FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Fish Stories  (Read 6618 times)

Bronzeback

Big Fish Stories
« on: Mar 04, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Let's hear about some big fish stories.

I'll tell one

Fishing for Perch on Sodus in Mid December, open water. The weather was calm and we were catching some perch here and there in about 30fow. I got bit and set the hook hook on a fish that I knew instantly was no Perch. 25 minutes later my fishing buddy Steve netted a 14 1/2lb Lake trout. Caught it on a 5 1/2 ft, lite action rod, strung with 6lb.

Bronzeback
I prefer Smallmouth with my coffee!!!!

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
Re: Big Fish Stories
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2004, 05:37 AM »
Did you hear about the Sturgeon caught last year in South Sodus Swamp? The guys were Bullhead fishing and hooked a 6' Sturgeon. The story goes that it took them 4 hrs to land it and then the DEC took it from them. This might be a big fish tale but I heard about it several times from some good dudes. :o

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2004, 07:20 AM »
My Dad and Grandfather back in 1970 out behind the Ginna Power Plant near Sodus/Ontario were bass fishing. They caught a Stergeon 6 foot and released.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Too bad about Ginna being off limits now :'( It was a great place to take newbies and kids and get them hooked. d**n 911 ruined alot for the "FREE" American. I've caught everything out there. Salmon, Trout,Smallies, Walleye and perch you name it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2004, 02:37 PM »
SuperX,

You are correct for sure. I used to fish the creek that runs through the complex as well. No more!

I even was asked several questions about fishing just off there property for steelies one day ( the same creek keeps going upstream on to private property).

I like M-16's but confronted by 4 soldiers is interesting for sure. I had no problem with it, even though I know I was fishing, who knows how terrorists will pose. I was impressed by the security.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2004, 06:51 PM »
I was camping about 10 years ago near Orlando FL.  I forgot my fishing stuff, but I did have fishing line and tiny hooks.  I tied some yarn to the hook and went to the swamp in the campground.  I dropped the hook down and a huge bass came to inspect it, it had to have been around 10 pounds, she was on her bed.  I went to a flea market and bought a rod and reel and some lures.  The next morning I ripped a huskey jerk and she bit it, fought her for a little bit then my line snapped.    I did catch alot bass on that trip averaging 12 inches.

Bronzeback

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:03 PM »
BUMP!

Are you all a bunch of small fish catcher's. there must be more big fish stories out there.

Bronzeback
I prefer Smallmouth with my coffee!!!!

mike VDM

« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:45 PM »
We go on a float plane trip every summer to a lake in Adirondacks and I catch at least one 6 lb bass every trip but my two friends have yet to get over 5#.  Not a big fish but they have yet to win the prize $ for the week.  I am not a great fisherman but I found a spot that I seem to get them in every year and I don't go there unless they head in a differnt direction.  One buddy did fish the spot with me but he didn't know it and we didn't hook any there.

Mike

dogfish

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 01:52 PM »
A few years back I was working up on the St. Lawrence River (we were doing an ongoing musky study partly with the DEC).  A couple of the guys had never caught a big catfish before (rod and reel), so I said I would show them how.  We went to the store and got raw liver and gauze to tie it up in and went fishing to this bay where we had a trap and were catching a lot of big cats.  We tossed out our liver offerings with running sinkers and the works and we were catching nothing.  As it started to get dark I took my ultra light rod with 2 lb lest and tied on a 1/32 oz flash jig 3 ft under a small bobber.  I thought maybe to catch a few crappie.  Well the bobber went under and after a fight that seemed to take an hour I landed a 12lb Channal cat.  Were those guys upset.  It was the only fish we caught all night.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Last year a buddy of mine and myself were fishing for bullheads in the middle of the day on Little Sodus.

It was right after a thunderstorm and we were fishing an inlet. The bullheads were going nuts. We already had about two buckets of big ones.

All of a sudden they just shut right off. Just like someone had flipped a switch. After 20 or so minutes without a bite my buddy hooked into something big. Finally after about 10 minutes of fighting the fish we got it in. It was a 44 inch bowfin. The biggest, ugliest, nastiest, thing I ever did see. The thing was actually snapping at me when I was trying to get the hook out of it's lip

We gave it to one of the guys on shore. I don't know what he did with it.

It was weird though how the bullhead just shut right off when it came into the area.
Harold

bigdave1018

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:07 AM »
i can remember taking the family 1 summer to grandmas camp. on the property were 3 real small ponds full of stunted fish. i had my oldest boy with me, he was around 6 at the time and we went down to the biggest pond . he had his snoopy pole all ready for fishing. he threw out and his bobber went under. as he was fighting the golden shiner an extremely large bass decided to play tug of war with my son.after a short fight the bass spit out the shiner it was completely scaleless and in shock. my son was mad about losing the bass but it was a c + r pond only. made my day and a rememberance ill never forget!!!!!!!!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:10 AM »
hey howey aint it funny that ugly guys always fish for and catch the ugly fish. j/k fishing buddy of mine

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:59 AM »
bigdave

I'm pretty ugly, but that thing was uglier. ;D
Harold

JeffH

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:42 AM »
howey,

Did you consider that 44 inch Bowfin as a State record?

reubenpa

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:43 AM »
I was fishing a pond that was run by a sportsmen club. Had to be a memebr to fish there, and I new of a place that catfish hung out.  It was 15 feet off shore on the breast of the dam, but u couldn't fish on the dam, so I casted a worm about 120 feet or so (as far as I could) to this spot and sat there waiting. I used  another rod for gills to liven things up.  I hadn't caught naything for 5 years there since I hadn't fished it in 5 years, but on this one eve, I got a bite...  I was useing 8#line and an old junky Quantam that was good about 8 years earlier.  Well, about 20 minutes and a sore arm, I puled a 30 in 17# channel cat out.  6" wide at the head. Unfortunately I didn't measure the girth... It was huge  it was the biggest ever caught in that pond
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.