FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bug Lake/Eagles Nest lake  (Read 2146 times)

1smoked_brooklyn

Bug Lake/Eagles Nest lake
« on: Apr 21, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Anybody gonna fish at Bug or Eagles nest in the next few weeks? I usually do a few trips a year on Bug. Can be hit or miss.. hooked into what i thought was gonna be the new state record brookie last year, fought it for a long while, finally pulled it in.. was a beautiful and healthy lake trout, 27". Bummer! I've never really done well on numbers there.. have caught some nice ones though. Smaller ones on Eagles nest.

Swampking89

Re: Bug Lake/Eagles Nest lake
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I just read a little about Bug Lake.sound like acool little lake.is it mostly a early season bite or is it good all summer?staying up near there the end of June.just wondering if it's worth the hike.thanks!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2017, 12:50 PM »
i like the north end of eagles nest for brooks,lot smaller the bug but better drop offs
i use spinners and flys,NOTE it has been a several years since i fished it,small and it
worked good with the tube
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

1smoked_brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2017, 04:01 PM »
The hike is easy! June isn't the best time to fish it but it wouldn't be a waste of a trip at all it is beautiful in there.. If you're gonna do it, try to bring something to float on with you, the shore fishing is difficult. Not many locations to do it.

Swampking89

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Thanks smoked!maybe I can get my grandson to help me carry in a canoe! Any baits recommended? Thanks again!!

Swampking89

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Anyone else fish this lake? If you don't want to post,PM me. Thanks

mcully

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Anyone else fish this lake? If you don't want to post,PM me. Thanks
Many years ago I fished Bug just about every weekend. The go to bait was half or whole night crawler on a gold hook and a split shot. We would cruise casting toward shore trying to keep the rig just above the sunken tree branches. Let it fall and reel it in until you were out of the trees and let it sink to the bottom. Fish would pick it up on the drop. We would also have a rod dropped down at the side of the boat and if you got on the right spot you'd get them on both rods.
other would pull Lake Clear Wobblers with a worm or fly behind it.
Back then Kokanee salmon were in the lake and my friends uncle had a few deep spots that we anchored on and we would jig small pimples or a really small hook with a piece of worm. he liked to toss a few handfuls of canned corn in too. Not sure if the salmon are there anymore.
This was 30 years ago but brookies like worms and wobblers.
I remember an ice out trip to Eagles nest where we only caught 2 trout but mine was a 17" male and my friends was a 16" female.
Nothing better than a shore lunch of the brookies we caught in the morning before heading back down the trail.

Swampking89

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Sounds like the trips we used to take to Horseshoe pond.did you go early spring only?i know we're gonna do the hike so I might bring a pole.any room to cast from shore? Thanks!!

mcully

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Sounds like the trips we used to take to Horseshoe pond.did you go early spring only?i know we're gonna do the hike so I might bring a pole.any room to cast from shore? Thanks!!
went every weekend we could until season closed. Black flies followed by deer flies with a few mosquitos tossed in. Those deeper holes really produced mixed bags in late July and August.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.