.  If you give that fish the slightest bit of slack then he's gone.  Sometimes that can't be helped so in those cases I feel that a barbed hook may help but give fish slack with any hook and you're bound to lose some.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

chrisfrank

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2004, 08:39 PM »
I will occasionally pinch down barbs for catch and release.  As far as fishing with artificials I dont think it improves the survival rate, but it is much easier to remove the hook.  Also i want to cause the least discomfort to the fish, and barbs can tear up lips pretty bad on a tough fighting fish.  I almost always use them when baitfishing for white perch down hear because occasionally a striper will take a bait pretty deep.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2004, 08:50 PM »
Sometimes I mash the barb down on my homemade trout worm spinners so I can release trout and get them back in the water with less tearing, the hook just slides out and back in they go for someone else to catch. I C&R alot, but seldom let walleyes go.
MMMMMMM ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Tournament Drifter

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2004, 09:01 PM »
I believe it all depends on the type of fish... Most game fish with either a bony or fleshy mouth will be just as easily be caught with a barbless hook!!! Barbless penetrates deeper and quicker, reguardless of line or line length...  Panfish are thin mouthed and barbed hooks are always better!   

Angler and quality gear applying just the right amount of pressure, a must!!!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Well we Manitoba anglers have no say as it is strictly barbless. It is not that I do not beleive the fish have a better chance of survival if you use barbless hooks . I just beleive a person has to be careful when removing hooks. I also where a glove on my hand that I handle the fish with. It helps in reducing the slime loss on the fish. If you play the fish right you should not lose it.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

TJ

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Well we Manitoba anglers have no say as it is strictly barbless. It is not that I do not beleive the fish have a better chance of survival if you use barbless hooks . I just beleive a person has to be careful when removing hooks. I also where a glove on my hand that I handle the fish with. It helps in reducing the slime loss on the fish. If you play the fish right you should not lose it.

Your right on with that big walleye. They just went 100% barbless here in Alberta. Good thing too, too many fisherman for the too few lakes, rivers and streams! They all complain about losing fish, but once they learn to fish em, they will be fine.
Sask., where I came from is not barbless yet, but I think they will be soon. The 5 walleye limit is too much, a lot of lakes have slots, reduced limits & C&R regulations at this time.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2004, 11:30 PM »
I've never fished with them. I find that I would be too frustrated by losing too many fish. I want to catch as many as I can. I also dont think they would help my mortality as I lip hook almost all trout with my secret technique, and I rarely deeply hook anything else because I use lures for everything else, which usually don't hook too deep. If a fish that I caught is bleeding, I always keep it, unless it is illegal to do so.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2004, 04:27 PM »
I do not believe in barbless hook regulations. Many biologists, even those here in Colorado, say that barbless hooks do not lower mortality at all in fish. Colorado has no regulations requiring barbless hooks, though we have a glut of waters not allowing the fishing with bait,
Bait mortality is largely matter of how you fish it, not that it's bait. I would say when still fished without the rod in your hand, almost half of fish you catch are deep hooked, and only half of those fish survive when the line is cut. Mortality is probably about 25% when fishing like this, much higher than properly fished lures or flies.
However when you are holding a live bait rig in your hand, you can set when the fish takes, just like with an artificial, and rarely miss a fish. They will be almost always hooked in the lip, so fishing like this, especially on rivers, makes bait mortality the same as flies or lures.
If barbless regs are in your area, I suggest protesting and petitioning against them. Much data is available that shows barbless hooks do nothing for conservation except make anglers lose fish more often. When you don't like a regulation, you should fight to change it rather than just complain. Get the people in your corner.

Tyler

mullen2525

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I fish with barbs and without depends on the species, average size of fish, if I deeply hook a few fish i'll usually start goin barbless so I can get the hooks out.  as for losing fish i'll loose a fish every once in a while wether i'll using barbs or not, havent seen a spike in the amount of fish I lose when fishing without barbs I voted yes,yes,no

buzzbomb

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2004, 08:23 AM »
Yes, Yes, No.  Barbless is where it's at.  You'll get used to playing fish correctly and not lose any more than with barbed hooks.  I started pinching down barbs when perch fishing and throwing back a hundred tiny ones in a day, and when I started targeting burbot, I found that a jig without a barb penetrated the lip much easier, and my hook-up rate improved drastically.  When releasing any fish, it's much easier to take out a barbless (I can't vouch for bass...I've seen that all the guys on the stock car racing, line dancing, bass fishing channel seem to use barbed hooks)  but for the fish I go for it's faster, easier and seems less stressful to the fish.  Also, I've had a hook jammed into my finger once and had to get it cut out at the hospital and if I had to do it over again, I'd choose a barbless!  So when I'm tying hair rigs for carp, the first thing I do with a hook when I take it out of the pack is get rid of the barb.

fISH2WIN

• Set the hook! They aint got hands
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2004, 08:18 AM »
Barbed hooks do not kill fish or cause inceased delayed mortality. Improper handling by fishermen does cause delayed mortality.Fishermen need to learn how to treat and land/release fish properly in order to insure their catches survival. If you handle the fish about its body. Lay the fish in the bottom of the boat,or throw it into the water instead of gently releasing it,you signed its death warrant. Fish2win
Please do not cast into the trees. Most of the fish are in the water

bigdave1018

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2004, 05:55 AM »
for gamefish like bass that are inhale feeders, i believe in barbless. c+r ing 100 baby perch in a day means you aint fishing in the right spot there buzz. hey i feel that its your personal choice either way, not the lawschoice to tell me what hooks i can use. after all arent we the so called top predator in the food chain? theres my 2 cents on this matter.

cnyfishing

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I have never fished with barbless hooks. I think they are overpriced and it is to time consuming to de-barb my hooks. Fishing with barbless hooks does not bean a safe release. Just my oponion  ;)
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:34 PM »
I do fish with them on occasion, nothing against them, but they aren't my favorite.

1) There's is no additional injury to a fish the hits on a barbed hook if removed properly.

2) You will lose some big fish, and bait... :'(

My .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.