FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: channel cat rigs?  (Read 12218 times)

davejohnson2

channel cat rigs?
« on: Mar 08, 2011, 12:25 PM »
how do you guys rig up? i have 2 seperate rigs i use.

for 1 i slide a 1 oz slip on the line, tie on a snap swivel, and then attatch a 1/0 or 2/0 snell with some cut bait. when it is at rest the sinker sits about a foot ahead of the bait holding it in place, then i set them up tight lining

my other rig is similar, i tie on a 1 oz bank sinker, then add the same snell about 2 feet above it, so hopefully when it is sitting in the water the angle will make the bait hang either right on or a few inches off bottom, i tight line fish these to.

how do you guys rig up? im sure there are many different ways

slipperybob

Re: channel cat rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:02 AM »
My typical channel cat rig comprise of a 1 oz brass bullet sinker or a lead walking sinker, tie a big swivel, then a snell line of a foot to several feet depending on the water to typically a 1/0 hook.  Sometimes I have the slip bobber set up.  One of the thill slider bobbers big enough to hold a 1/2 oz weight, then a foot of snell to a size 1 hook.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Where we go on the Red it takes a min of 3 oz to stick, 4 in most places and 5 in quite a few.  That river seems to go by at about 30 mph.   The mechanics are the same, simple running rig, but I have a question.  I like to use a rubber shock bead to protect my swivel knot rather than a hard bead both for cats and carp - where's a good cheap source for beads, maybe by the 100 - 200 lot? 
Congratulations to Team Scotland on your silver medal in the World Curling Championships!  :D
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2011, 05:11 PM »
On an In-Fisherman show I saw last fall, Doug Stange was fishing for channel cats in a small river with a no roll sinker right up against the hook and bait.

He just fired the whole thing out and just let it sit on bottom.

He said that the weight does not bother the cats at all, and he did get a good nunber of not bad cats.

Do any of you use this rig with any luck? :-\

WW

slipperybob

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:44 PM »
I think I'll call that a catsup rig.  :rotflol:

The weight doesn't bother the cats at all, but for very rare instances the weight may prevent the hook up.  For me it's more about the bottom structure type.  Since sometimes the length of the line makes the bait dance in the current and that's not as good as a bait that's more stationary.   Mostly I hate having my bait get hung up in between rock cracks, although I've had my line all tangled and wrapped around a catfish before without a real bite.  My line was all slimed up after a very short fight.  I've done just fine at times with a heavy jig and bait.  Haven't tried a bass jig yet, but I'm sure it will work just the same.

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Where we go on the Red it takes a min of 3 oz to stick, 4 in most places and 5 in quite a few.  That river seems to go by at about 30 mph.   The mechanics are the same, simple running rig, but I have a question.  I like to use a rubber shock bead to protect my swivel knot rather than a hard bead both for cats and carp - where's a good cheap source for beads, maybe by the 100 - 200 lot? 
Congratulations to Team Scotland on your silver medal in the World Curling Championships!  :D

If you're not to picky, sometimes some thick aquarium air tubing will do just fine. 

SWAMPGOOSE

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2011, 12:54 PM »
1/2 oz on bottom tie a broze egle hook about 4 inches up  (the hooks with the line on them) and another one 6 inches up from there.  I like to use carp eyes if i bow fished the day before or worms dead minnows, what ever you have they will hit
cream ale is good, rolling rock is great, but land shark is king

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Really depends on the spot, but mostly we use 20lb test, a sinker slide attached to a sinker (pyramid or no-roll) anywhere from 3/4oz to 5oz. with a bead to cushion the knot to the swivel.  From there about a 6in to 1 foot leader to  the hook.   For hooks #1 - #3/0 kahle style for smaller baits and #6/0+ octopus hooks for regular baits.

If the conditions are right, float fishing can be the way to go.   Drifting a lighted float at night down a nice drift is the most exciting form of catfishing I know, and a great way to put BIG numbers in the boat. ;)

SWAMPGOOSE

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:42 PM »
snorkle fishing for them in the best put a minnow in there hole and bam its fing sweet
cream ale is good, rolling rock is great, but land shark is king

SISIF

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2011, 07:48 AM »
Here's a use for broken pic rigs. Why not catch those smaller fish that peck at your bait while you're after cats.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Hi guys,
I saw another interesting cat related tactic on in-fisherman the other day.
They were using just a regular ball head jig with a cut minnow or sucker as bait.

Have any of you ever used just a regular lead head jig for cats? :-\
Do you cast out and let it sit right on the bottom or have it up a ways? ???

WW

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Hi guys,
They were using just a regular ball head jig with a cut minnow or sucker as bait.

WW

A buddy of mine fishes the Catt in a kayak and he uses a leadhead jig all the time.
Paddles over a hole and jigs the hole or along bridge pilings for them.
And he catches a LOT of kitties.

slipperybob

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Hi guys,

WW

I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm gonna use that bass jig and put a piece of cut bait on it.  ;D

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2015, 06:15 PM »
depending on bottom content and whether i'm fishing from shore or on a boat, i'll either fish a modified carolina rig or a modified drop-shot rig.

for the carolina rig, i take an appropriately-sized egg sinker or walking sinker (i strictly fish for cats in still water, there aren't any in the rivers near here) slide it on the line above a bead and swivel, then measure out a 12" flourocarbon leader, to which i attach 2 #4 or #2 octopus hooks spaced 6" apart. for bait i prefer chunks of bluegill or perch, but i've had success with worms and commercial dough baits (particularly berkeley catfish nuggets in fish flavor. i fish this from the boat because it lays out nice and flat when cast, and when i'm fishing close to cover i'll only ever lose the hooks if i get snagged.

the drop-shot rig is even simpler. a heavy cannonball or bell sinker at the end of the line, then 2 octopus hooks above, spaced at 6" again. i fish this one from shore because it gives me casting distance and i can reel up tight to the sinker so i can feel anytime a fish bumps the line. since i cast this from shore, it often encounters weed patches, so be sure to get it up high in the water and reel it in fast when you check the bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.