FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: THE JITTERBUG  (Read 29246 times)

chez

THE JITTERBUG
« on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:04 PM »
How many guys out there like the JITTER BUG LURE?DO you use 1 at least once a year.What other fish other than bass have you caught on one.My wildest fish was a FALL FISH in the river.Red and white broken back JITTERBUG.

william berger

Re: THE JITTERBUG
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:35 PM »
I'm a fan of the jitterbug- I haven't been upstate for freshwater fishing much in the last few years but I always did well with the frog pattern in between lily pads. Nothing more awesome than watching a 5 lb fish do a full body breach and smash it as soon as it hits the water! I've never tried it in a river though.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2013, 07:01 PM »
I fish Jitterbugs at night all the time. When I started guiding  over 20 years ago it was at night for bass with a jitterbug. I guaranteed a 5 lb LM or a 3 lb SM or better and I never gave a way a trip! Many 7-9 lb LM. This past season I finally got a walleye on one that was about 5 lbs and missed a number of other walleye.  I landed a 9 lb channel cat one time, lots of rock bass, a couple Crappy, a nice sun fish a couple weeks ago and I am still working on it, but I will get a trout on one this year! A great lure!

chez

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2013, 07:25 PM »
My dad had me throwing these lures since I was 9 years old.Im 50 now. I use them every year.Great results for me for 41 years.I can remember every Saturday watchin wresteling with my dad.5pm till6pm.CHEIF JAY STRONGBOW,IVAN PUTSKI,THE GRAND WIZARD GEORGE THE ANIMAL STEEL AND HAYSTACK CAHOON.Right after that we were on our way for bass.The boat in his truck the battery charged and away we would go.NOTHING FANCY 12' john boat 36lb plugler motor a few floatin REBELS ,[,RAPALAS WERENT BIG AT THIS TIME].and a bunch of JITTERBUGS FOR WHEN IT GOT DARK.
These were the best days of my life for a kid.I would loose sleep Friday nite thinking about our fishing trip the next day.WE always had luck after dark with the JITTERBUGS.I can still remember my dad getting on me about trying to set the hook on the first splash.he would say{wait till you feel him on the line before you try to set the hook}I would get so upset because I couldent see the fish hit in the dark but,i could hear it splash.WHAT A SOUND.YOU GUYS THAT USE THEM KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.SINCE THEN I LEARNED TO WAIT FOR THE PULL.DAD DONT FISH MUCH ANYMORE HES 78,I GET HIM OUT FOR GILLS AFEW TIMES A YEAR BUT THATS ABOUT IT.I HAVE SOME GREAT MEMORIES  FISHING FOR BASS WITH MY DAD AND THE JITTERBUGS.GOOD LUCK GUYS.

coho333

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I like using a black jitter bug after dark I have caught some of my biggest bass on them and a few crappie and a pike just before dark one night.
HERE FISHY

myemmy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Love the black at night and the yellow at sunrise and dusk.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2013, 05:24 PM »
It's a great lure, unless you're waterway is a weed filled muck bucket.
With the milfoil and other invasive and aggressive weeds, many watersways are choked withsurface and subsurface weeds making many lures useless unless they are weedless.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2013, 10:50 PM »
When I am any where there are lots of pads or grass, I keep a second rod with a Scum frog style lure at the ready... They work great at night to!

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Great lure that has passed the test of time.  I try to keep several in my tackle box.  Different sizes and two colors. Frog pattern in green and of course black.  Great for bass and northerns. Have had crappies hit it.

gundogwanted

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2013, 12:42 AM »
I prefere to use the hula popper, but have caught countless bass on the bug from PA to Canada. I actually started using it in the early 70's and have about 2 dozen or so and still use them today. The other great thing about the jitter bug, like the musky size with side hooks, is it makes a great retriever for downed ducks in the small ponds...lol.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

chez

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2013, 05:58 AM »
I prefere to use the hula popper, but have caught countless bass on the bug from PA to Canada. I actually started using it in the early 70's and have about 2 dozen or so and still use them today. The other great thing about the jitter bug, like the musky size with side hooks, is it makes a great retriever for downed ducks in the small ponds...lol.

Wow! 8) I would never of thought of it as a downed duck retriever.Great idea.I use a pocket fisherman with a 3/4oz bank sinker to get my crow decoy to the top of the trees for a scout.I throw the weight up as far as I can,over a branch,lower it down,tie my decoy on and,crank it to the top.The weight of the pocket fisherman holds the decoy in place.When the hunt is over ,I lower the decoy down un tie it and reel the line in.CROW HUNTERS TRY THIS TRICK.IT WORKS GREAT.You will be amazed at the amount of crows that come into range with that SCOUT decoy up high.If I had more POCKET FISHERMANS I would put 2 or 3 up.It sucks cutting the line and tying them off.YOU would have to reline the pole 2 or 3 times a hunt.THE pocket fisherman only holds a little line.GIVE IT A SHOT> :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

myemmy

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Can you still find the musky jitterbug. .???

lake snake

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Can you still find the musky jitterbug. .???

Rolly and Helen's Musky Shop and Thorne Bros  have them.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2013, 03:29 AM »
I'm a super big fan of the jitterbug at night. My favorite color is either the black or the red/white and my favorite jitterbug is the broken back, 2 piece jitterbug.

small and largemouth, catfish, fallfish, pickerel, rockbass
and I've have a few owls fly down out of trees along the shore to try and pick up my jitterbugs.  :o

The jitterbug never ceases to amaze me, I catch all sizes of fish too. There are several times that I've caught rockbass and smallies that are smaller then broken back jitterbugs all the time. It's one of those nighttime lures that fish just have to eat!!

I was throwing the red/white and my son was throwing the black broken back jitterbugs and we ended up with this awesome double.

red/white jitterbug

black jitterbug
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Nice smallmouths Wayne...    Looks like you and the boy had a good time...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.