FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: summer crappie  (Read 6184 times)

mroy44

• Never Give Up!
summer crappie
« on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Where do crappie go in the summer, i catch them in the winter but during the summer ive never really targeted them.  Im just lookin for what type of spot to look for, and waht to use?  Any help is appreciated!

Good fishin!!!  TED, white, and blue

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: summer crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:19 AM »
I like to fish in the weeds in deeper water with minnows, jig and a slip float...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

mroy44

• Never Give Up!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Thanks i wana give it a try, any fish that they tend to hang around?

oldhuts

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Thanks i wana give it a try, any fish that they tend to hang around?

crappie school up near ledges in deeper water,w/easy access to shallows ..w/weed beds and stumps,,
when the water warms they come to shallows and feed,, ck drop offs with your finder,,,especially if there is weedbeds and structure,over the drops,,,have fun

mroy44

• Never Give Up!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2011, 09:59 AM »
thanks

Cobra

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Pretty much do the same thing as in winter, just that the food sources have changed dramatically. They continue to eat minnows but if there is some type of bug hatch going on or nymphs getting ready they're in on it. Spent many evenings throwing a dry fly or nymph just under the surface in 20' of water during a hatch, they can get suicidal and you can see the school smacking/thrashing the surface. Otherwise troll around with a mini crank/rap until they're found, often you can stay close and pick them off with a jig/plastic combo.
AKA - Swift on IS

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:01 AM »
The Crappie stack up under a local bridge here for the spring spawn. I target them at night and cast pin shiners into the bridge lights shadow line. You aren't kidding Cobra, I've seen them hit the bobbers and knock them out of the water ! It gets pretty fast and furious sometimes !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.