FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jboggey’s Sandy Pond  (Read 22086 times)

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
Jboggey’s Sandy Pond
« on: May 10, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

How have you all been since Ice season? Lost touch with most of my hard water buds. Still, I got out with a few of my buds at Kring’s for “ ice out “ and did some perch fishing at Eel Bay just off of Grindstone in the channel. Kept enough to put a few bags in the freezer.

Managed to get the Starcraft in the water @ Godfrey on Sunday. The tilt and trim rebuild did not arrive yet, but thankfully my old bud ,TommyBoy flew up from Virginia and spent a couple of days helping me manually lifting and lowering the motor and , oh yeh fishing too.

Oneida was kind and gave up 3 nice eaters between the 2 of us. Of course I was a gracious host and let TommyBoy catch 2 and I laid back and kept one.😋

Well , you ask, what does that have to do with Sandy Pond? Hold on, hold on , this is my short story and I’m getting to it. After all, you have to frame the picture correctly to get the Proper context.

This does all lead me back to the Pond. I mentioned I got the crippled Starcraft back in the water thanks to Tommy’s strong back. I also finally registered the Otter Stealth so I could place an electric trolling motor on it to cruise the Pond on less windy days. This early morning seemed to be such a day. Not knowing the durability of my fully charged battery , I asked TommyBoy if he wanted to make the long journey from my launch at Blind Creek out to the cut, just to check the status to see if it was still open or not. Reluctantly or not. TommyBoy set out on the quest, not knowing if the battery power was sufficient to get out and back.

Equipped only with my 3 year old back up battery from the Starcraft and my kayak paddle Tommy set out in seemingly calm water. This was about 8 am. I waited two hours for a call as I lost sight of him as the winds picked up and he disappeared around Carl Island.

Did I mention TommyBoy has been working out and is in great cardio condition? Good thing as the battery was fastly waning as he approached the cut. Tommy took a bunch of pictures and checked the depth of the cut and the north and south entry s into the cut from the Pond.

The channel running north into Green Point was extremely shallow. Tommy had to pole his way in . Keeping in mind the Stealth only draws 4 to 5 inches of water, while the South channel exhibited a narrow but 2 to 3 foot depth. The cut out into the lake was open but where he checked was an average of 3 foot depth.

A phone call from Tommy let me know he was ok , but with a much hardier cross wind it took him another hour to get back to the launch. 

Keep in mind the water level is still 3 foot lower than average for this time of year. Not knowing what Mother Nature has in store for us, this could be an interesting summer. Thank you TommyBoy for the effort .

Boggey

filetandrelease

Re: Jboggey’s Sandy Pond
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 04:44 AM »

Thanks for the report Jim

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:52 AM »
Yo Jim,
 Welcome back bud.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Yo Freddy

Thanks for the aerial pictures you posted on Iceshanty showing the cut. Could you post them on this topic page as well.

Dom , are you chasing them brookies my friend?

I am trying to take in all the information I can get effecting the dredging of the cut into the lake. Cathy at Green Point Marina is a store house of knowledge regarding the funding and environmental restrictions to maintain the cut into the lake. 

Simplistically, as I am simple, I would encourage a dialogue of the issue or issues of maintaining access to the lake from the Pond on this topic page.

Boggey

reeleyz

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I like your “short” stories jbog.

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03 AM »

Yes sir

mdm25549

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:11 AM »
It was a sad spring not being able to fish the pond for crappies due to the water being so low.

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Thanks Fred

Boggey

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Thanks Fred
Boggey
No problem 👍

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Yo Jim no brookies but got a bunch of lakers a few weeks ago..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

bbfrogger

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Were those caught from shore ? That had to be fun .....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 04:28 AM »
Were those caught from shore ? That had to be fun .....
  Yes and yes...

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Yo Dom

Great pictures great fish. You are staying busy my friend. I spent a day Friday drifting on Chaumont trying to dangle worm harnesses and jigs in front of them eyes with no luck. Finally anchored up and brought home enough perch for Friday nite dinner .

Boggey

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 06:12 AM »

Jim those perch eat much better anyway 🍽

Tommyboy1971

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 08:40 AM »
I have a feeling Boggey knew the status of that battery, but was having revenge on me for out fishing him for yellow perch the previous day…he was angry I wouldn’t let him keep the six inchers to add to his count!
It was nice being around my good friend, when I wasn’t out fishing him, we played some cribbage, which I let him win of course. Had a fish fry, some apple pie from scratch, are a bunch of venison. I had a really good time, and will be back up this summer to put another session on!
Thanks for a great time Jim!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.