FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BULLS  (Read 25917 times)

mike692

Re: BULLS
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:20 AM »
Mike,
 I know them as Red Eared Sunfish. I hope to get some more tomorrow.
RG

hmmmmmmm. Well we have Red Ears (Lepomis microlophus) here, but they aren't nearly as common as the pumpkinseed(Lepomis gibbosus). The reason I called those pumpkinseed was because they have the color pattern typical of pumpkinseeds.  I don't recall ever having caught a red-ear so I don't know. Just different common names from different regions I guess.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2004, 05:39 AM »
http://www.azfisherman.com/azfish/redearsunfish.html
RG and Mike,

This is a Redear Sunfish,  the telling mark is the black dot at the rear base of the dorsal fin.  Looks to me like those are Pumkinseeds.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:27 AM »
Here's the pics I dug out of the USFWS library.
You are indeed, correct.  48 years of fishing and I'm still learning .

Thanks ;D
RG

Red Eared Sunfish

Pumpkinseed
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Nice fish R G.
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

mike692

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:01 AM »
Thanks Mike.

rg, those are great illustrations. Looks like the easiest way to tell the difference is the wavy lines on the gill plates. I'm sure they both taste similar as well. ;)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:06 PM »
w/o knowing any specifics,  I hope these fish are introduced into some PA waters.  from what I have read,  these gills get to be big at a fast rate,  they have to be a god fight with some big size.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Mike, The largest of those was about 10" and they do fight well. We occasionally get them, in good numbers, weighing close to a pound.

Very tasty indeed.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:17 PM »
They are said to get up to 5 lbs!!!  8o

fastribs85

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:51 PM »
thats big know matter what just hope they dont push out any naturals
naked women and beer we got it all in here

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:14 AM »
NYS record is 1lb 9oz.
RG

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:24 PM »
This is from the February issue of Bassmaster.

"The IGFA All-Tackle world record stands at 5 pounds,  7 ounces,  caught by Amos M. Gay on the Diversion Canal in South Carolina on November 6,  1998."  The update goes on to state that the "Shellcracker" can grow to unusually large weights. :o

wny angler

« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:02 AM »
iv'e caught some of my biggest bulls sight fishing them off the beds in the spring--after spawning the bulls stay on the beds to protect the eggs and just hatched frys,they attack anything the comes near the bed--it's probably not very sporting getting them this way,but it's easy and a lot of fun and i usualy let e'm go this time of the year anyways

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:48 AM »
WNY, get out that flyrod and tie on a tiny marabou leech. More fun than should be legal.

And yes..I release most as well.
RG

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:08 AM »
Nice fish, I use a small tub jig with a small piece of worm. I keep changing colors until I find the right one!  Nice job with the pics!!
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2004, 12:20 PM »
I catch the big gills  year round (excluding ice fishing in the lake which is illegal) in a lake in colorado. I use poppers and flukes. usually catch them when fishing for bass. When I target them, I like a pistol pete about 11/2 feet down from a clear bubble. The gills, though hard to believe, AVERAGE 12" in this lake.
when I can start fishing it in around may I'll prove it with some big gill picks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.