FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Finding perch  (Read 6884 times)

Catfish78

Finding perch
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:09 AM »
We finally have open water!!! This season I plan on doing a good bit of perch fishing. Typically in open water I am only looking for pike and the perch fishing I do is with the kids off the dock.
So how to locate them? What to look for?  Do I go about it the way I do on ice, just keep moving till you run into a school? There are large numbers of smaller perch in the lake that we end up getting in our nets. Basic deduction says there are some bigger fish in our lake waiting to be caught. So I know they are there just need some guidance on how to find them.

Thanks. 

Catfish78

Re: Finding perch
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:24 PM »
I see you looking  ::).  No tips for perch?

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Since you are just getting open water I would think that they are getting ready to spawn.  During the spawn I like to use a Lindy type rig with a small (4 - 6 cm) minnow, and drag it across the bottom in the creeks that they run up.  Where I fish I can use a boat and dead stick my second rod with 2-3 hooks spaced out with a minnow on each and a weight or jig on the bottom.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Catfish78

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:31 PM »
No minnows over here unfortunately, at least that I have found in the last 4 years. So I will have to use something else. I do have a big container of Gulp minnows (3" in think) that work well on the ice that I can use. Not really anywhere for them to run to except the north side of the lake has a bay that turns very shallow and weedy, This is the lake I fish, Suolijärvi

Thanks for the advice.

fishhead4268

• Have rod will travel
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22 AM »
like otis said , find the cricks the head to spawn or rivers.  I throw feather jigs tipped with spikes or the gulp in watermelon work well.  Dont stay in one spot to long, keep on the move till you find the bigger fish
EAT, SLEEP, FISH, REPEAT.. I FISH THEREFORE I AM!!  In search of Hedy Mogin steelhead & Browns from Black River west to Ohio catch and realease!! Always lookin for panfish for the freezer!!  Take a kid fishing, it will make him smile and you proud your passing on a great sport!!!!

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57 AM »
I'd target the northern most bay at the river mouth, or the north eastern bay with the two rivers.  I would think that the gulp would work if you can't find or catch minnows.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.