FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: northern illinois rivers  (Read 3919 times)

toadhunter2

northern illinois rivers
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:51 PM »
well the pike are starting to run pretty good i fished the rock,pec and kish this week and had good numbers and size rang of fish biggest so far was 37 and smallest just 15 but most are averaging 25-30 big live baits

Outdoorsmen

Re: northern illinois rivers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I really like to fish for big pike. This will be my 1st summer back in IL and that sound like a good time. I was wondering if you could explain what type of water i should be fishing ( back water, rapids, any where ) I should be targeting them. I not looking for your hot spots just a generial location. Also have you had any luck with artificial baits like spoons or minnow type baits. The closest place to me is the rock at Oregon. Thanks
EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE. FISH LIKE HELL, AND MAKE UP LIES

toadhunter2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2010, 08:31 AM »
no the Oregon dame is a good place to start any eddies you can find near the dam is a good starting point and shallow creeks that dump into the rock there is one i have not fished in a few years that used to be good on rt2 between Byron and Oregon. but remember big baits i have been getting most my fish on 6-8 inch chubs and shiners the best way to fish the Oregon dam is to put on a good size slip bobber then  use a three way rig with a fire line or power pro leader  to your hook and use 2-4 pound mono for your sinker drop line that way if you get snagged up you can pop the sinker line off and don't lose your hole rig

toadhunter2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2010, 01:00 PM »
river fishing in northern illinois is starting to pick up the pike and walleyes are bitting pretty good getting pike big females in the low 30 and lots of eating size males 26-30 inches here are some pics from outings last week

jepik

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2010, 04:29 PM »
toad hunter2...looks like you have them dialed in ...good job..

toadhunter2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2010, 06:40 PM »
ya we have been doing not to bad just something to do to pass the time ready to start bass fishing just waiting for the Mississippi back waters to warm up

Hoosier

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Duuuude...sweet fish,,Im also a bass fisherman but i tell ya what I`d take a freezer full of them eyes... WTG... JT

toadhunter2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:02 PM »
well the pike action is starting to finaly get going in northrn illinois rivers we are starting to get good numbers of males from 24-28 inches and a few nice females mixed in all comming on live BIG baits  here are a few from last week [img][/img]img]

toadhunter2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:05 PM »
well that did not work well one more   that is better

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Nice TH2... Looks like a fun time out there..Keep it up and thanks for the posts......keep em coming! Hopefully soon I will be able to show you some of those from a lake in MI. ;D Bass fished all my life and about 5 years back I hooked into a 36" on a spinnerbait with 6lb test  :o  and have been fishn a LOT more for them than the LM through the summer......L8r, Prizz
Keep on keeping on!!!!!!!    Prizz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.