FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BULLS  (Read 25916 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: BULLS
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:32 PM »
I am looking forward to those pics......... I think,  might make me green with envy tough!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:59 PM »
The only bull I ever caught not from this lake wasn't even a gill, but a green sunfish. It broke the state record in colorado, but I didn't realize it and ate it.
It was not at the big blue gill lake that I caught it though.

Funny thing about that lake, the blue gills weigh more than the bass on average :o :o :o

livin4ice

« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:35 AM »
Hey RG, thanks for the pics.  I have been fishing gills all my life and never knew the subtle differences between the two.  Around here when people say pumpkin seed or red ear we assume they are talking about the same thing.  Of course then we also have blue gills and hybrids to figure out.  Oh well, they are ALL fun and taste great.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:21 AM »
Pictures courtesy of the US Fish And Wildlife Service at;

http://www.fws.gov/

Great resource.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2004, 01:05 AM »
I fish the same lake as troutfishingbear. I can tell you that genuine two pound gills are common in this lake, I catch them every trip.
The best gill bait is a fly here. Throwing a pistol pete behind a clear bubble is best for the gills. Guys with their fly rods also catch the heck out of them, and they get some bass too.
Usually I fish for bass as well, so I catch these gills on crankbaits or poppers. They will hit rapala skitterpops like mad, feeding right with the largemouth at dusk.
The lake is catch and release only. It has tons of largemouth bass but they are of modest size (13-15" on average, with a few up over 6 pounds). The large population of bass keeps the gills from getting too numerous. This is a clear lake with tons of shallow weeds. It's commonplace to walk up onto a new part of the lake, and have a large school of hubcap sized bluegills spook and run for the depths.

Tyler

fastribs85

« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:52 PM »
thats crazy
naked women and beer we got it all in here

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:00 PM »
RG,  I still haven't left town yet.  The Skeeter is pointing south and ready to have some 2#+ Gill's put in the livewell.   :)

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:43 PM »
Steve,
You're tuggin' on my fishin' line bud.

What are you waitin for?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:08 PM »
RG,
I just returned from My parents home in Michigan...took some well needed R&R.  I don't think its going to work out this year for Florida, as much as I'd like to, we are pretty busy at work and I have a few flights comming up so I think I'll just stay local for awhile.   Would like to get over to the Niagra area and try for a few Walleye's or head up to the 1000 island area for some Browns.  Alot of fishing within 6 hours instead of driving all the way to FL. just for a few days fishing.  I'll keep you up to date on the plans....maybe something will work out. 

Is there a therapy session in the works for all the guys that are going to have "Shanty" withdrawls?

Tight Lines
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:09 AM »
Steve, I think an "Ice Out Therapy Session" would be in order. Maybe I'll get something started for an IBAY Open Water meeting.

Safe Flights bud!

RG

Jigwiggler

« Reply #40 on: Mar 18, 2004, 12:47 PM »
My biggest gills have come while trolling worm rigs for walleye in Oneida.  These fish came from 25 -30 fow and my biggest was 1 lb 6 oz.  Last time I was there I boated 3 close to that size.  They were usually suspended and located just a little shallower than where the walleyes were hanging.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #41 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:21 PM »
jig wiggler, i agree oneida lk and cazenovia both support an incredible bluegill pop. with 12 inchers not uncommon. its quite the rush catching them huge gills on 2 lb test either through the ice or on open water.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #42 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:31 PM »
BigDave,  you're not kidding its a rush, I thought it was a nice smallmouth!  I have yet to learn this lake well,  although I learn more and more with each trip.  I plan on doing some serious schooling there this summer.  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

crappieman12887

« Reply #43 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:50 AM »
Has anyone here used ice ant or teardrop jigs under a bobber for open water 'gills? Never tried it myself, but have been wondering if it would work.
all the time works excellent,bill

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2004, 06:04 PM »
I like to use a small bare hook and a small leech.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.