FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Surf fishing for a beginner  (Read 3796 times)

Rickwakeman

Surf fishing for a beginner
« on: Jul 27, 2019, 08:09 PM »
I've never surf fished before and would like to give it a try. I've only fished on lakes and ponds (other than a chartered 'deep sea' trip or two) so I'm not exactly sure what kind of tackle or bait to use. I grabbed a mediocrely rated 8ft surf casting rod and reel combo from zammyzons and some braided line. Are there ready made rigs to use with this? What should I use for bait? This will be off a beach in Maine that I've never been to before. Not really targeting anything specific, just want to try something new. I have about a week to get what is needed, if possible.

Tl;Dr I've fished in ponds how do I fish off the beach?

Johnnh

Re: Surf fishing for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2019, 05:55 AM »
What beach are you fishing?
What species will you be after?
Regardless what type of fishing (bait or casting lures) be sure to buy or make a rod tube to put you rod in .
Try not to lay your rod down in the sand as it can mess up your reel.
Be sure to watch some YouTube videos on surf fishing.

If your after blues, be sure to have a good pair of plyers for hook removal and good gloves. Those guys have a nasty set of choppers

John

Rickwakeman

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2019, 12:14 PM »
The beach is in Wells Maine, I don't know the name of it. I've never been there myself, so I don't really have a lay of the land but I've been told other people fish there.
I'd prefer to cast lures since that is what I'm used to, and I don't know what the availability of bait would be. I plan on bringing a tube, either homemade or bought online.
Thanks.

Johnnh

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Try the following
Kastmaster by itself or on the end of a mackerel rig
#7 or #9 floating rapala. I prefer a black or black gold color. They will dive a foot or so and move well through surf
Large popper or chug bait. Light colors in the sun and dark colors early and late.

If you use bait, ask the local bait shop what is working.

Be sure to get your license = you can do that online or stop at the Kittery trading post

Hope this helps
John

Rickwakeman

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I did get an out of state saltwater license. It was only 1$.

I ended up getting a bunch of "surf lures" (spoons, soft and hard swimbaits) from zammyzon and some tackle to make a fish finder rig if I end up using live bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.