FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quad Cities area  (Read 20358 times)

Catfish78

Quad Cities area
« on: Apr 18, 2010, 01:26 AM »
I will be back state side for vacation in late June and a good part of July. I always like to take my nieces and nephews fishing when ever I can as my brother-in-law isn't much of a fisherman. I will be looking for something easy to do. Pan fishing with bobbers type thing. My question is where? I will be in Bettendorf. Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers

Basspro23

• Bass. A word that turns serious fisherman on.
Re: Quad Cities area
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Go to the Mississippi. Great Sauger fishing lately! I haven't been there, but the DNR said that they were doing good! Same for panfish. Good luck!
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

Catfish78

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2010, 02:52 AM »
So what kind of location should I look for? I haven't fished a river in a long time and I typically fished from a boat.

BBK

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Go to the Mississippi. Great Sauger fishing lately! I haven't been there, but the DNR said that they were doing good! Same for panfish. Good luck!

Uh... NO. Walleye and sauger are spawning, haven't been biting for weeks. Only getting 12" walleye every once and a wile. I've got 74 walleye and 4 sauger this year..... fantastic sauger fishing- NOT. Don't believe everything you read on the DNR website, lots of times its people calling in saying wrong info to get people away from their spots.

Not many places around here to get panfish, my best suggestion would be to try the canal above lock and dam 14. by mid july the bluegill and crappie will be in about 10ft of water and should be biting well.

If your the type that just wants to catch fish, head down to the park in downtown Bett and throw a night crawler on the bottom. You'll catch plenty of drum and catfish.

Catfish78

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:42 PM »
Uh... NO. Walleye and sauger are spawning, haven't been biting for weeks. Only getting 12" walleye every once and a wile. I've got 74 walleye and 4 sauger this year..... fantastic sauger fishing- NOT. Don't believe everything you read on the DNR website, lots of times its people calling in saying wrong info to get people away from their spots.

Not many places around here to get panfish, my best suggestion would be to try the canal above lock and dam 14. by mid july the bluegill and crappie will be in about 10ft of water and should be biting well.

If your the type that just wants to catch fish, head down to the park in downtown Bett and throw a night crawler on the bottom. You'll catch plenty of drum and catfish.

Thanks BBK. Yep, just looking for the kids to get a line stretched.

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Cant beat bank fishing with nightcrawlers, you'll kids will enjoy it for sure. I'll warn you though, the bait shops here in Bettendorf are charging $3 for a dozen crawlers. A dozen crawlers will last 5 minutes bottom fishing in July. You'll catch freshwater drum from 1lb-15lbs and tons of small channel cats.

Basspro23

• Bass. A word that turns serious fisherman on.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:35 AM »
um, what? The DNR said that it was good......  ???
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

Long Grove labs

• AKA: Iowa ice
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Catfish78, Get ahold of me when you get around here. I'll give ya the heads up. I'm always fishin with my 8 yo daughter.

Lance

NewToIa

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:39 AM »
So now that I finally got a turkey, i will be trying to go out and do some fishing this week.  Does anyone have any info on anything that is biting in the area (I am in Bettendorf)? Any information that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  I will go after pretty much anything (walleyes, bass, cats,...carp), whatever is biting.  Thanks!

BBK

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Cats just started on stinkbait in pool 15. Find a rock bank in 8-10 feet of water and you will find cats.

NewToIa

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26 AM »
thanks for the info.  Last year was the first time that i experimented with stink bait, and did not do very well.  do you fish it under a float or right on the bottom?

Long Grove labs

• AKA: Iowa ice
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:49 AM »
I mainly fish it on the bottom, but I have fished it under a float.

BBK

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46 AM »
On the bottom with a 1/2 to 1.5 oz weight, depending on the current. You want it to sit still on the bottom.

NewToIa

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I will have to give that a try. 

I am wondering, are the bass on their beds yet?  I am guessing the lower temps over the last couple of days has really slowed them down, but it is supposed to be warming up for the next couple of days.

BBK

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Been on the beds for weeks. The first group moved up about 3 weeks ago and the big ones are there now.  Also been getting them on topwater frogs, both buzz and hollow body.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.